The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

15 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Wasn't this already released by 88 films for £13. This new edition has a fancy new cover which looks definitely better than the 2018 cover. But why the new release for £25?

I think it's because since that release and 3 other early titles their standard of quality has risen big time. Re releasing these early ones should bring them up to a higher standard in terms of picture quality, audio, subtitles and extras.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

I think it's because since that release and 3 other early titles their standard of quality has risen big time. Re releasing these early ones should bring them up to a higher standard in terms of picture quality, audio, subtitles and extras.

And this one is also a deluxe edition I think. Poster, lobby cards, more extras, booklet ????... etc. 

For people like me who discovered 88 and eureka etc. relatively late, I find it a nice move to rerelease those older releases with different limited items. I would love to buy a newer release of operation condor for example since the bare release without slipcase doesnt look nice (deluxe would be cool:) ). Same thing for miracles or dragon fist etc.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, HeavenSword said:

Yeah I noticed on Amazon last night Dragons Forever got pushed back again.  Looks like our next treat to look forward to will be Iceman Cometh . 

Damn , I totally forgot about Righting Wrongs coming on October 24 !!

• Like 1

kingofkungfu2002
3 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Damn , I totally forgot about Righting Wrongs coming on October 24 !!

I got an email from HMV today saying that Iceman Cometh has been put back until Dec. 12th.

2 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I got an email from HMV today saying that Iceman Cometh has been put back until Dec. 12th.

Damn , so for December that’s 

Iceman Cometh

Supercop

Shawscope Volume 2

Yes Madam 

Gorgeous

Magnificent Warriors

Sweet Christmas .  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeavenSword said:

Iceman Cometh

Supercop

Shawscope Volume 2

Yes Madam 

Gorgeous

Magnificent Warriors

Sweet Christmas .  

thats if some of those don't now get pushed back I wonder if Yes Madam and Police Story 3 gets pushed back and Royal Warriors as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Iceman Cometh

Supercop

Shawscope Volume 2

Yes Madam 

Gorgeous

Magnificent Warriors

Sweet Christmas .  

Unfortunately I feel like December 12th is like some type of placeholder date for 88... I'm almost positive the 88 film releases will be spaced and sorted out soon... It's highly doubtful they'd release so many titles on the same day/month...

If they do come out, I'll be off to the Plasma shop to donate some blood lol

Edited by BigDruDogg
  • Haha 3

Bey Logan sucks. Don't want to support him if any releases make it to the IlUS side of the label. That said, are we gonna get Dragons Forever this year? They keep pushing it back and it makes me think it will turn into a 2023 release.

1 hour ago, lilmanjs said:

Bey Logan sucks. Don't want to support him if any releases make it to the IlUS side of the label. That said, are we gonna get Dragons Forever this year? They keep pushing it back and it makes me think it will turn into a 2023 release.

Dates on US retailers say mid November now.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

To add to that list, there's Jude Poyer.

Has Jude ever done a commentary? He seems to be really knowledgeable when it comes to Hong Kong action cinema.

Just now, Drunken Monk said:

Has Jude ever done a commentary? He seems to be really knowledgeable when it comes to Hong Kong action cinema.

He did one (with Miles Wood) for the Hong Kong Legends DVD of ‘Police Story II’, for example.

• Like 1

kingofkungfu2002
48 minutes ago, chen lung said:

He did one (with Miles Wood) for the Hong Kong Legends DVD of ‘Police Story II’, for example.

And Story Of Ricky. 

• Like 1

I gotta interrupt to let this be known . On The Run…..a perfect 10. Watched it three times now and everything about this is just greatness. Nice direction from Alfred Cheung, A coherent plot , great performances from Yuen Biao and Pat Ha, great supporting cast , fantastic cinematography and a  brutal fight at the end to close it out .  I didn’t get annoyed at all either , so that’s a super plus lol . The commentary from Frank and FJ was nice also. 

