The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 minute ago, Irongod2112 said:

Regarding Dragons Forever we did new Cantonese Mono tracks for both the HK & Japanese Cuts using original audio stems and they sound fantastic!! :)

Why are we getting Bey Logan's commentary for Iceman Cometh, but not this one? 

2 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Why are we getting Bey Logan's commentary for Iceman Cometh, but not this one? 

We are still putting together Iceman Cometh and Dragons Forever was already in the finishing stages before the idea of bringing back Bey Logan's commentaries so it was too late to add it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Damn , Dragons Forever is STACKED with extras 😎 will be a first time viewing for me ….yes I know I’m super late.

I strongly recommend that you watch the longer Japanese "Cyclone Z" version as your first go-around.  It includes some important (and funny) scenes with Yuen Biao that aren't in the original Hong Kong version. 

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

We are still putting together Iceman Cometh and Dragons Forever was already in the finishing stages before the idea of bringing back Bey Logan's commentaries so it was too late to add it.

Awww, so close.. Sounds very promising for future releases! :D

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, starschwar said:

I strongly recommend that you watch the longer Japanese "Cyclone Z" version as your first go-around.  It includes some important (and funny) scenes with Yuen Biao that aren't in the original Hong Kong version. 

I was ecstatic when Frank told me we were doing the commentary for that particular version of the movie. As a kid I had a Japanese bootleg of the movie and had no idea what they were saying in those extra Yuen scenes, but he and Stanley Fung had such hilarious chemistry it almost didn't matter what they were saying. I can understand why they cut those scenes in the HK version as they don't add much to the story but for me the CYCLONE Z version is the best version of the movie and man does it look fantastic. You'll see!

• Like 11

Killer Meteor
On 9/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Would he be considered for new commentaries?

11 hours ago, FJ DeSanto said:

I was ecstatic when Frank told me we were doing the commentary for that particular version of the movie. As a kid I had a Japanese bootleg of the movie and had no idea what they were saying in those extra Yuen scenes, but he and Stanley Fung had such hilarious chemistry it almost didn't matter what they were saying. I can understand why they cut those scenes in the HK version as they don't add much to the story but for me the CYCLONE Z version is the best version of the movie and man does it look fantastic. You'll see!

I cannot wait for this release. If your commentary for this is as good as the Police Story trilogy then winner! Keep 'em coming.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FJ DeSanto said:

I think the scenes with Stanley Fung as the psychiatrist are fairly important for context with Yuen Biao's character. Especially the 2nd scene when he thinks he's talking to his psychiatrist but is instead talking to a robber over an intercom, and they tell him to kill. In the HK version his attack seems more random without the context. I'm not too sure what the robbers are planning to steal from the psychiatrists though.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Would he be considered for new commentaries?

I messaged him on facebook and he said he'd done a new commentary for Police Story 3 and shot a couple of interviews for 88 Films, so it looks like we'll be seeing more.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, FJ DeSanto said:

I must disagree on the position that the therapy scenes don’t add much to the film — on the contrary, cutting them damages the film, as without them Yuen Biao’s character is doing things at one point that make no sense whatsoever. Absolutely senseless to cut them. Now that we have the full Cyclone Z cut, the HK cut is useless IMO.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I think the scenes with Stanley Fung as the psychiatrist are fairly important for context with Yuen Biao's character. Especially the 2nd scene when he thinks he's talking to his psychiatrist but is instead talking to a robber over an intercom, and they tell him to kill. In the HK version his attack seems more random without the context. I'm not too sure what the robbers are planning to steal from the psychiatrists though.

Agreed, I have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they decided to cut those scenes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Agreed, I have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they decided to cut those scenes.

Me neither. The reason I say I understand they cut that as Yuen is just so batshit crazy to begin with, so you don't question he would go mental. I also believe they were cut for length. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE and prefer this version and consider it the definitive cut of the movie. Hence my excitement for the world to see. These guys are doing such tremendous work bringing us fans these beautiful sets. Never in my wildest tape trading years as a kid would I imagine having these come out.

14 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I cannot wait for this release. If your commentary for this is as good as the Police Story trilogy then winner! Keep 'em coming.

THANK YOU. The Police Story trilogy was literally all done in one day and I think Frank and I found a groove that gets even better with the ones we have done since (DRAGONS, ON THE RUN, ICEMAN COMETH and a few others I am not allowed to mention yet). 

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 2

11 hours ago, FJ DeSanto said:

THANK YOU. The Police Story trilogy was literally all done in one day and I think Frank and I found a groove that gets even better with the ones we have done since (DRAGONS, ON THE RUN, ICEMAN COMETH and a few others I am not allowed to mention yet). 

I hope (pleasepleasepleaseee) there are some Jet Li movies among those...

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FJ DeSanto said:

Me neither. The reason I say I understand they cut that as Yuen is just so batshit crazy to begin with, so you don't question he would go mental. I also believe they were cut for length. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE and prefer this version and consider it the definitive cut of the movie. Hence my excitement for the world to see. These guys are doing such tremendous work bringing us fans these beautiful sets. Never in my wildest tape trading years as a kid would I imagine having these come out.

I assume a few of these are not yet confirmed but will be in the future In the line of duty 3 and 4 and hopefully Angel/Iron angels in the future

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers
On 9/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, HeavenSword said:

Damn , Dragons Forever is STACKED with extras 😎 will be a first time viewing for me ….yes I know I’m super late.

Wow, what I wouldn't give to be able to watch this again for the fist time! You're in for a treat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Wow, what I wouldn't give to be able to watch this again for the fist time! You're in for a treat.

You and I both but its been delayed till November 22nd

Yeah I noticed on Amazon last night Dragons Forever got pushed back again.  Looks like our next treat to look forward to will be Iceman Cometh . 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Regarding Dragons Forever we did new Cantonese Mono tracks for both the HK & Japanese Cuts using original audio stems and they sound fantastic!! :)

I have a feeling your 2112 is for the excellent Rush album. If so, nice choice!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AlexanderFu said:

I have a feeling your 2112 is for the excellent Rush album. If so, nice choice!

Yes you are correct on that! :)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Yes you are correct on that! :)

I knew it! I use it myself from time to time. Hello fellow Rush fan!  :cool:

Rock on! 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 2:07 AM, panzer said:

It is, they were only able to have it in print for one year.

I saw it was out of stock on 88's website too but I found it for sale on HMV's website. Probably other websites have it. As for outside of Britain, I can't help you I'm afraid. You'll have to email HMV if you live outside of Blighty.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, Drunksnake said:

Is it greedy of me to hbe hoping this is a steelbook?

Wasn't this already released by 88 films for £13. This new edition has a fancy new cover which looks definitely better than the 2018 cover. But why the new release for £25?

• Like 1

With dragons forever pushed back to November 22 does everything else behind it get pushed back including yes madam and royal warriors