The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Master with OK Fingers
On 7/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, chen lung said:

One wasn’t supplied (probably never existed).

There will likely be normal and SDH sets for the main feature (produced them, thanks also to translator Tim Wong), by the way.

I wasn't really expecting an Eng dub for this one and as I've never seen it before, definitely not a deal breaker for me. I am really looking forward to this one.

The only reason I like the original dubs, is that is how I grew up watching them. When you've seen a film 100+ times a certain way, it's very hard to view it any other way. Like the Police Story from Eureka a few years ago, it had the original Eng Dub but didn't have the KB score, so sounded completely alien to me. Thankfully the New 4k box set has put that right!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

In a post 88Films is announcing to be quitting their Shaw Bros output. Flying Guillotine will be their final SB title. Bit of a bummer, imo!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jochem said:

In a post 88Films is announcing to be quitting their Shaw Bros output. Flying Guillotine will be their final SB title. Bit of a bummer, imo!

'Flying Guillotine II', yeah.

At least they're ending them on a high (the ten last titles had newly translated subtitles, A/V improvements here and there, and sometimes a shitload of extras), and who knows in future!

• Like 2

ShawAngela
23 minutes ago, Jochem said:

I'm angry !!

• Like 1

actionfan93
2 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

Arrow moved in on their territory. 88 can focus on some other areas of the HK filmography.

I wonder what their direction will be next will they focus more on Hong Kong Action or will they go a different direction I wonder what they do next

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 1

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, panzer said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CflcfEnoZ-G/

In the Instagram post, they also ask "Would you like to see some more in the future?" so it definitely seems like they're open to revisitng Shaws, however I'm surprised they're ending on such a hot streak.

Yeah sounds like they their current batch is completed (everything they announced approximately a year ago). I suspect this isn’t the last of SB we’ve seen from 88, at least I hope not. 

Edited by Chemical Lemon
Reworded to be clearer
  • Like 1

There is no way to tell whether they have sold enough units, or not. One would guess demand is here, but who knows? Don’t have stats.

For me the ideal would be 88Films covering other genres of the Hong Kong industry for a year and than heading back to the SB titles. The upcoming Tiger Cage and Writing Wrongs maybe a indication?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jochem said:

For me the ideal would be 88Films covering other genres of the Hong Kong industry for a year and than heading back to the SB titles. The upcoming Tiger Cage and Writing Wrongs maybe a indication?

Three genres 88 can venture into are crime, thriller and comedy.

• Like 3

actionfan93
6 hours ago, Graysman said:

I’d like to see some girls with guns movies 🤞 

I think they are coming as @Irongod2112 told us to wait on In the line of Duty 1-4 I assume others are coming as well but not sure if 88,Eureka both or another label will put them out

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
7 hours ago, Jochem said:

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm angry !!

6 hours ago, panzer said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CflcfEnoZ-G/

In the Instagram post, they also ask "Would you like to see some more in the future?" so it definitely seems like they're open to revisitng Shaws, however I'm surprised they're ending on such a hot streak.

5 hours ago, bickle14 said:

Arrow moved in on their territory. 88 can focus on some other areas of the HK filmography.

4 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Yeah sounds like they their current batch is completed (everything they announced approximately a year ago). I suspect this isn’t the last of SB we’ve seen from 88, at least I hope not. 

2 hours ago, Jochem said:

There is no way to tell whether they have sold enough units, or not. One would guess demand is here, but who knows? Don’t have stats.

Hey brothers and sisters, don't get mad or sad. I don't think some of you read that first post carefully or get what they are saying. They never said "We don't want to and will not be releasing any more Shaw Brothers titles." They never said that:lipssealed They were only saying that they've now released the last of the Shaw Brothers titles that they have licensed. The (any) company can only license so many things at a time, and it's not good business sense to put all your eggs in one basket (even a "Shaw Brothers basket") so they also licensed Golden Harvest titles, horror, thrillers, exploitation, and other movies. See below...

3 hours ago, bickle14 said:

May be an image of text that says 'AG 88_films @gacharic78 well we don't have another' contract yet but if the demand is there we can make another one. 2h 5 likes Reply Send'

They've asked your opinion on whether or not you'd like to see them release more Shaw Brothers films. So get on social media- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram- and respond here (yes, they do visit this forum) and tell them if you dig what they've done so far and want more. They're asking you, their customer base your opinion, and they're listening. So please, let 'em know. :bigsmile:

• Like 12
  • Buddha Bless You 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

Eureka will continue the tradition..

And so will 88 if you tell them you want more. @sifu iron perm did you read my last post? :call :wink:

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2

sifu iron perm
6 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

And so will 88 if you tell them you want more. @sifu iron perm did you read my last post? :call :wink:

Just did now, very reassuring,  I will indeed Request more Shaws!!!!!

• Like 5

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

Just did now, very reassuring,  I will indeed Request more Shaws!!!!!

I already asked them for more on their Facebook page !! Thanks @KUNG FU BOB!

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

AlexanderFu

Well, Eureka and Arrow better start adding the reversable posters like 88 did! They're priceless to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 3

So hey you guys from 88. Your SB  releases were great and I bought nearly all of them. And I would continue to support the releases. The demand is there.

