The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Righting Wrongs Special Feature List:

Three different feature-length presentations of the film
Original Hong Kong cut [96 mins]
Alternate Singapore cut [100 mins]
English-friendly ABOVE THE LAW cut [92 mins].

PLUS a newly produced ULTIMATE CUT, a version of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the Hong Kong and Singapore cuts to present a hypothetical “complete” version with four possible endings.

INCLUDES
Slipcase with brand-new artwork from Sean Longmore
Double-sided foldout Poster
6 Replica Lobby Cards
80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Matthew Edwards + selected archive materials
Reversible sleeve with Hong Kong poster artwork

// DISC 1 //
New 2K Remaster of the Hong Kong Cut [96 minutes]
Cantonese-language Hong Kong Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH
Cantonese-language Japan Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH [features rare ending Cantonese narration]
Cantonese Home Video Remix with normal subtitles and SDH
English 5.1
Newly-translated English Subtitles
[New] Frank Djeng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Mike Leeder and Arne Venema Commentary [HK cut]
[Archive] Cynthia Rothrock Tai Seng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Interview
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Scene-specific Commentary
[New] Peter Cunningham Interview
[New] Peter Cunningham Scene-specific Commentary
[Archive] The Vigilante: An Interview with Yuen Biao
[Archive] Action Overload: An Interview with Cynthia Rothrock
[Archive] From the Ring to the Silver Screen: An Interview with Peter Cunningham
Rare alternate “Ladies Man” ending
Hong Kong Trailer
English Trailer
Tai Seng Reconstruction Trailer

// DISC 2 //
New 2K Remaster of the English “ABOVE THE LAW” Cut - English with SDH [92 mins]
New 2K Remaster of the Singapore Cut - Mandarin with normal subtitles and SDH [100 mins]
ULTIMATE CUT featuring 4 possible endings [105 mins - 106 mins approx]
Ultimate Cut Ending Randomizer

• Like 11
  • Buddha Bless You 1

HeavenSword
20 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Righting Wrongs Special Feature List:

Three different feature-length presentations of the film
Original Hong Kong cut [96 mins]
Alternate Singapore cut [100 mins]
English-friendly ABOVE THE LAW cut [92 mins].

PLUS a newly produced ULTIMATE CUT, a version of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the Hong Kong and Singapore cuts to present a hypothetical “complete” version with four possible endings.

INCLUDES
Slipcase with brand-new artwork from Sean Longmore
Double-sided foldout Poster
6 Replica Lobby Cards
80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Matthew Edwards + selected archive materials
Reversible sleeve with Hong Kong poster artwork

// DISC 1 //
New 2K Remaster of the Hong Kong Cut [96 minutes]
Cantonese-language Hong Kong Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH
Cantonese-language Japan Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH [features rare ending Cantonese narration]
Cantonese Home Video Remix with normal subtitles and SDH
English 5.1
Newly-translated English Subtitles
[New] Frank Djeng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Mike Leeder and Arne Venema Commentary [HK cut]
[Archive] Cynthia Rothrock Tai Seng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Interview
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Scene-specific Commentary
[New] Peter Cunningham Interview
[New] Peter Cunningham Scene-specific Commentary
[Archive] The Vigilante: An Interview with Yuen Biao
[Archive] Action Overload: An Interview with Cynthia Rothrock
[Archive] From the Ring to the Silver Screen: An Interview with Peter Cunningham
Rare alternate “Ladies Man” ending
Hong Kong Trailer
English Trailer
Tai Seng Reconstruction Trailer

// DISC 2 //
New 2K Remaster of the English “ABOVE THE LAW” Cut - English with SDH [92 mins]
New 2K Remaster of the Singapore Cut - Mandarin with normal subtitles and SDH [100 mins]
ULTIMATE CUT featuring 4 possible endings [105 mins - 106 mins approx]
Ultimate Cut Ending Randomizer

Glad I went with the 88 films blu ray ….and “ Rare alternate Ladies Man “ending seems interesting  😆

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

HeavenSword

Did anyone else pre order Drive 4k from Amazon? Could have swore it said release date is August 8th but now it’s changed to the 30th?

46 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Did anyone else pre order Drive 4k from Amazon? Could have swore it said release date is August 8th but now it’s changed to the 30th?

A lot of stuff (from many labels) has been pushed.

I feel like 88 rarely keeps their original announced dates. They're more of a suggestion at this point.

• Like 1

298216227_6068568466493045_1792180028885

POLICE STORY III SUPER COP
RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 2022
Time to check out some artwork for our Stateside December release of Supercop. Working hard on a brand new 4K transfer and some fantastic special features to make this THE DEFINITIVE EDITION of one of Jackie's all-time classics. More artwork and a complete listing of extras are coming soon. In the meantime here are some behind-the-scenes of the new extras. #jackiechan #michelleyeoh #88asia #88USA #policestory #supercop
Edited by bickle14
  • Like 8

Drunken Monk

My double dipping has to end somewhere. I can’t keep buying two editions of every film. I pre-ordered Eureka’s release some will have to skip this one, no matter how good it is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

sifu iron perm
2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

My double dipping has to end somewhere. I can’t keep buying two editions of every film. I pre-ordered Eureka’s release some will have to skip this one, no matter how good it is.

