The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I am so envious of anyone who can watch Michelle Yeoh movies for the first time now that I've seen them all

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

TigerCage1990
On 11/16/2022 at 11:00 AM, AslanBey said:

I'm surprised that there are some fellow kungfu fans here who dont like Jet Li very much. He is definitely my number 2 after Jackie, although there are some movies I didnt see yet. I would buy the most stuff coming from him. So push it to the limit 88. 

I am too, alot of people i know love Jet Li.  Some even love Jet Li more or abit more than Jackie Chan.  I love both Jackie and Jet.   Jet Li made some great movies Fist of Legend is one of my favorites he's done.

5 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wish that he didn't do Born to Defend. That's where he injured his back. Imagine if he had done something else like playing Andy Lau's role in Magic Crystal.

I do too, It nearly ended both his flim career and also as a Martial Arts performer too. I;m glad he was able to bounce back after he was nearly paralyzed from the waist down.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 11/17/2022 at 2:00 AM, AslanBey said:

I'm surprised that there are some fellow kungfu fans here who dont like Jet Li very much. He is definitely my number 2 after Jackie, although there are some movies I didnt see yet. I would buy the most stuff coming from him. So push it to the limit 88. 

There used to be a guy on here called @popsjnr who really hated him...and kept challenging people to fights for some reason.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

@popsjnr sounds like it could be a nickname for Lau Kar-Leung's biggest fan: Mark Houghton.

Pops jnr is actually a cool dude but voices his thoughts a bit too loud but keeps it real, he is actually  a hung gar student of one of Lau Kar Leung's student. Also used to work in the now defunct Eastern Heroes Store in the London’s West End back in 90's. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Pops jnr is actually a cool dude but voices his thoughts a bit too loud but keeps it real, he is actually  a hung gar student of one of Lau Kar Leung's student. Also used to work in the now defunct Eastern Heroes Store in the London’s West End back in 90's. 

Aha, thought we could be talking about CM. Jet’s got skills, I actually think Born to Defend was a good showcase for him, some crazy stunts in that film. Maybe he was just a bit too reckless resulting in the injury. Could @popsjnr have heard LKL say something not so pleasant about him? Wushu vs southern cma’s…

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
On 11/18/2022 at 10:01 PM, Ramji said:

Aha, thought we could be talking about CM. Jet’s got skills, I actually think Born to Defend was a good showcase for him, some crazy stunts in that film. Maybe he was just a bit too reckless resulting in the injury. Could @popsjnr have heard LKL say something not so pleasant about him? Wushu vs southern cma’s…

Word!something like that mate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:57 AM, Cognoscente said:

I wonder if @dionbrother interviewed him. He dislikes him.

Never have, unfortunately.  Actually, I enjoy the early Jet Li movies very much.  Up until at least DRAGON FIGHT.  FIST OF LEGEND is fun.  Just find the bulk of his later work to be massively overrated.  Not really his fault as he isn't "hands on" with the action like Jackie Chan or Donnie Yen.  The blame lies more with the directors of the time.  Interesting how fans today seem to completely ignore most of the 90s stuff nowadays. So many forgettable movies.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
12 minutes ago, dionbrother said:

Never have, unfortunately.  Actually, I enjoy the early Jet Li movies very much.  Up until at least DRAGON FIGHT.  FIST OF LEGEND is fun.  Just find the bulk of his later work to be massively overrated.  Not really his fault as he isn't "hands on" with the action like Jackie Chan or Donnie Yen.  The blame lies more with the directors of the time.  Interesting how fans today seem to completely ignore most of the 90s stuff nowadays. So many forgettable movies.

I haven't see a lot of them as they still haven't go decent DVD or blu-ray releases.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 11/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, De Ming Li said:

Why does he hate Jet Li?

Because he didn’t speak to him when Jet Li visited the UK in 1996 according to the man himself -

• Like 1

• Administrator

I was recently stuck in a situation where I only had a regular old Region A-only portable Blu-ray player (last time this happened was years ago when my All-Region player died) to watch movies. My awesome wife had grabbed a bag of "good stuff" for me from my huge to-watch pile to keep me entertained. Among the things I most wanted to watch were a bunch of 88 Films releases- including BLACK CAT, THE YOUNG MASTER, EROTIC GHOST STORY, ROBOTRIX, ARMOUR OF GOD, RIKKI-OH, and FORBIDDEN CITY COP. I looked through them all, trying to decide what to watch first. And should I check out one of these greats to see them for the first time with HD picture and excellent subs, or go for one of the many exciting extra features? I settled on the Celebrity Talk Show episode on EGS which I read so many people praising. Then I realized... they were all Region B and I couldn't watch any of them! Torturous (in a nerd-stuck-without-his-stuff kinda way)! :sad::cry: I was not a fan of my (in-the-big-scheme-of-things) brief (but seemingly endless) return to being at the mercy of region coding. Now I'm not saying that when I returned home I cuddled and kissed my All-Region player (I'm not saying that :itwasntme:lipssealed), but I sure was glad to see it. :wink: Sometimes we take things for granted until we don't have them. Don't be that person. Gently dust your All-Region player... today. :bigsmile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Buddha Bless You 3

thelastweaponmaster

Taking into consideration that 88 Film's Police Story 3: Supercop is to be released soon, has 88 Films issued a final listing of the extras for this release yet? 

Edited by thelastweaponmaster
incorrect text

TigerCage1990
5 hours ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

Taking into consideration that 88 Film's Police Story 3: Supercop is to be released soon, has 88 Films issued a final listing of the extras for this release yet? 

Not yet, but soon from what i was told about the Police Story 3: Supercop   4K/Bluray release. It will have new interviews,  new commentaries by Frank Djeng but no word if Bey Logan's new commentary will be featured or not? It will have new features that aren't in the Eureka release.

Edited by TigerCage1990
Wanted to list more

4 hours ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

If you bought the Police Story boxset, Police Story 3 came with 1 & 2.

Ordered Righting Wrongs through RareWaves last night. Seemed to be the cheapest option I could find for shipping to the US. Cost $5 for international shipping, and was around $38 total. Not sure how reputable the site is, but hoping to get it soon.

32 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

Ordered Righting Wrongs through RareWaves last night. Seemed to be the cheapest option I could find for shipping to the US. Cost $5 for international shipping, and was around $38 total. Not sure how reputable the site is, but hoping to get it soon.

Try Orbit DVD and Diabolik DVD for region a & b titles. I paid $30 with shipping for Righting Wrongs from Orbit.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

While listening to Bey Logan's commentary on Bewitched, he mentioned the film Killer Constable. So I had a butchers on the net about it and I saw the Ebay price. 

Someone clearly is disillusioned. What muppet would pay £350 for a blu ray? Got to be a cheaper option.

Screenshot_20221125-202226_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

88films wins best home video releases of 2022 if there is such a thing.  

I don't know, Arrow's Shawscope volume 2 is definitely in the running.

Even if they missed obvious commentary choices,. 4 Venom movies + Mercenaries from Hong Kong + 5 Superfighters.

Just them alone is going to be hard to beat.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2