The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

On 12/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, BigDruDogg said:

Wow that’s really cool!! I would love to see that!

I wanted to do that at one point as well, but unfortunately I just don’t have the wall space plus here in the US those frames run almost $20 apiece.
So I went with the less sophisticated Wallpaper type of tactic. I bought a really nonabrasive double-sided tape and put them on the walls of my movie room.. I do use a special tape so I can take them off and put them back in the case w/o damaging the poster.  I’m running out of space even with this method, though. 😂 maybe I can convince my wife to allow some of the posters in other rooms 😑

3E7385C0-7E9B-441F-B69B-53616C7BBE81.jpeg

Fantastic looks epic 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, saltysam said:

direct from 88

Bugger. Had I of known that, I would have got it sooner. I thought to wait until after Christmas. I did see on their site, there's another Snake & Crane but the cover is shyte. Is this in better quality than that older release?

Just now, Yggdrasil said:

Bugger. Had I of known that, I would have got it sooner. I thought to wait until after Christmas. I did see on their site, there's another Snake & Crane but the cover is shyte. Is this in better quality than that older release?

this is the new LE expensive edition with a supoosed new transFer and subs (original release were sdh) not watched it yet

• Like 3

On 12/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, Graysman said:

Hi  thankyou. I do have all my posters framed i'm still sorting a special room out to put up all the posters once it's complete i will send pictures of the completed room 

Me too :thumbsup Eureka and Arrow should include posters. it's basically the main reason I buy the new releases.

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 1

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin includes a Japanese version is there anywhere that lists the difference between this and the Hong Kong version? Also why is the Cantonese version that appeared on the last 88Films release not on this one?

• Like 1

TigerCage1990
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin includes a Japanese version is there anywhere that lists the difference between this and the Hong Kong version? Also why is the Cantonese version that appeared on the last 88Films release not on this one?

The Japanese verison features different music from the Chinese verison. The last part,  I'm not sure why the Cantonese verison was excluded from this release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerCage1990 said:

The Japanese verison features different music from the Chinese verison. The last part,  I'm not sure why the Cantonese verison was excluded from this release.

Ok, I noticed the running time for both was identical so it makes sense that the only change is the music.

• Like 1

TigerCage1990
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

Ok, I noticed the running time for both was identical so it makes sense that the only change is the music.

Exactly, nothing different except the music/insert songs added in the Japanese verison's of JC flims. Like Eureka did with My Lucky Stars Trilogy including music from the Japanese verisons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, andy338 said:

If I recall correctly, the Cantonese track from previous release was not from the film's theatrical release. Instead, it was a newer dub done much later. A theatrical Cantonese track for this film is either hard to find or doesn't exist, so I think they opted to just keep it off this new edition.

Also, for the Japanese version, there's no runtime difference. The Japanese version just has a different soundtrack for certain scenes, but it's still in Mandarin all throughout. Here's a clip from the Japanese version. The song that plays during the first three minutes was made for the Japanese release, whereas the original HK version doesn't have music:

• Like 12

sifu iron perm
On 12/20/2022 at 3:44 PM, Graysman said:

Had this for a couple of days now Iceman Cometh 😊

4678580C-1199-4231-825A-7180BE0DCD3C.jpeg

i badly want to double dip for the taiwanese cut but i own the Vinegar Syn release..

25 quid though! Maybe ill ljust leave it as that or find a cheaper deal later on..

• Like 2

Taking a look at this video, there is a significant improvement on the audio/video quality from the previous release. This new Blu-ray has a new 2k restoration of the original negative, whereas the previous Blu-ray doesn't state it's from the original negative, so it might have been from a different source(?). Also, the color grade on this new Blu-ray is MUCH better. Definitely planning on double-dipping.

Honestly, even if it didn't have a new restoration, the new @KUNG FU BOB poster for this release is stunning, and I would want to buy the release JUST for the poster.

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 3

On 1/3/2023 at 8:24 AM, KenHashibe said:

Honestly, even if it didn't have a new restoration, the new @KUNG FU BOB poster for this release is stunning, and I would want to buy the release JUST for the poster.

I totally agree. Nowadays, where watching and archiving movies digitally is so simple, physical presents like posters and lobby cards are big big pullfactors for purchase.

So dear labels... you got me 😙

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Snake & Crane is on its way :thumbsup.

it might even be here before the 16th, a nice bonus.

I love the Lo Wei/Jackie stuff, but then again, I rarely find a movie in the genre that I just flat out dislike.

• Like 5

Anyone have pictures of the new Snake and Crane release to hold me over?

Apparently, Louis Dejoy is now working for the Royal Post. Everything is FUBAR  :lol:

18 hours ago, DiP said:

My copy of Iceman Cometh will arrive this week, possibly on Friday.

Already received and watched last week. I realized that I had totally forgot a lot of things going on in the movie, I only remembered of the change of era, but not even Maggie Cheung's presence !! 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:44 PM, HeavenSword said:

Check out 88’s Instagram, Magic Crystal is coming soon !! 

Hell yeah! I've been delaying getting Magic Crystal from DDD for so long in hope it'll get a UK release. This is great news!

• Like 4