The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Money saver for my wallet.Not too interested in those two.

Looking forward to finally being able to retire my old Discotek dvd for Taxi Hunter. Magic Cop not so much but I'll probably still buy it to support the label. But I admit that It is getting harder to justify double dipping and buying titles that you're 100% enthused about in these inflationary/recessionary times though.  I did recently give up drinking and smoking cold turkey (for health reasons), so I can justify or rationalize my blu ray purchases by saying that extra discretionary income is what I would've spent on my bar tab or smokes. :BL-Laughing:

• Like 4

I wonder if Magic Cop will be censored? No sign of it on the BBFC website as of yet. I also didn’t think Taxi Hunter was a category 3. Unless it was downgraded after the theatrical release.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Sqoops said:

I also didn’t think Taxi Hunter was a category 3. Unless it was downgraded after the theatrical release.

You're right... TH was never CATIII.

No love for Magic Cop? It's been at least 15 years since I last saw it, but I recall thinking it was the absolute best of its kind, and better than any of the Mr. Vampire films.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 2/11/2023 at 12:21 AM, nahnahnah said:

gXPLbQX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

diYeVkP_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Not titles I was expecting. But this is good news because this shows that overseas distributors, like 88 and Eureka, can obtain rights to other Hong Kong classics beside the ones that are related to Hong Kong cinema's biggest names. I'm all for forgotten or hidden gems.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Is Magic cop in the same vein as the Vampire movies with Sammo, or as The Musical vampire, i mean with a little bit of humor and kung fu ?

It's been ages since I've seen it but I recall it having some decent effects and the finale being pretty good. Yeah it's more humor based with a tiny bit of kung fu. But the final showdown was good. I remember Lam Ching-ying using..

Spoiler

lighter fluid to make an improvised flame thrower and turning Michiko Nishiwaki into toast

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'm sure we already new this but Frank Djeng said on a recent podcast that we can expect more Stephen Chow, Jet Li, a few Jackie Chan and some Bruce Lee titles in the future.

I know some of these won't be 88 Films' titles but I thought I'd post it on here since I'm sure a number of them will be.

• Like 9

I assume the Bruce Lee titles are the Arrow UHDs. 

At this point, are there any worthwhile Jackie Chan titles that haven't been released? (I know there are a few that still haven't had US releases, but, other than Who Am I? in its OAR, that mine seems pretty tapped out.)  Looking forward to seeing what the Stephen Chow and Jet Li titles end up being.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dwk said:

At this point, are there any worthwhile Jackie Chan titles that haven't been released? (I know there are a few that still haven't had US releases, but, other than Who Am I? in its OAR, that mine seems pretty tapped out.)  Looking forward to seeing what the Stephen Chow and Jet Li titles end up being.

The Project A movies don't have original cuts released in the USA as far as notable Jackie movies.

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers
5 hours ago, dwk said:

I would love a nice release of Twin Dragons, underrated in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

9 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

The Project A movies don't have original cuts released in the USA as far as notable Jackie movies.

Yeah and 88 has teased those.  I suspect those are the JC titles that Frank Djeng was talking about. 

4 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

This appears to no longer be under the thumb of Miramax, so it would be nice to have a good uncut Blu-ray.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Killer Meteor
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm sure we already new this but Frank Djeng said on a recent podcast that we can expect more Stephen Chow, Jet Li, a few Jackie Chan and some Bruce Lee titles in the future.

I know some of these won't be 88 Films' titles but I thought I'd post it on here since I'm sure a number of them will be.

I assume the Jet Lis would be the first two SHAOLIN TEMPLE movies and THE HITMAN. And maybe HIGH RISK.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I assume the Jet Lis would be the first two SHAOLIN TEMPLE movies and THE HITMAN. And maybe HIGH RISK.

All I want is New Legend of Shaolin.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, Drunken Monk said:

We haven't gotten much Jet Li and Stephen Chow movies yet. In this case of Jet Li, I'm hoping for Born to Defence, Dragon Fight, The Tai-Chi Master, Fist of Legend, The Bodyguard from Beijing, My Father is a Hero, Black Mask, and Hitman.

