The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I watched Drive 4k this morning, looks good however if you have the USA MVD Blu that's from the same 4k scan you won't see a massive difference,an uptick yes.Of course if you have the old HKL DVD its a huge upgrade.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, saltysam said:

I watched Drive 4k this morning, looks good however if you have the USA MVD Blu that's from the same 4k scan you won't see a massive difference,an uptick yes.Of course if you have the old HKL DVD its a huge upgrade.

Thank you for this feedback. I will probably go with 88's blu

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saltysam said:

Good to hear. I used to have the US bluray so I'll go for the UK 4K release.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Good to hear. I used to have the US bluray so I'll go for the UK 4K release.

If you are in the US, 88 is also releasing the Drive UHD in the US.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was mentioned but I just got a notification that Dragon's Forever 4K US release was pushed back to Oct. 18th now from Sept 13

• Like 4

391-D5-F7-B-D4-DF-4-EB1-9-BC1-A0-D47-F8-

From OldPangYau:

Yes, that runtime is not a typo, via @88_Films's Facebook :

"The FULLY UNCUT (127 mins) Extended Taiwanese Version (Mandarin Export Cut) with Mandarin mono, Hybrid Cantonese / Mandarin track and English / Mandarin hybrid track" (HK version included as well, of course, lol)

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

391-D5-F7-B-D4-DF-4-EB1-9-BC1-A0-D47-F8-

From OldPangYau:

Those rigid cases are stellar!!!!!! They continue to knock it outta the park!!!!! Wow!!!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

306592786_491916679607395_83308850869490

Looks like 88 Films has gone with replicas of the Hong Kong lobby cards and Eureka with replicas of the international lobby cards.

• Like 3

I just purchased Clan of the White Lotus, not the limited edition so obviously no slipcase but is it correct that the non-limited edition don't even ship with a booklet? This one was completely bare boned. The other titles I have are the LE's so can't compare.

35 minutes ago, lebear said:

I just purchased Clan of the White Lotus, not the limited edition so obviously no slipcase but is it correct that the non-limited edition don't even ship with a booklet? This one was completely bare boned. The other titles I have are the LE's so can't compare.

Non-limited = no slip, no booklet.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bickle14 said:

They are teasing a Battle Creek Brawl re-release at the bottom of the site.

I saw that. I think it's safe to say the first four JC movies 88 put out will be re released. 

Screenshot_20220914-080025_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0623c93eeb50fd51611e882b46fdfc83.jpg

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 5

I'm really happy about every release in HD/4k and eagerly follow all the advance notices of the various labels. This brings back memories of when Hong Kong Legends entered the market (yes, I'm really that old).

However, I would sometimes wish that films not yet available in HD would find their way to the light of day. Of course, I understand that you can't spend huge sums on rights (Warner Bros, you greedy *!?...). After all, you have to earn something. But there are still so many excellent martial arts movies, especially from the 80's, that desperately need HD releases.

In case 88 Films, Eureka or others along those lines read along, here are two treasures that are at the top of my must-have list:
A Book Of Heroes (1986)

The Funny Family (1986)

It would be great if one of the labels took pity on them and put out an edition with goodies for the fans.

I'm sure there are tons of other great flicks that need the HD treatment which I am not aware of.

Edited by lastninja
Links embedded
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

The 4K releases for Supercop and Dragons Forever are going to contain both Bluray and 4K:

LwoVOS2.jpeg

Whats the point at 88 releasing dragons forever once in a while?? :D

So i would say its time to sell the steelbook edition since i didnt become friends with the artwork and poster etc. 

Are the contents of the 4k and the steelbook the same ? Do i lose sth if i sell the steelbook?