The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Graysman said:

Can you clarify @sifu iron perm buddy thanks.

What I've been told it hops between mandrin and English in few scenes? Where it shouldn't have to? 

• Like 2

it does say the english audio is from the Instructors Of Death print,could it be this audio isn't complete and there's mandarin for the missing parts?

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

9 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

What I've been told it hops between mandrin and English in few scenes? Where it shouldn't have to? 

I can verify there are a few scenes when it jumps to Mandarin w/ subs while watching the english dub.

It's like watching a extended cut of a movie where they didn't dub the voices for the new scenes... Personally I'd rather have the extra scenes w/o dub then have those missing, just to keep it all in english... On the other hand if you watch it in it's native language with Eng Subs, the problem is gone

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

AlexanderFu

This is the crappy dub team anyway. I don't know why they switched to this gaggle of nonsense voices, maybe it was Mona Fon's way of saving a few bucks. It would make sense to me from what I've heard about how she did business.

1st Time I heard these nasty voices was on the House of Traps dub and I was shocked!! Almost ruined a good movie for me. I love and prefer dubs, but when they are this bad you might as well put the original language and subs on for sure.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

This is the crappy dub team anyway. I don't know why they switched to this gaggle of nonsense voices, maybe it was Mona Fon's way of saving a few bucks. It would make sense to me from what I've heard about how she did business.

1st Time I heard these nasty voices was on the House of Traps dub and I was shocked!! Almost ruined a good movie for me. I love and prefer dubs, but when they are this bad you might as well put the original language and subs on for sure.

It sounds like one guy doing all the male voices.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, AlexanderFu said:

I wonder why The Flying Guillotine II isn't on the 88 home page but Amazon has it for pre order (August 9th release or close to that)? I keep checking but it is nowhere to be found.

I preordered it on zavvi at least 15 days ago.

AlexanderFu
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I preordered it on zavvi at least 15 days ago.

Well, at least we got mail to look forward to! I ordered this on June 26th from Amazon (gakk!), but I would have ordered from 88 if they even advertised it! My Martial Club came 5 days ago from 88. Tomorrow Martial Club is also coming from Amazon, so maybe i'll try to offer it up if I don't feel like keeping 2. I ws just curious what Amazon will send because like I said, they always advertise Special Edition and send the NON special Edition!

I also ordered the Hapkido from Eureka and that's not coming for a while. Should be nice though. They charge a lot at Eureka. Arrow also. $130 for Shawscope Volume 1? I'll go to Barnes and Noble for $89, thank you very much!

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Ramji said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but there’s some pretty glaring errors in the final essay in The Seventh Curse accompanying booklet. Not sure how they slipped through the proof read. Apart from that fantastic set!

It's been a chronic issue with Eureka and 88 Films. They really need to step up their game here before signing off the final proofs to the printer.

• Like 4

Chemical Lemon
On 7/17/2022 at 9:31 PM, BigDruDogg said:

I can verify there are a few scenes when it jumps to Mandarin w/ subs while watching the english dub.

It's like watching a extended cut of a movie where they didn't dub the voices for the new scenes... Personally I'd rather have the extra scenes w/o dub then have those missing, just to keep it all in english... On the other hand if you watch it in it's native language with Eng Subs, the problem is gone

Back when Media Blasters released this on dvd in the US they said this is one that Celestial Pictures could not offer an English audio for. I believe the same thing was true for Black Magic 2, but it’s possible I’m misremembering that. They did end up tracking down a copy of (I assume) Instructors of Death on (I assume) vhs. And basically did exactly what 88 Films has done here. The 88 films version of the soundtrack is more complete though. There are fewer sections of the film without the English dub and usually for smaller chunks of the film. In many of these situations this is where 88s English audio is the worst though. I get the feeling that media blasters cut out chunks where the audio was most problematic while 88 tried to maximize the English audio even when it went in and out. It is noticeable and unfortunate but I appreciate that what’s there is there. And the audio actually sounds much better than media blasters for the vast majority. Much easier to make out what people are saying. 

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 2:31 AM, BigDruDogg said:

Cantonese (not Mandarin).

On 7/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, Django said:

Is it the same team that did Five Element Ninjas? 

It sounds like Simon Broad's voice.

