The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Twin Dragons, awesome!  That was my very, very first Hong Kong action movie.  I've been hoping for that one to get some love for a while now.

• Like 5

Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Goddammit 88/eureka god please stop releasing them all at once. 

I know i begged you for deluxe editions and promised to get them (and I'll definitely do) but please allow us (especially me) short breaks between these releases. Tough financial times...

Twin Dragons - instant buy

Fight back to school - most probable buy, but can someone give a short review? (Any martial arts in it? If just for the comedy: I know the original audio is the best and newly it works for me with subtitles with martial arts movies. But following the story/the substance is very difficult for me (since no native englishspeaker). So my question: if just for the comedy, could I watch it english dubbed and get a similar experience or are they dubbed stupidly and badsounding?

And what about the other movies (martial arts??)

Oh my god-> vampire box, burning paradise, twin dragons, fight back, maybe some others... I think this will be my first time getting trouble with my wife because of my orders

Edit: so can I say that my wife will fight me back to school?

Edited by AslanBey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

TigerCage1990
4 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Goddammit 88/eureka god please stop releasing them all at once. 

I know i begged you for deluxe editions and promised to get them (and I'll definitely do) but please allow us (especially me) short breaks between these releases. Tough financial times...

Twin Dragons - instant buy

Fight back to school - most probable buy, but can someone give a short review? (Any martial arts in it? If just for the comedy: I know the original audio is the best and newly it works for me with subtitles with martial arts movies. But following the story/the substance is very difficult for me (since no native englishspeaker). So my question: if just for the comedy, could I watch it english dubbed and get a similar experience or are they dubbed stupidly and badsounding?

Oh my god-> vampire box, burning paradise, twin dragons, fight back, maybe some others... I think this will be my first time getting trouble with my wife because of my orders

Edit: so can I say that my wife will fight me back to school?

That sounds like a great movie, My wife fight me back to school.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Darth Kermit

I really hope with all these Ringo Lam films getting announced recently, we see more of his stuff. I'm not super up to date on who has what rights, but Undeclared War was the same studio that Lam made the On Fire films with right? And Full Contact and Touch and Go? Does anyone know is there is hope for those films after these recent announcements? Also unrelated to that, who owns the rights to Who Am I? in the UK? Doez Twin Dragons give us hope for that and Rumble in the UK?

• Like 3

It’s almost mind boggling how much prime HK stuff we’re getting after years of complete drought.

Can’t wait to own everything announced!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, AslanBey said:

The first Fight Back to School movie has some action (some shootouts and one very short fight scene), but it's mostly just a comedy. Even the shootouts are tame and mostly comedic. The other two Fight Back to School movies have almost no action whatsoever. I'd say if you're looking for martial arts, the Fight Back to School movies are not the way to go.

I don't think English dubs were ever done for these movies. From what I've heard, the Cantonese dialogue has some esoteric humor and would be hard to translate. I'm doubting an English dub will be included, but I guess we'll see. I do like these movies a lot though (especially the first and third), despite being low on action.

• Like 4

Super Ninja
4 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

I really hope with all these Ringo Lam films getting announced recently, we see more of his stuff. I'm not super up to date on who has what rights, but Undeclared War was the same studio that Lam made the On Fire films with right? And Full Contact and Touch and Go? Does anyone know is there is hope for those films after these recent announcements? Also unrelated to that, who owns the rights to Who Am I? in the UK? Doez Twin Dragons give us hope for that and Rumble in the UK?

Say Full Contact and School on Fire uncut for starters? 

• Like 5

Darth Kermit
21 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Say Full Contact and School on Fire uncut for starters? 

Oh hell yeah. A nice boxset of the On Fire films would be heaven, and then definitely Full Contact.

• Like 3

TigerCage1990
11 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Don't know about Who Am I? It's very complicated.  Rumble is own by Warners and they want lots and lots of money below 88's budget to pay them for the rights same with Drunken Master 2 and Thunderbolt. 

