The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I wonder if 88 also have the rights to some of the non-Jackie Lo Wei Pictures films, specifically two little nuggets called The Challenger and The Loot

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

That cover depicts a surprising amount of detail of Shu Qi's left nipple.

You, men ! 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, thehangman said:

Still wishing for

The Victim
Legend of a fighter
The Tournament
Broken Oath

Pantyhose hero (never gonna happen though)

I have no idea if anyone owns The Victim. As a Seasonal title, LOAF needs a HD re-master.

• Like 5

299422592_6079687635381128_6048447267591

ON THE RUN
亡命鴛鴦 (1988)
Directed by Alfred Cheung and starring the legendary Yuen Biao (THE PRODIGAL SON, RIGHTING WRONGS), noir crime drama ON THE RUN remains a classic staple of the thriller genre from Hong Kong.
In the aftermath of his wife’s brutal murder, struggling cop Heung Ming (Yuen Biao) is forced to go into hiding after discovering corruption in the ranks. His only ally is a deadly assassin Chui (Pat Ha) as they each try to avoid arrest, and even death.
LIMITED EDITION
Rigid slipcase with brand-new artwork by R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
Double-Sided Foldout Poster featuring new artwork and original HK poster
6 Collectable Art Cards
80-page perfect-bound book featuring a brand-new interview with director Alfred Cheung and actor Pat Ha by Matthew Edwards
FEATURES INCLUDE
• Stunning New 2K Transfer from Original Film Elements
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Cantonese Mono
• Newly remastered English subtitles
• Audio Commentary with Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast On Fire Network
• Audio Commentary with Asian Cinema Experts Frank Djeng and FJ DeSanto
• [new] Running Away - An Interview with Alfred Cheung
• [new] Predicting the Future - An Interview with David West
• Alternate Ending
• Hong Kong Trailer
• Reversible sleeve with original Hong Kong poster artwork
  • Like 14

Darth Kermit

Ooh this one sounds great!

7 hours ago, thehangman said:

Still wishing for

The Victim
Legend of a fighter
The Tournament
Broken Oath

Pantyhose hero (never gonna happen though)

I'd kill for a good label to release The Victim. One of Sammo's best. I haven't seen Pantyhose Hero, but that and Pedicab Driver are the two Sammo films I haven't seen that I am most interested in, so I'd love those as well.

• Like 8

On 8/15/2022 at 8:27 PM, Killer Meteor said:

NEW FIST OF FURY - pre-credit sequence and scenes of Jackie and his uncle racing to the dock on Mandarin version seem very zoomed in, possibly to hide theatrical subtitles.

We noticed at the time and enquired. It has been attributed to a mixture of sources used (internegative and possibly the camera negative), rather than subtitles.

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 6

On 8/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Here's a WIP photo teaser (though it's been finished at this point) for an upcoming 88 Films release.

It's a kung fu "McGuffin", and a lot of dangerous people (some also disarmingly beautiful) are after it at any cost. Stay tuned for details... #secretkungfumanual #88films #yourstylecanneverbeatmine #whatcoulditbe?

20220810_121426.jpg

An upgraded SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN would be most welcome, as would an upgraded DRAGON FIST and BATTLE CREEK BRAWL! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

MaskedAvenger
14 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Righting Wrongs now has a release date for Oct. 24.

Police Story III will be released on Dec. 13.

Damn, I was looking forward to that Righting Wrongs release but better late than never. 

Edited by MaskedAvenger
  • Like 4

While I'm happy Gorgeous is getting a release, it's one of those films for me that was better when I first saw it in the 90s then it is now. (too much dolphin)

I'm still waiting on Rumble in the Bronx, Twin Dragons, and First Strike!! C'mon 88 steal those licensees lol

Edited by BigDruDogg
  • Like 9

On 8/17/2022 at 3:24 AM, Darth Kermit said:

Ooh this one sounds great!

I'd kill for a good label to release The Victim. One of Sammo's best. I haven't seen Pantyhose Hero, but that and Pedicab Driver are the two Sammo films I haven't seen that I am most interested in, so I'd love those as well.

Pantyhose Hero has some brutal choreography and stunts.

• Like 4

I'd be amazed to see Pantyhose Hero get any kind of release now, as elements of it are extremely un-PC.

Arguably, that should not stop it coming out, of course and, beyond some of the jokes, it's a pretty awesome fu flick.

Two more thoughts:

My Tiger Cage set arrived - wow...just incredible. 

Any news on any "Girls with Guns" releases?

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Master with OK Fingers
6 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

I'm still waiting on Rumble in the Bronx, Twin Dragons, and First Strike!! C'mon 88 steal those licensees lol

Yes, Yes and Yes. Please!

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

While I'm happy Gorgeous is getting a release, it's one of those films for me that was better when I first saw it in the 90s then it is now. (too much dolphin)

Isn’t Gorgeous also pretty light on action ? Haven’t seen that flick in yearssss, but I do remember the fight with Brad . 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Isn’t Gorgeous also pretty light on action ? Haven’t seen that flick in yearssss, but I do remember the fight with Brad . 

Yeah, Hong Kong released a blu-ray of it a couple years ago, and I watched it with false memories... your best bet is just to fast forward to the boat fight set pieces and BA Fight, because everything leading up to it is a snooze fest, that is if your looking for a action film...rose tinted glasses are a bi#*%

• Like 5

Darth Kermit
16 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

I'm still waiting on Rumble in the Bronx, Twin Dragons, and First Strike!!

Yes! Love Twin Dragons and I just watched Rumble in the Bronx yesterday and loved it and am watching First Strike tonight (both via Film Whisperer's HK theatrical reconstruction. I mention in my Letterboxd review of Rumble (linked here for anyone interested), but watching it with the different sources patched together really enlightened me as to how much they mess with these films for export cuts. I knew they cut scenes or parts of scenes for these cuts, but I didn't realize how many times they are just cutting some frames here, or a few seconds from a fight. Ridiculous! Anywho, rant aside, who has the licences to these currently? Warner? Perhaps they could do a good Warner Archive release of those, like Mr Nice Guy and Legend of Drunken Master. Also, who has the rights to Who Am I? Anybody know?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

First Strike is supposed to be coming from Warner Archive this year

• Like 6