The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

• Administrator

MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS (love the colors on Sean Longmore's art) and ICEMAN COMETH are Blus I'm very happy to be getting 88 Film's releases. Gimme gimme gimme.

Looks like yet another upcoming 88 Film's Blu-ray release was leaked early by Amazon UK and is now getting posted about on Instagram, Facebook, etc... EBOLA SYNDROME! So, since the (nasty) cat (III) is already out of the bag, here's a look at the cover art I did for it. And before anyone asks, and very much to my surprise, YES, it will be completely uncut.

eEBOLA40-B1-EC15-C67-F-43-C5-BECA-D2953-F387-C94.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS (love the colors on Sean Longmore's art) and ICEMAN COMETH are Blus I'm very happy to be getting 88 Film's releases. Gimme gimme gimme.

Looks like yet another upcoming 88 Film's Blu-ray release was leaked early by Amazon UK and is now getting posted about on Instagram, Facebook, etc... EBOLA SYNDROME! So, since the (nasty) cat (III) is already out of the bag, here's a look at the cover art I did for it. And before anyone asks, and very much to my surprise, YES, it will be completely uncut.

eEBOLA40-B1-EC15-C67-F-43-C5-BECA-D2953-F387-C94.jpg

I really wish Vinegar Syndrome had contacted you to do the cover for their release, not that their cover is bad, but I just prefer this one a lot more. Though I will say that I will most likely will have to pass on this release since I have the VS 4K release. Is anyone else surprised that 88 didn't do a 4K release even though one exists in the U.S?

• Like 3

Man , The Tiger Cage boxset is great 👍🏽 
clean , sharp quality and the booklet is very informative.  Michael Woods interview was very interesting. I think this and Millionaires Express from Eureka are the best looking films so far . 

Also , we need to put the ending of Tiger Cage 1 in the list of classic freeze frame endings.  Jacky Cheung was pissed 😂

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 8

sifu iron perm
1 minute ago, BigDruDogg said:

Yo @KUNG FU BOB I love your Anthony Wong's evolution into madness!! Your boxart only makes me want to double dip.. :sweating

Unearthed released a nice copy.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

stop it :2:     I have my Vinager Syndrome 4K, and that's all I "need"

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
14 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

my bad i meant VS not unearthed. VS released a mint a copy!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
19 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

I really wish Vinegar Syndrome had contacted you to do the cover for their release, not that their cover is bad, but I just prefer this one a lot more. Though I will say that I will most likely will have to pass on this release since I have the VS 4K release. Is anyone else surprised that 88 didn't do a 4K release even though one exists in the U.S?

Thanks, I'm glad you dig it.

I'm not sure why they didn't opt for a 4K release, but I'm stoked to see what 88 have lined up as far as extras for theirs. :nerd:

14 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Yo @KUNG FU BOB I love your Anthony Wong's evolution into madness!! Your boxart only makes me want to double dip.. :sweating

:wink: Not to be a bad influence, but... do it. Come on... double-dip! Do it! :tongue: How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your nasty, molested, germ-riddled meat? (to somewhat paraphrase Pink Floyd) Hahahaha

14 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

@sifu iron perm you're actually thinking of THE UNTOLD STORY, which Unearthed definitely did a great job on.

14 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Is it though? Is it? :happy

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

If 88 decides to graciously add a poster with your cover art, I'll re-buy it!

On a side note, it's still mind boggling that like every other day a new great release is being announced by all of these companies!!  This hobby went from casual to getting a 2nd job to afford...:xd: (I'm not complaining, just in awe)

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Also Forgive me for asking this, I know it's been explained before, I just can't find a the definitive answer.

What's the official differences between the 88 Films Righting Wrongs and VS version?

I held off on VS's exclusive rights version, and see that it'll be released on Amazon 08/30 and than 88's on 09/26. Obviously I know 88 is UK and VS is US.

You can point me to the page of the forum if it's been explained and I just missed it

Thanks, and please don't start a Royal Rumble!! lol :yociexp60:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

Also Forgive me for asking this, I know it's been explained before, I just can't find a the definitive answer.

What's the official differences between the 88 Films Righting Wrongs and VS version?

I held off on VS's exclusive rights version, and see that it'll be released on Amazon 08/30 and than 88's on 09/26. Obviously I know 88 is UK and VS is US.

You can point me to the page of the forum if it's been explained and I just missed it

Thanks, and please don't start a Royal Rumble!! lol :yociexp60:

Extras Exclusive to Vinegar Syndrome's Release:

(2) Audio Commentary by actress Cynthia Rothrock, moderated by Vinegar Syndrome's Brad Henderson 
"Fighting Wrongs" 2022 interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock (24:58)
"Unscripted Justice" 2022 interview with actress Karen Sheperd (35:31)
"Kung Fu was the Equalizer" 2022 interview with actor Melvin Wong (20:24)
"Fighting for Success" 2022 interview with actor Peter Cunningham (20:50)
"Violence & Corruption" 2022 video essay by film historians Samm Deighan and Charles Perks (11:07, in English with no subtitles)

The Best of the Martial Arts Films (will be included in a future UK release as well)

Comes with a reversible cover in a hard slipcase/slipcover combo designed by Tony Stella & Earl Kessler Jr. and includes a 40-page perfectbound book featuring essays by film programmer Pearl Chan, author and martial arts historian Grady Hendrix, and filmmaker/fan Simon Barrett.