All i can say that we might get Full Contact some time in the future.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, Drunken Monk said:

98486D55-CDA5-4CE7-81DA-C13B14312034.jpeg

Looks like I'll have to email 88 films in England then in regards to Magic Cop. It gave no results on their website but looking on 88 films US, it's already up for pre-order.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Looks like I'll have to email 88 films in England then in regards to Magic Cop. It gave no results on their website but looking on 88 films US, it's already up for pre-order.

Magic cop UK release https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cop-Blu-ray-Region-B/dp/B0BWZQHSVW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IWZDA86HBTT5&keywords=88+films+blu-ray+magic+cop&qid=1677607330&s=dvd&sprefix=88+films+blu-ray+magic+cop%2Cdvd%2C114&sr=1-1

• Like 1

Darth Kermit
6 hours ago, TigerCage1990 said:

Don't know about Who Am I? It's very complicated.  Rumble is own by Warners and they want lots and lots of money below 88's budget to pay them for the rights same with Drunken Master 2 and Thunderbolt. 

All i can say that we might get Full Contact some time in the future.

I saw someone say that the last person to release Twin Dragons in the UK was Buena Vista, according to thr BBFC website I believe. And they said that Rumble was also released last by Buena Vista in the UK. I don't know how to check the BBFC, but he sent 2 screenshots (this was on some facebook martial arts group). I don't know if that makes any difference on the rights though, just thought to mention.

• Like 1

I think Buena Vista was just a distributor.

I could be wrong, but it seems ‘Rumble’ was distributed by Miramax in the UK, produced/owned by New Line Cinema/Warner; ‘Twin’ was Dimension (possibly licensed from Media Asia, the sales agent of the Hong Kong Film Directors’ Guild).

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 4

88’s Blu-ray of ‘Twin’ will be UK-only (unless perhaps rights change in the future).

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
18 hours ago, Katakuri said:

It’s almost mind boggling how much prime HK stuff we’re getting after years of complete drought.

Can’t wait to own everything announced!

Hk cinema hitting the mainstream again. I dig it. 👍

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lastninja said:

Hopefully Magic Cop is getting a slipcover, too.

I usually bin the covers, afterall, you only need the disc to play the film. Unless the covers are different to the actual blu ray case.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I'm pretty sure that all initial releases from 88 Films come with a slipcover.

30 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I usually bin the covers, afterall, you only need the disc to play the film. Unless the covers are different to the actual blu ray case.

@Yggdrasil, just a thought: a lot of collector's that miss the initial slipcover-inclusive releases would purchase those from you. You might want to consider listing them on our forum instead of tossing them, or on eBay. You could pocket some extra cash and make fellow fans very happy.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Darth Kermit

I believe 88 always starts with a slipcover on first release and then once they sell out, no more. Unless of course it's a hardbox, then you don't get a slip.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My Blu-ray of MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS arrived today. It's been a long while since I watched it, so it should be a fun re-visit. I'm so happy they're releasing a nice selection of Michelle Yeoh movies.

Also great stuff like MAGIC COP, the FIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL movies, GOD OF GAMBLERS and more. Their slate is loaded with goodies.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

1 minute ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm pretty sure that all initial releases from 88 Films come with a slipcover.

@Yggdrasil, just a thought: a lot of collector's that miss the initial slipcover-inclusive releases would purchase those from you. You might want to consider listing them on our forum instead of tossing them, or on eBay. You could pocket some extra cash and make fellow fans very happy.

Anything designed by you mate, I wouldn't chuck. For instance, Untold story. If that was a slip cover, I'd keep it. Good quality cardboard would stand out far better than paper behind a  plastic cover.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Anything designed by you mate, I wouldn't chuck. For instance, Untold story. If that was a slip cover, I'd keep it. Good quality cardboard would stand out far better than paper behind a  plastic cover.

Aw, thanks. I wasn't even thinking of it that way (stuff I did the art for), but that's nice of you to say.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Exactly my thought

• Like 3