I'm with you 100 percent.  

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

I'd love to double dip for the extras that I'm sure will be better than the eureka one, but alas, it's not worth it for just this one release. I already have the criterion and eureka releases of 1 and 2, and the HK blu of 3, so I have enough extras for now.

• Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I feel the same. It looks like 88 Films edition will be more packed than Eureka's in terms of extras, but sadly I'm sticking with Eureka's trilogy set due to budget. If only 88 could release the whole trilogy on 4k as well to make this a more fair decision.

• Administrator

ATTENTION: regarding the Vinegar Syndrome VS 88 Film's RIGHTING WRONGS debate

Hey everybody, how about if we discuss instead of battle? I can see that things have gotten out of hand, but this is a discussion of entertainment, not life or death, so lets put down the torches and broken bottles and reconsider talking instead of attacking one another. Please. Yes?

First of all, in the interest of full disclosure, I have done work for both companies being discussed. Though I've done more work for 88 Films than Vinegar Syndrome, both companies are a joy to work for and I have no complaints about either. Additionally, as a major collector of physical media I have been buying and enjoying releases from both companies since long before I was ever employed by either. My third point of relevance in this matter, is that I did not work on either companies' release of RIGHTING WRONGS, and I am a huge fan of the film and have long been dreaming of it getting a nice Blu-ray edition.

Putting emotions aside for a minute, here are the facts...

- RIGHTING WRONGS is a film highly rated by most Hong Kong action fans and we are incredibly lucky that it has not only received a decent HD release, but two deluxe, HD special editions. This is certainly above and beyond what any of us would've expected up until about five years ago.

- Over the years, and more and more in recent times, many Hong Kong movie fans on both sides of the ocean have complained "Why is this great edition coming out, but not in my region?"

- Now we have arrived at a moment that many physical media collectors have asked for- a desirable film getting special treatment from two different caring companies for two major regions.

- Everyone, especially those with All-Region Blu-ray players, now has an option to get RIGHTING WRONGS in the form of special features-laden releases with fancy packaging and extras.

So it would make sense that everyone in every corner should be extremely happy about all this, right? :nerd:  Ah, but that's where the "emotional element" comes into play. :squigglemouth:

It seems that the major issue people are having is that they feel "their" company- whichever side you may be on, if you've chosen a side- is right/better, or that the other side has been insulting or disparaging. Some people here on the forum, on the Blu-ray.com forum, and several other places have been getting pissed off about this situation.  I do understand. Here on the forum I've been asked by both "sides" to intervene. Here are my thoughts on the situation...

Though some may not like what's being said, who's saying it, and where it's being said, everything that people are getting riled up about is exactly what a "forum" is supposed to be!

DEFINITION OF FORUM:

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/
noun
  1. 1.
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    "it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

So it's irrational to be angered or disappointed by the discussion of the two different versions here and in the 88 thread as that's exactly the point of these threads.

To touch on some specifics, if I could only afford to buy one of the two versions of RIGHTING WRONGS* I'd want to know which one I would prefer, so I'd search for information... in this forum. Some people, respected friends included, have said that they are getting "turned off to 88 Films" because of comments made by some of the people that work for 88 regarding the Vinegar Syndrome release. That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear people are being affected this way, but just like the text page "views expressed disclaimer/opinion disclaimer" we see on many physical releases proclaims: the opinions expressed within the post's content are solely the author's and do not reflect the opinions and beliefs of the company, website, or its affiliates. They're just free individuals expressing themselves. @OldPangYau worked for months on the 88 version and when VS announced theirs, he (to me, understandably) felt like "But wait, there's also this coming" and said so. It wasn't malicious. You may think it was unnecessary, and that's fine. Those are two different opinions. @Irongod2112 is a hardcore Hong Kong cinema fan and wants everything to be as close to perfect as it can be on every release, no matter the company. He has expressed regret/pointed out flaws on releases that he has worked on too (the companies don't always listen to or follow guidance). He isn't commenting as some sort of arch nemesis of VS, only as a guy/fan that knows the info that he's sharing. And, the things he's said are true. No, he doesn't own the VS release, but many trusted friends have stated that THE BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS/ THE DEADLIEST ART documentary on the VS set is not completely presented in HD, so why would he doubt them? He admitted he received the knowledge second-hand, but he had many sources. For the record, and I haven't spoken to him about it, but I do own the VS release and it is true- it's not all HD and some of the clips are in the wrong aspect ratio. As for some of the questions revolving around the how and why of this, usually things are more complicated than they may seem from the outside looking in. You might assume that a company owns a film, you pay the licensing for it, and you get exactly what you once saw in the theater years ago. Not so. For a variety of reasons there are often multiple versions, and sometimes things that were changed by the copyright holder in the interim years. I owned THE DEADLIEST ART: THE BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS on laser disc and watched and showed it to dozens of people. And for instance, without a doubt, the footage of Bruce Lee on the VS version of the doc is not the same as I watched for all these years. It's from an overly DNR'ed (Digital Noise Reduction, which if over-used can result in loss of detail and create waxy-looking faces) source, so Fortune Star (the company the doc was licensed from) have made some changes instead of simply providing VS with the exact same release that we all saw in 1990. One of the guys from VS said something negative about the sound on a recent 88 release, and much was made of it by others. Does he hate 88? Is he trying to destroy them? Get revenge for the competitive comments about the RIGHTING WRONGS release? Uh... I doubt it. I'd guess he simply felt there was a negative element to the audio on that film and voiced his opinion about it (since deleted, probably to quell the combative fires others created). He's a film fan, he bought that release, and stated something he felt. Lines were not drawn.