14 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Back when Media Blasters released this on dvd in the US they said this is one that Celestial Pictures could not offer an English audio for. I believe the same thing was true for Black Magic 2, but it’s possible I’m misremembering that. They did end up tracking down a copy of (I assume) Instructors of Death on (I assume) vhs. And basically did exactly what 88 Films has done here. The 88 films version of the soundtrack is more complete though. There are fewer sections of the film without the English dub and usually for smaller chunks of the film. In many of these situations this is where 88s English audio is the worst though. I get the feeling that media blasters cut out chunks where the audio was most problematic while 88 tried to maximize the English audio even when it went in and out. It is noticeable and unfortunate but I appreciate that what’s there is there. And the audio actually sounds much better than media blasters for the vast majority. Much easier to make out what people are saying. 

Nearly, but a few corrections:

• Media Blasters mainly used the VHS (a recording of a cut TV broadcast, I believe), patching with Cantonese. Unfortunately, the pitch was off on it.
  • For the 88 Films release, however, they arranged the transfer of a 35 mm print which was higher quality, patching with the VHS (I had a copy) and Cantonese (aside from some non-dialogue bits, there's only two brief bits in Cantonese). I wrote about it at Blu-ray.com forum.

The US trailer was also mine, incidentally. I think there are chunks missing, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 8

Chemical Lemon
17 minutes ago, chen lung said:

Nearly, but a few corrections:

• Media Blasters mainly used the VHS (a recording of a cut TV broadcast, I believe), patching with Cantonese. Unfortunately, the pitch was off on it.
  • For the 88 Films release, however, they arranged the transfer of a 35 mm print which was higher quality, patching with the VHS (I had a copy) and Cantonese (aside from some non-dialogue bits, there's only two brief bits in Cantonese). I wrote about it at Blu-ray.com forum.

Thanks for the info @chen lung

I watched about half the new disc before digging out the media blasters. The part that inspired me to dig out the dvd was the scene in the restaurant where Gordon liu and Mai te lo first get into a fight with Wang lung wei. The audio on the blu is very off there, very jumpy. When I went back to the dvd it turned out that the majority of that section was just in Cantonese. I assume this is one of the places that 88 needed to patch from the vhs. I appreciate that 88 went to those lengths. I think the English audio is kind of a second thought for most people. But as someone who grew up watching these on vhs bootlegged off US/UK tv they really do have quite a bit of value for me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Thanks for the info @chen lung

I watched about half the new disc before digging out the media blasters. The part that inspired me to dig out the dvd was the scene in the restaurant where Gordon liu and Mai te lo first get into a fight with Wang lung wei. The audio on the blu is very off there, very jumpy. When I went back to the dvd it turned out that the majority of that section was just in Cantonese. I assume this is one of the places that 88 needed to patch from the vhs.

If it was missing in the VHS, then it's likely Media Blasters would have jumped to Cantonese.

If I remember correctly, that scene was in the print (so no patching needed really, I don't think), but the quality isn't the best as you've more or less conveyed (mini dropouts, etc). It was the only other known source for the English version (and my gratitude to the University's archive in lending it for transfer and 88 for investing).

I remember the TV recording removed a bit of swearing (the print has it) from Wilson Tong's character (about 12 minutes in).

• Like 6

AlexanderFu
On 7/18/2022 at 3:56 AM, Django said:

Is it the same team that did Five Element Ninjas? 

Yep. It seems around the beginning of the '80's, some genius thought it would be a good idea for the dubs to sound like bad cartoon characters. Probably Mona trying to save some dough. Ted Thomas and crew anyday! Worth the price, imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

This is good news. They have released most of Van Damme's trash by now, so we should get some good ones this time :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is anyone actually clamoring for Chuck Norris films?

I'm sure there are a handful people who want a good copy of Eye for an Eye or The Octagon. Although I can't imagine anybody wanting anything he did from Hitman onward.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

Yep. It seems around the beginning of the '80's, some genius thought it would be a good idea for the dubs to sound like bad cartoon characters. Probably Mona trying to save some dough. Ted Thomas and crew anyday! Worth the price, imo.

I think it's just one guy to boot.

• Like 2

AlexanderFu
59 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I think it's just one guy to boot.

Maybe that's why Shaw switched. Less people to pay! Meanwhile I bet they were super rich.

• Like 1