Extras Exclusive to 88 Films Release

Slipcase with brand-new artwork from Sean Longmore
Double-sided foldout Poster
6 Replica Lobby Cards
80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Matthew Edwards + selected archive materials
Reversible sleeve with Hong Kong poster artwork

[New] Frank Djeng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Mike Leeder and Arne Venema Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Interview
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Scene-specific Commentary
[New] Peter Cunningham Interview
[New] Peter Cunningham Scene-specific Commentary
Rare alternate “Ladies Man” ending

ULTIMATE CUT featuring 4 possible endings [105 mins - 106 mins approx] and ending randomizer

This also features 2 additional Cantonese Tracks:

Cantonese-language Japan Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH [features rare ending Cantonese narration]
Cantonese Home Video Remix with normal subtitles and SDH

and a different translation from VinSyn. They will also feature different color timings.

Both releases feature the same archive Cynthia Rothrock commentary and archive interviews from Yuen Biao, Rothrock, and Peter Cunningham. It should also be noted the Mandarin cut isn't entirely correct on VinSyn's release (https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=676669), but these are just minor editing errors that I believe will be corrected on 88's release.

Either way, you're getting a stellar release so don't feel like you've missed out only getting one.

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 minutes ago, panzer said:

thanks doesn't sound good I hope just like Hard Boiled and The Killer rights can be secured to put out a great release of Who Am I

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 9:37 AM, Graysman said:

88 films Framed looks awesome Love the original poster artwork on flying guillotine part II sorry @KUNG FU BOB I still rate yours very highly but decided to go with this 

2ED1192D-5D93-427E-A75C-9DAB1FA40103.jpeg

I really like these frames. What size did you go with if you don't mine me asking. I want tp pick a few up if possible. Thanks!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexanderFu said:

I really like these frames. What size did you go with if you don't mine me asking. I want tp pick a few up if possible. Thanks!

These are A3 size 

• Like 2

Chemical Lemon

Just wondering, is there a good way to get the fold creases out of the posters?  I’ve mostly left them in their cases figuring the creases will be very obvious. But the pictures being shared look pretty great so I might try hanging a few

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Just wondering, is there a good way to get the fold creases out of the posters?  I’ve mostly left them in their cases figuring the creases will be very obvious. But the pictures being shared look pretty great so I might try hanging a few

Unfortunately not, Before I frame them, I like to open up the poster and put like a heavy book on top of it to help form it, and they also get better after being pressed into the frame for a while, but never crease free.

• Like 2

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Paper, being made up of tiny, interwoven fibers, tends to have "memory" very similar to clothing. Have you ever had a sweatshirt, rolled up the sleeves, and then after unrolling them the cuffs are looser around your wrists afterward? Folding a poster does the same- twisting and deforming the fiber of the papers.

I've had a lot of success with three different methods to remove/lessen fold lines in posters.

PRESSING METHOD: Very similar to what @BigDruDogg described. But the ideal method is to have two flat items bigger than the poster to put it between, then pile books on top. I use my biggest drawing pad, place the poster in the middle between two pages, then pile books on top. Something more likely found in a typical home is the leaf of a table (the piece used to extend a table's length) that you can place upside-down on top of the poster which is lying flat on a table. Again, add heavy books.

ROLLING METHOD: First, unfold the poster. Then roll it up with the printed side inside the roll. Once it's rolled up, carefully put your fingers (probably two or three will fit) inside one end and turn them gently to tighten the roll. Then switch to the other end and repeat. As it gets tighter you'll eventually only be able to fit one finger in to tighter the roll. Try to make both sides even. Then wrap a plain piece of paper around the center of the poster, rolling the poster up inside it, and fasten it with a piece of tape. You don't want to put tape on your poster for obvious reasons, hence the paper around it so you can tape that. Do NOT use rubber-bands as they can leave marks and damage the poster. Leave it this way for a few days at least. Once you open it, roll it in the opposite direction and repeat the process, but you only need to keep it rolled for about an hour. Now when you open it the folds should be substantially reduced and it should lay flat. 

IRONING: I've had good luck with this, but proceed with caution, as I've had friends accidentally singe or wet their posters (which causes more wrinkles!). Instead of me writing out these following directions I've copied and pasted them from a site (credit given):

How to Flatten a Rolled Poster and Remove Wrinkles

There are a few ways you can fix wrinkled posters. Here’s what we suggest. 

Roll the poster out onto a flat surface, such as a table. Make sure you straighten it face down with the blank side facing upwards

Place a bed sheet or towel over the poster

Lightly spray the sheet or towel with water until it is slightly damp, not wet

Using the lowest heat setting on your iron, iron the poster through the sheet* 

Run the iron over one small area of the fabric at a time until it is dry

Lift the fabric every so often to check for any heat damage on the poster

Repeat the process if wrinkles remain

*Please note: this may cause a slight change to the colours of the ink. instantprint does not accept responsibility or liability for any damage that might be caused. 

These methods are perfect for removing any curling that may happen so that your posters are ready for framing or hanging in no time at all. We’ll always roll from the long side of the poster, meaning it’s easier to straighten when it arrives. 

These methods are perfect for removing any curling that may happen so that your posters are ready to frame or hang in no time at all. We’ll always roll from the long side of the poster meaning it’s easier to flatten when it arrives. Here’s some extra inspiration so you can place your posters effectively.

Sourced from: https://www.instantprint.co.uk/printspiration/be-inspired/how-to-flatten-a-poster

• Like 8

If you have a poster you like but just can't get if creases I would also recommend plaque mounting.  It's far less noticeable and looks pretty sharp with beveled edges. I've done some and actually prefer it to frames. 

The one downside is its permanent so I wouldn't do a rare poster.

• Like 3