The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

thelastweaponmaster
5 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

It is frustrating that they are very consistent with announcements and releases. But isn’t only like two or three guys running the label? I’m a little more forgiving. 

I think you meant that 88 Films " are very (in)consistent with their announcements and releases". ..    Even if it is only 2 o 3 staff running the company, they can be a bit more forthcoming with their announcements pr information.   It would only be to their benefit.  Or else don't make their (premature) announcements until they have all of the details ironed out.  Eureka doesn't usually announce or schedule their releases until they are ready to announce the extras/features too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

I think you meant that 88 Films " are very (in)consistent with their announcements and releases". ..    Even if it is only 2 o 3 staff running the company, they can be a bit more forthcoming with their announcements pr information.   It would only be to their benefit.  Or else don't make their (premature) announcements until they have all of the details ironed out.  Eureka doesn't usually announce or schedule their releases until they are ready to announce the extras/features too.

That’s the other issue. They are in an arms race with Eureka and other labels. I don’t think they would’ve put the preorder up today if Eureka hadn’t announced the releases of 3 and 4. So they are rushing announcements just so people are aware they have the same release in another territory. They don’t want Region A people to buy the Region B release. It’s not Ike 3 years ago when nobody else was even considering these in Region A. 

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 4

I've ordered 2 of 88's In the line of duty boxsets I've been wanting these for a while also have 1 of all 4 coming from Eureka as well I really hope Eureka and 88 put out Angel/Iron Angels and Killer Angels I am not sure how far they will go with girls with guns but if thats all they decide to put out I would be extremely happy even if they only do Angel/Iron Angels as to me In the line of Duty 1-4 and Angel/Iron Angels are the top 5 Girls with guns

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Really? I thought Eureka spent lots of time on subs and such, remastering them. Are you sure about that?

Eureka subtitle work is a mixed bag imo. Good (but not perfect) subtitle work: Eastern Condors, The Lucky Stars trilogy. Average subtitle work: The Magnificent Butcher, The Prodigal Son.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Eureka subtitle work is a mixed bag imo.

Worst is "last hurrah for chivalry" for what I have seen. Most of dialogue is very smooth actually but subs disappear very quickly and don`t exactly like one bit thing translator re-named almost all characters.

• Like 2

TigerCage1990
2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

When is the at yes madam boxset coming out?

Amazon listed it being released in  May 15 but 88 had mentioned on their social media pages that it will be released inbetween Feb/March of 2023.

• Like 5

Watched the japanese cut of Dragons Forever 4k. Had some issues with the subs on my panny 820, twice through the movie they flickered briefly then disappeared, had to skip back a chapter then search forward to get them back on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saltysam said:

Watched the japanese cut of Dragons Forever 4k. Had some issues with the subs on my panny 820, twice through the movie they flickered briefly then disappeared, had to skip back a chapter then search forward to get them back on.

I had issues with mine too. When Sammo tried to put his doorkey into the wrong door and started kicking the door, the left side panel of the wall started to vibrate and stopped on next scene. I skipped to previous chapter and it still flickered. 3rd time the charm, didn't flicker.

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, TigerCage1990 said:

Iceman Cmeth just got dispatched this  afternoon!

I got the VS release, very pleased. 

I'm more than sure the 88 will be as good. 

• Like 2

TigerCage1990
55 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

I got the VS release, very pleased. 

I'm more than sure the 88 will be as good. 

I'm looking foward to seeing the Extended Taiwanese Verison of the flim.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Getting Iceman for Christmas.

I tell you friends, this is the best time ever to be a fan and collector of Hong Kong Cinema.
We are so lucky to be experiencing all of this solid work by everyone involved in making these Blu-Ray releases.

May it continue far into the future.

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Dragons Forever 4k.

After many delays and postal strikes, the 4K Dragons Forever disc finally arrived!
The Japanese Cyclone Z cut was my choice and as yet is the only cut I've watched from this set.
It became immediately evident that this was a worthy upgrade to 4k. Excellent detail, deep crushless blacks, vibrant whites and a colour palette that pops beautifully.
The Dolby Atmos did a very nice job but I have to say I preferred the Cantonese mono as it seemed to have better levels to my ears.
One slight nit pik. It's really nothing but I felt some of the reds during the finale were more on the pink side. The blood on Jackie's shirt, the liquid tubes, cylindrical tank and to an extent some skin tones. I don't remember it being like this on the blu but will have to check to be sure.
Like I said it wasn't a major problem, just seemed a different colour to my memory.
The film itself was a pleasure to re-visit. The triple Dragon swansong has a lot to offer for HK cinema fans. Great character chemistry, amazing fights, daring stunts and memorable villains.
The Jackie vs Benny rematch is an all time classic and it's amazing how the fight feels completely different to their previous encounter.
I haven't watched the extras yet but have listened to the commentary with Frank Djeng and F.J. DeSanto. Another great one by these two that'll keep you interested and entertained so I hope there is more coming from them. 
This really is already a stellar release from 88 and I hope they continue with the 4k releases. 
Now for the other extras.20221219_170418.thumb.jpg.842e216da6777d5e85b5cd0c55d8ba9a.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

88 have indicated the subtitle issue on Dragons Forever is Panny 820 specific and only occurs in Dolby Vision. Bizzare

That's good news to hear! Was worried I might have the issue as well since this has shipped out for me (along with Human Lanterns stupidly pre-ordering both at the same time in the same order). Can't wait to see how it looks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, saltysam said:

88 have indicated the subtitle issue on Dragons Forever is Panny 820 specific and only occurs in Dolby Vision. Bizzare

I know also that Kino Lorbers 4k version of Hard Target also had Dolby vision issues especially using Panasonic 820 worked fine on my Sony 4k player though 

1 hour ago, Graysman said:

Had this for a couple of days now Iceman Cometh 😊

First of all Awesome!!! Secondly, I always wondered, is that the same frame that you reuse to photograph all of the posters in? Or do you literally have every poster framed around your place? :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigDruDogg said:

First of all Awesome!!! Secondly, I always wondered, is that the same frame that you reuse to photograph all of the posters in? Or do you literally have every poster framed around your place? :huh:

Hi  thankyou. I do have all my posters framed i'm still sorting a special room out to put up all the posters once it's complete i will send pictures of the completed room 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Graysman said:

Hi  thankyou. I do have all my posters framed i'm still sorting a special room out to put up all the posters once it's complete i will send pictures of the completed room 

Wow that’s really cool!! I would love to see that!

I wanted to do that at one point as well, but unfortunately I just don’t have the wall space plus here in the US those frames run almost $20 apiece.
So I went with the less sophisticated Wallpaper type of tactic. I bought a really nonabrasive double-sided tape and put them on the walls of my movie room.. I do use a special tape so I can take them off and put them back in the case w/o damaging the poster.  I’m running out of space even with this method, though. 😂 maybe I can convince my wife to allow some of the posters in other rooms 😑

3E7385C0-7E9B-441F-B69B-53616C7BBE81.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Buddha Bless You 4