And I'll tell you all some insider info to demonstrate that things are not as black and white nor malicious as some may think. One of the guys (I won't say who) working for 88 on RIGHTING WRONGS (and many other titles) noticed there was a technical issue with the prints provided by Fortune Star. It's the kind of thing that not everyone would've caught, but for certain, some people would notice upon its Blu-ray release. He assumed correctly that VS would receive the same problematic print, so he reached out to them to let them know in case they missed it. He didn't consider keeping the info to himself so that the version he worked on could be better, he only wanted the fans purchasing any version of the film to get the best release possible. For whatever reason VS didn't respond, but he tried a few more times over a couple of months. He could easily have shrugged "well, I tried" and let it be. But instead, he kept trying. He asked me, knowing I had done some work for VS, if I could possibly put him directly in touch with someone there so he could warn them of the flaw, and I was able to help them connect. This is the kind of behavior that we should all strive for. Helping one another be our best instead of focusing on what divides us. Differences of opinion are healthy, even if you disagree with them. I wouldn't want us to all be the same color, religion, wear the same clothes, all like and dislike the same things. That's called being a plastic clone! As long as our differences aren't violent or harmful I think we should all embrace them. That's why you're really here, right? To learn from other like-minded people what they do or don't like, what they recommend, etc, so as to inform yourself.

Not every release, no matter who puts it out, is going to please everyone. I was disappointed and griped about 88's SDH-only subtitles back on their 2019 release of SNAKE & CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN (it's a personal pet peeve- I hate reading stuff like "thunderous music plays" when I just want translations of dialogue and text. Other people don't mind this at all. Again, we all have differences, and that's fine). Are there things I'm not thrilled with on the VS release of RIGHTING WRONGS? Yes, a few minor things (which others have already mentioned). But the good far out-weighs the bad. It's a fantastic release and I am so glad I bought it. As for "VS or 88's version- which is better?"... healthy competition almost always results in higher and higher quality products being released all around. No doubt fans will find much to love from each of them. I raise a toast to and give my respect to VS, 88, and all the other labels out there putting out discs of the films we love. Bravo, and thank you all!

In conclusion, you (yes, you) may have an issue with what's being said here, but it's not personal. We don't welcome personal insults and attacks here, and several people have crossed the line a bit in these recent posts. Be cool people. :bigsmile: You can disagree and express your opinions with respect. Speak/write to others as you'd want to be spoken/written to. It's that simple. Let's keep it real and respectfully speak our minds here.

(I'm also posting this same thing in the 88 Films thread.)

* Technically I can only afford to buy one, yet I ordered both, despite it not really being "in the budget", deciding to skip other wants of mine in deference to these two sets. :angel

• Like 14
  • Buddha Bless You 4

• Administrator
9 hours ago, bickle14 said:

298216227_6068568466493045_1792180028885

POLICE STORY III SUPER COP
RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 2022
Time to check out some artwork for our Stateside December release of Supercop. Working hard on a brand new 4K transfer and some fantastic special features to make this THE DEFINITIVE EDITION of one of Jackie's all-time classics. More artwork and a complete listing of extras are coming soon. In the meantime here are some behind-the-scenes of the new extras. #jackiechan #michelleyeoh #88asia #88USA #policestory #supercop

OH YEAH! This looks so sweet! :nerd: Can hardly wait.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Agreed. Allthough 88Films might have the better Supercop release, the Eureka set offers a much better and complete package. Might pick up the 88 release on a future sale if its still relevant. 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I am fine with multiple releases from different companies as it gives more choice and allows everyone to experience these amazing films. I just do not like these 4k releases without a bluray. 

Edited by BLfan
  • Like 5

• Administrator

How is the MARTIAL CLUB release, people? I haven't received mine yet, but I'm excited for this one. I'll definitely be checking out both commentaries and all the extras on this. Anyone watch any of the extras yet?

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 minutes ago, Graysman said:

I just checked on Amazon uk and they have the release date as August 22 262DF9C9-2B6F-45E0-A1A7-B9191632D402.thumb.png.43ffcd0513bed96bb7d9ad68b47736be.png

It's September 13th for the U.S 

• Like 1

Ive been thinking about this for a while, but have forgotten to ask. Since all extras from previous HKL releases (and other releases and including commentaries) are ported over to the Eureka/88Films releases, how come they never add the Bey Logan commentary tracks? 

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
On 8/12/2022 at 8:10 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Will the 88 & eureka set of PS3 be the same transfer print?

Edit sorry Drunken Monk didn't mean to QUOTE you..