The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

17 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I usually bin the covers, afterall, you only need the disc to play the film. Unless the covers are different to the actual blu ray case.

Totally different to me. In times of streaming services and loveless single disc releases in cheap keep cases (if at all) the physical extras of certain medias are the main attraction for me as a collector. And I'm willing to spend a lot of money for that.

Thank goodness there are some folks who think like me. Otherwise, at some point everything will only be available in digital form and you are 100% at the mercy of the streaming providers.

Edited by lastninja
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, lastninja said:

Totally different to me. In times of streaming services and loveless single disc releases in cheap keep cases (if at all) the physical extras of certain medias are the main attraction for me as a collector. And I'm willing to spend a lot of money for that.

Thank goodness there are some folks who think like me. Otherwise, at some point everything will only be available in digital form and you are 100% at the mercy of the streaming providers.

AGREED 100, no 1000% !! For me, the cover art is a part of the movie and the same for the music ! I avoid digital movies for this precise reason, unless the series I want never have been released in physical format !

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lastninja said:

I hate those crappy blu ray covers which try to have less plastic on the front & rear. I definitely bin them and buy a proper case, transferring the goods. 

As for the covers, I might add that as I've only got back into the Asian film collection, to my knowledge I haven't binned any of the covers. 

The only covers I have binned are those from other movies, like American/British stuff. 

Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to the thread I was replying in, to make it look as though I was an ungrateful sod, binning beautiful cover art, even if sometimes it's a pain in the arse to remove the slip covers to get to the case. 

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
45 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to the thread I was replying in, to make it look as though I was an ungrateful sod, binning beautiful cover art, even if sometimes it's a pain in the arse to remove the slip covers to get to the case. 

Not at all! What's meaningful to some simply isn't to others. I pre-order a lot of Shout! Factory Blu-rays, but I'm not a fan of some of the new artwork that comes as Limited Edition posters and wouldn't hang them up. I roll them up together in a wide-diameter tube labeled "Shout! Factory posters" and may sell them someday.

Though I must say- The Invincible Ungrateful Sod would make for a memorable forum name... :xd:

Let me know if you decide that you want to change it to that.  Or how about The Slipcover Slayer? :bigsmile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Love Slipcover Slayer lol. My mind certainly isn't awake on a Friday evening to think of those. 

That's a good idea about the posters. I haven't put any of the posters up that's in the 88 films/Eureka. Saying that, the Burmese sand painting I got from Myanmar is still under my mattress. (to flatten it) and I haven't YET had the chance to put it up.

Would rolling them up flatten the creases out over time or would it be better to place them between a press for a year or so. 

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Love Slipcover Slayer lol. My mind certainly isn't awake on a Friday evening to think of those. 

That's a good idea about the posters. I haven't put any of the posters up that's in the 88 films/Eureka. Saying that, the Burmese sand painting I got from Myanmar is still under my mattress. (to flatten it) and I haven't YET had the chance to put it up.

Would rolling them up flatten the creases out over time or would it be better to place them between a press for a year or so. 

Sand painting? That's intriguing.

Yes, if you roll them tightly it will help remove the creases.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Sand painting? That's intriguing.

Yes, if you roll them tightly it will help remove the creases.

Lol, well I don't know exactly what else it's called. It's made with just coloured sand on glue.

16779136667688567821421261753316.jpg

20230304_070902.jpg

20230304_070839.jpg

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Lol, well I don't know exactly what else it's called. It's made with just coloured sand on glue.

16779136667688567821421261753316.jpg

20230304_070902.jpg

20230304_070839.jpg

Wow ! Beautiful  !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Wow ! Beautiful  !

Thanks. I'll definitely get round to removing those creases now. Just need the tubing.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
7 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Thanks. I'll definitely get round to removing those creases now. Just need the tubing.

Wow! Beautiful art. But I thought you were referring to the Shout! posters- which I'm now remembering are sent rolled, so my assumption made no sense. Are these pieces on paper or fabric? I'm not sure how to remove creases from this type of art. If I had to guess, I'd get a tube about 4 inches through and wrap these around it tightly (not inside it), one over another. Then wrap something non-abrasive around them to keep them safe. You'd be better off Googling the best way though rather than following my guesses.

I haven't opened it yet, but I was looking at the 4K DRAGONS FOREVER and sort of amazed such a thing exists. Way back in January 1998 when Tai Seng video released the film on VHS I thought I was in Heaven because of that. Not only was it the correct aspect ratio, but it had big, easy to read subtitles and impressive picture quality. I was working part time in a big video store in Philly and I pre-ordered a subbed copy for myself and convinced my boss to order one to rent for the store, but he decided the English dubbed version would be best for that. I hadn't ever seen it dubbed, so I took it home to watch (and copy for my collection) and was shocked that it included different scenes! And, they were great bits with Yuen Biao! It always irked me that whichever way I watched it I'd be missing something. The same wound up happening with RIGHTING WRONGS and MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS- with the subbed and dubbed versions footage containing variations. 25 years later and fans can now see these films with all the footage combined in one version thanks to @OldPangYau's "Hybrid Cuts", plus all available audio tracks, and even special features because of the combined work of fellow fans like @Irongod2112, @chen lung, @Mike Leeder, @Karlos, Frank Djeng (who was working at Tai Seng when those VHS releases came out), and many others. The respect for these Hong Kong films and the incredible work and editions produced by 88 Films (and others) is simply amazing. I'm thankful that I get to be a part of this, and thrilled to have these films in prestigious editions to help me escape- to temporarily leave behind the woes of life. 

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 3

16 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Does Iceman Cometh have a hybrid cut from 88 Films?

It has hybrid soundtracks for the Taiwanese version.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Hell yeah!FB_IMG_1678295260262.jpg.32f550b7b0249ec32bd60e0a410520a8.jpg

I love this cover ! I never watched this movie. Is it good ? Humor + guns + martial arts ?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I love this cover ! I never watched this movie. Is it good ? Humor + guns + martial arts ?

For me it is one of best entry in the Mr. Vampire series. Great villainess, too (Michiko Nishiwaki).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I've never seen it but I'm 100% having this to rectify that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I haven't seen Magic Cop either but my pre-order's in!

Nor me. Only seen the Mr Vampire series and Exorcist Master.

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

The US release of Gorgeous now has an Apirl 11 release date, however 88's website still says March 27 for the UK release. Wonder if God of Gamblers will still be April 11. 88 and their delays man. Their June slate will orobably be pushed back to September lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

The US release of Gorgeous now has an Apirl 11 release date, however 88's website still says March 27 for the UK release. Wonder if God of Gamblers will still be April 11. 88 and their delays man. Their June slate will orobably be pushed back to September lol

This is confusing me, isn't Gorgeous a US only release?

Darth Kermit
43 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

This is confusing me, isn't Gorgeous a US only release?

Nope, UK too. It is on their website. I'm not sure how many US only releases they have. In the Line of Duty qnd Police Story 3 are upcoming, but before that, just Magnificent Warriors I think. Anyway, this is a dual region (and so are Magic Cop and Taxi Hunter for other upcoming releases).

• Like 1

Graeme Of Death

Was hoping Gorgeous would be a 4k release. I bought it off Apple TV in 4k and it looks stunning, even if it's not that great a film.

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

88 Films posted on their Facebook that "discs approved and art printed... just awaiting delivery" for the ITLOD US boxset. Could that mean it will be released before May, which is its current release date? 88 usually delays things, so this post made me a bit confused and perhaps I shouldn't be expecting this one early. On time would be fine by me, since on time is better than late anyway.

• Like 2