Amazing Job on this one 88 ! 

04FD1FCA-CDBA-4CBD-8A15-96B3A2AACD29.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Fuck Bey Logan, 88 would be wise to never work with him again, especially in light of his still-ongoing sleazeballery. He’s been supplanted by much better humans with much smaller egos and at least as much knowledge if not more. Frank Djeng, Brandon Bentley, Samm Deighan, Kenneth Brorsson, FJ DeSanto, Mike Leeder, Arne Venema, all great.

And, agreed, ON THE RUN is an absolute classic and 88’s release is stellar, looks beautiful, a zillion times better than my ratty old Megastar DVD!

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Samm Deighan

I don't wanna sound harsh and this is based on one commentary only, but Samm's commentary on Come Drink with Me 88 release is the least interesting, knowledgeable and informative commentary I've ever listened to. I almost gave up on it half a dozen times... sorry Samm.

17 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

I don't wanna sound harsh and this is based on one commentary only, but Samm's commentary on Come Drink with Me 88 release is the least interesting, knowledgeable and informative commentary I've ever listened to. I almost gave up on it half a dozen times... sorry Samm.

What about Stefan Hammond's commentary for The Postman Fights Back?

25 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

What about Stefan Hammond's commentary for The Postman Fights Back?

Haven't listened to it yet. That bad? 

Reviews...

"This is a model for audio commentaries. It's a model of how not to do one. Hammond does have credentials as a "Hong Kong Cinema Expert", having written a couple of books, but he shows little of his expertise here. For most of the commentary he tells us what is happening on the screen and explains the plot. You'd be better off not wasting an hour and a half of your life by listening to this, as I did."

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=6493

"Stefan Hammond provides the commentary. It’s a shame, because Logan is always well-prepared and analytical, while Hammond often just describes what’s happening onscreen and leaves many silent gaps. Logan may be a little self-important, but I think it’s worth it for his stories of pestering Dick Wei at the gym for interviews or seeing Michelle Yeoh more interested in talking to a security guard than schmoozing people at a party. His opinions on Jackie Chan are particularly thought-provoking and he can back up analysis with historical research when needed. I would have rewatched this whole film with his commentary, but couldn’t make it with Hammond."

https://quetzalattack.wordpress.com/2018/03/21/warning-may-contain-ninjas-the-postman-fights-back-ronny-yu-1982/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

I gotta interrupt to let this be known . On The Run…..a perfect 10. Watched it three times now and everything about this is just greatness. Nice direction from Alfred Cheung, A coherent plot , great performances from Yuen Biao and Pat Ha, great supporting cast , fantastic cinematography and a  brutal fight at the end to close it out .  I didn’t get annoyed at all either , so that’s a super plus lol . The commentary from Frank and FJ was nice also. 

Amazing Job on this one 88 ! 

04FD1FCA-CDBA-4CBD-8A15-96B3A2AACD29.jpeg

Amen! If only Bill Yuen had continued doing more similar movies like this while he was still in his prime...

• Like 2

As per both of their Facebook posts Mike and Arne will not be working for 88 Films while Bey Logan is involved.

This sucks big time. I've enjoyed Mike's work for years and Arne has also now made himself a staple of HK cinema with us fans. I'm sure they'll both still be around but the fact that they're both (understandably) stepping aside from 88 for now is a shame.

• Like 3

Another person who would make for a good commentator would be Pascal Fintoni. I remember him from a British magazine called Hong Kong Superstars.

• Like 1

TigerCage1990
15 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

As per both of their Facebook posts Mike and Arne will not be working for 88 Films while Bey Logan is involved.

This sucks big time. I've enjoyed Mike's work for years and Arne has also now made himself a staple of HK cinema with us fans. I'm sure they'll both still be around but the fact that they're both (understandably) stepping aside from 88 for now is a shame.

Ill Mike and Arne's commentaries but i understand why they'ev chosen to not work with 88 Flims at this time because Bey.