The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

TigerCage1990
2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

88films wins best home video releases of 2022 if there is such a thing.  

They got Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and  Anthony Wong!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 1:53 AM, Yggdrasil said:

If you bought the Police Story boxset, Police Story 3 came with 1 & 2.

88s release of Police Story 3 is different from the Eureka one, intended for the Region A market. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Asmo said:

88s release of Police Story 3 is different from the Eureka one, intended for the Region A market. 

Oh really? Police story boxset here was all 4k. A good set too. In some ways it's a pity  titles are region locked in this day in age when so many of us have chipped blu ray players that can play multi region. It seems just pointless to just lock it to one area.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Asmo said:

What are the differences, except for the region ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I think its a different remaster. And thats about it now that 88Films will not deliever the new interviews as originally intended. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Frank Djeng mentioned he did a totally new commentary for PS3 for 88 Films rather than just use the one he did for Eureka so people who double dipped got something different.

• Like 7

TigerCage1990
4 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

I think its a different remaster. And thats about it now that 88Films will not deliever the new interviews as originally intended. 

So, it;s true they decided not to have the new interviews because of Bey Logan's involvement. 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
15 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

And thats about it now that 88Films will not deliever the new interviews as originally intended. 

The interviews that Logan produced for 88 are going to become the 2020's equivalent of Mike Leeder's 2000's Hwang Jang Lee interview for HKL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh really? Police story boxset here was all 4k. A good set too. In some ways it's a pity  titles are region locked in this day in age when so many of us have chipped blu ray players that can play multi region. It seems just pointless to just lock it to one area.

There will be a UHD release too, but still mainly intended for the US market.

19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It's a different restoration/remaster (as @JCLegend86 said).

6 x Replica Lobby Cards
    A3 Poster featuring original Hong Kong Artwork
    Limited Edition Rigid Slipcase
    Perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film

Plus the Frank Djeng commentary.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, andy338 said:

Frank Djeng mentioned he did a totally new commentary for PS3 for 88 Films rather than just use the one he did for Eureka so people who double dipped got something different.

Got to love the work and dedication of Frank.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 4:25 PM, Yggdrasil said:

While listening to Bey Logan's commentary on Bewitched, he mentioned the film Killer Constable. So I had a butchers on the net about it and I saw the Ebay price. 

Someone clearly is disillusioned. What muppet would pay £350 for a blu ray? Got to be a cheaper option.

Screenshot_20221125-202226_Chrome.jpg

Which is why I love the releases we've gotten from Arrow/88 Films this past year or two. There a lot of great martial arts films I haven't seen, but I'm not paying $100 (or more in the example above) for a dvd or blu-ray. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rando1975 said:

Which is why I love the releases we've gotten from Arrow/88 Films this past year or two. There a lot of great martial arts films I haven't seen, but I'm not paying $100 (or more in the example above) for a dvd or blu-ray. 

Yep. We've got some fantastic remastered classics, so upgrading by DVD collection. Looking forward to 2023 to see what else is on the agenda.

• Like 1

thelastweaponmaster
19 hours ago, Asmo said:

There will be a UHD release too, but still mainly intended for the US market.

It's a different restoration/remaster (as @JCLegend86 said).

6 x Replica Lobby Cards
    A3 Poster featuring original Hong Kong Artwork
    Limited Edition Rigid Slipcase
    Perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film

Plus the Frank Djeng commentary.

I was going to get the 88's release of Police Story 3 even though I already just bought the Eureka's version.  Now I am having second thoughts about doing that if 88 is not going to use the Bey Logan's produced extras as there doesn't seem to be too much in terms of new extras that would justify a purchase of a movie that I already have.  Pity.

13 hours ago, bickle14 said:

SALE TIME!!!!!!!
Get 33% off any purchases over £25 with the discount code 88NIGHTSIN or follow this link https://88-films.myshopify.com/
Happy shopping muahahahahahahahahahaha!

I just ordered my shopping cart from amazon  yesterday. I could cancel it but with the international shipping price of 88 I think it gets still more expensive than amazon. Man I'm not in the mood to recalculate my orders anymore. I wish I was so rich that I dont see shipping prices...

thundered mantis

I ordered Iceman Cometh and the new Snake&Crane Arts , thanks @bickle14

It´s a great discount, but it ends up very diminished for the european non UK fans due to postage. It would be great for us if they improve their game in that department

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, thundered mantis said:

I ordered Iceman Cometh and the new Snake&Crane Arts , thanks @bickle14

It´s a great discount, but it ends up very diminished for the european non UK fans due to postage. It would be great for us if they improve their game in that department

Its really hard to get my head around the fact that 88Films charges £12 in shipping for 1 (1!!) Bluray while Eureka doesnt charge shit for it when they are approx the same in base price for a movie. In reality it doesnt cost more than ~£5 to ship a dvd/blu within Europe untracked like 88 are shipping. I love the company to death for their efforts, but that just doesnt make any sense. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JCLegend86 said:

Its really hard to get my head around the fact that 88Films charges £12 in shipping for 1 (1!!) Bluray while Eureka doesnt charge shit for it when they are approx the same in base price for a movie. In reality it doesnt cost more than ~£5 to ship a dvd/blu within Europe untracked like 88 are shipping. I love the company to death for their efforts, but that just doesnt make any sense. 

I agree. But I think 88 ships them tracked?

I ordered snake&crane, Iceman cometh and DragonsForever Uhd with the 33%discount. Paid £16 for the shipping. Was still a little bit cheaper than amazon. Great deal, thx for that. But the shipping is a brake for me every time when I consider to order directly from 88. I have an individual discount of nearly 20£ because of my earlier orders, but I dont want to waste them for shipping. Sad...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Have you tried looking on Amazon.co.uk and compare the prices. Sometimes if you're lucky, Amazon's prices are lower with hardly any shipping cost if you have prime.

• Like 3

Thank you @venom10463 for letting me know about OrbitDVD. I cancelled my RareWaves order and got Righting Wrongs from OrbitDVD for $10 less (though I did end up paying an additional $10 for expedited shipping because I just couldn't wait)!

Anyway, I quickly skimmed through some of the special features, and I'm truly blown away by this release. Probably the most bizarre and incredible feature to me is the rare "Ladies Man" ending, which I had absolutely no prior knowledge of it existing. It is so incredibly dark and cynical, and has a very different feeling to the HK ending. I just wish there was a way to see the movie with the "Ladies Man" ending attached, just like they did for the multi-ending Ultimate Cut on the second disc.

With the way HK film companies would frequently discard deleted scenes/endings, it's amazing to see some of it survive and ACTUALLY be released to the public.

SPOILERS FOR THE HK ENDING AND "LADIES MAN" ENDING:

Spoiler

For the "Ladies Man" ending, it's the same as the HK ending (Cynthia and Yuen Biao both dead) but with an extra comedic beat before the credits roll. I kinda loved it.

Additionally, the ending Cantonese narration from the Japanese release is something I didn't know existed either, and it gives the original HK ending such a strange (and nonsensical IMO) twist.

Regardless of what you may feel about these different endings, the fact that these were included is a film preservationist's dream come true. To see a previously unreleased ending, and to hear the rare ending narration, made me unbelievably happy. Again, completely blown away by their inclusion on this disc. The 88 release is probably as definitive of a release as Righting Wrongs can possibly get. Plus, the artwork by Sean Longmore is STUNNING.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1