BUT

Even more i would like to see the JetLi classics. FongSaiYuk getting the deluxe treatment with KungFuBob artwork would be mesmerizing.

You guys are great.

So that was my feedback 😀 

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Right on. Here's my 2 cents...

Hi 88 Films, thanks for listening to what your customers want. Yeah, I may do some artwork for you, but even if I wasn't I would 100% still have been buying every one of your Shaw Brothers Blu-rays (just as I did before I worked with you). So, as a fan, YES, PLEASE RELEASE MORE SHAW BROTHERS TITLES!!!

I'd love 88 releases of...

AVENGING EAGLE (1978, aka. Cold Blooded Eagles / Shaolin Hero / The Twelve Deadly Assassins)

DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1972, HK, aka. Outlaw of the Forest / Happy Forest / 7 Blows of the Dragon 3)

DRUNKEN MONKEY (2003, HK) Waaaay underrated! Anything with Lau Kar-Leung performing kung fu is gold.

HEROES TWO (1974, aka. Heroes 2 / Kung Fu Invaders / Bloody Fists / Bloody Brothers / Fang Shih Yu  and Hung Hsi Kuan)

HONG KONG GODFATHER (1985, aka. Hong Kong Godfathers / Heroes of Tsim Shat Tsui)

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN (1972, HK)

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN (1977, Hong Kong, aka. Unbeatable Dragon / North Shaolin VS South Shaolin / Shaolin Bloodshed)

LADY IS THE BOSS (1983, Hong Kong)

LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES (1974, HK/UK, aka. SEVEN BROTHERS MEET DRACULA)

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1986, China, aka. Shaolin Temple 3 / North & South Shaolin / Arahan)

NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971, Hong Kong, aka. Triple Irons / The One Armed Swordsman)

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN 2 (1968, HK, aka. Return of the One-Armed Swordsman / One Armed Swordsman Returns)

RETURN OF THE CHINESE BOXER (1977, HK, aka. Chinese Boxer 2 / Revenge of the Samurai)

RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1968, HK, aka. One-Armed Swordsman 2 / One Armed Swordsman Returns)

SACRED KNIVES OF VENGEANCE (1972, aka. The Killer)

SHAOLIN PRINCE (1983, HK, aka. Death Mask of the Ninja / Iron Fingers of Death / Iron Fingers of  Shaolin / Prince of Shaolin / Wu Tang Prince)

TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG (1979, Hong Kong, aka. Ten Tigers From Kuangtung / Ten Tigers of Kuangtung / 10 Tigers of Kwangtung)

THREE EVIL MASTERS (1980, Hong Kong, aka. The Master / 3 Evil Masters)

VENGEANCE (1970, Hong Kong, aka. Vengeance! / Kung Fu Vengeance)

And maybe... :itwasntme

BOXER REBELLION (1976, aka. Bloody Avengers / Spiritual Fists)

DEADLY BREAKING SWORD (1979, HK)

DEADLY DUO, THE (1971, HK)

DUEL OF THE IRON FIST (1971, aka. Duel of the Iron Fists / The Duel / Iron Fist Village / Duel of the Shaolin Fists)

HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD (1983)

I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN DAD! (1984, HK)

KID FROM KWANGTUNG (1982, HK, aka. Kwangtung Warriors)

KILLER ARMY (1980, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, aka. The Guerilla / Guerillas / Rebel Intruders)

KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, THE (1979, Hong Kong)

LIFE GAMBLE (1979, HK, aka. Life Combat)

MAGIC BLADE, THE (1976, Hong Kong)

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS, THE (1979, Hong Kong, aka. Destroyers of the Five Deadly Venoms /  The Destroyers)

MARCO POLO (1975, Hong Kong, aka. The Four Assassins / The 4 Assassins)

MASTER OF DISASTER (1981, aka. Treasure Hunters / Brother Dragon Tiger)

MASTER STRIKES BACK, THE (1985, Hong Kong)

MEN FROM THE MONASTERY (1974, aka. Disciples of Death)

MY REBELLIOUS SON (1982, Hong Kong, aka. Raging Tiger)

NEW SHAOLIN BOXER (1976, Hong Kong, aka. Grandmaster of Kung Fu / Grandmaster of Death / DemonFists of Kung Fu / New Shaolin Boxers / Choy Lay Fat Kid / Mad Boy / Silly Boy)

OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER (1984, HK, aka. Master of the Hung Clan / The Lightning Fists of Shaolin)

PROUD TWINS, THE (1979, HK)

SAVAGE FIVE (1974, HK)

SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT (1984, HK, aka. Police Pool of Blood)

SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976, HK, aka. Invincible Kung Fu Brothers)

SHAOLIN HAND LOCK (1978, HK, aka. Shaolin Hand Lock)

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS (1983, HK, aka. Battle For Shaolin)

SHAOLIN RESCUERS (1979, HK, aka. Avenging Warriors of Shaolin / Avenging Warriors)

SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD, THE (1981, Hong Kong)

TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN (1980, Hong Kong, aka. Two Champions of Death / 2 Champions of  Shaolin / Shaolin and Wu Dang)

Now you other media-collecting forum peeps please ask for your wants. :bigsmile:

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 7