As for Stephen Chow... I want to see All For the Winner, the Fight Back to School trilogy, Love on Delivery, and Shaolin Soccer

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Very true. Very nice movie. Maybe the humour is not liked very much but in my eyes definitely an absolute JC classic.

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

All I want is New Legend of Shaolin.

Definitely. Plus Fongsaiyuks plus Taichi master plus some others :D please please make it happen. Definitely supporting them; first day purchases for me.

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Most likely titles previously released on bluray before. 

Maybe the same like Snake and Crane...

• Like 2

The ones I really want:

Jackie Chan - Magnificent Bodyguards

Jet Li - pretty much anything of his, I really like Jet Li but in particular The Bodyguard from Beijing, the Shaolin Temple trilogy and Hitman

Stephen Chow - From Beijing with Love

Edited by De Ming Li
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

The ones I really want:

Jackie Chan - Magnificent Bodyguards

Jet Li - pretty much anything of his, I really like Jet Li but in particular The Bodyguard from Beijing, the Shaolin Temple trilogy and Hitman

Stephen Chow - From Beijing with Love

Those would be good, but the final movie in the Shaolin Temple Trilogy got released as part of Shawscope Vol 2 since it was a Shaw Brothers production. Would love all of those to get good blu ray releases, especially the first to Shaolin Temple movies.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Those would be good, but the final movie in the Shaolin Temple Trilogy got released as part of Shawscope Vol 2 since it was a Shaw Brothers production. Would love all of those to get good blu ray releases, especially the first to Shaolin Temple movies.

Of course, thanks for the reminder  :smile

• Like 2

Special Features on In the Line of Duty set:

ROYAL WARRIORS - SPECIAL FEATURES:

* 2.0 Cantonese Mono Theatrical & Alternate Mixes
* 2.0 Classic English Dub + 5.1 New English Dub
* Newly translated English subtitles
* Audio Commentary by Hong Kong Film Expert Frank Djeng
* Missing Aeroplane Inserts
* Cantonese & English Trailers and more!

YES, MADAM! - SPECIAL FEATURES:

* Hong Kong Cut featuring: Cantonese Original Theatrical Mix Mono & Cantonese (Home Video Mix) Mono Original Effects
* 5.1 New English Dub + Export Version with classic English Dub
* Audio Commentary by Frank Djeng (HK Version)
* Interview with Cynthia Rothrock
* Select Scene Commentary with Cynthia Rothrock and Frank Djeng
* Interview with Men Hoi
* Archive Interview with Michelle Yeoh
* Archive Battling Babes Featurette
* Hong Kong Trailer

IN THE LINE OF DUTY III – SPECIAL FEATURES:

* 2.0 Cantonese Mono with English Subtitles + 2.0 English Mono
* Audio Commentary by Frank Djeng and Michael Worth
* Interview with John Sham by Frederic Ambroisine
* Hong Kong & English Trailers and more!

IN THE LINE OF DUTY IV – SPECIAL FEATURES:

* Hong Kong cut, featuring: 2.0 Cantonese Mono with English Subtitles + 2.0 English Mono
* Export Version of the film featuring the Classic English Dub
* Audio Commentary with Frank Djeng and F.J. DeSanto (HK Cut)
* Archive Interview with Donnie Yen
* Hong Kong & English Trailers

Additionally:

• Stunning new 2K restorations of all 4 films in 1:85:1 aspect ratio
  • Brand new artwork by Sean Longmore
  • 100-page book by Matthew Edwards featuring interviews with Shan Tam, Michael Parker, Stephan Berwick & Michael Woods PLUS Archive stills, production imagery, posters & more
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original artwork
  • Double-sided foldout poster

• Like 5

thundered mantis

About the US Gorgeous release, I'm holding on it for the commodity of getting a R2 Blu release, but no one seems to announce it. Those 88 films USA licensed titles will also be released by 88 films on this side of the pond, by another company or it's better to just grab the R1 edition? 

Edit to write that I have just seen it announced on the 88 page...

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 2

TigerCage1990

Fist of Legend, Tai Chi Master and Dragon Fight.

Yes, I know Warners has Dragon Fight doing time at a Warners vault but....88 can maybe go to a company in Germany to the rights perhaps.

2022-02-17 (5).png

• Like 2