The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Deja vu? :tongueout -

I ask this for every movie i didnt watch yet. So forgot that i asked already for on the run. Sorry for dejavuquestion. And thanks for remembering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FightingFool
5 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Wow. Nice.

So:

1. How is the movie considering martial arts/fighting? 

Even as it`s not MA movie it has some good action and stunts. But don`t take just my word and check trailer;

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Graysman said:

The Seventh curse Framed “Fantastic “ Love it.

Damn!! That looks amazing, I'll be running out of wall space soon!

Out of curiosity, how big is Chow Yun-Fat's role in the movie? It's a rare one from him I haven't seen.

• Like 4

AlexanderFu

I ordered Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China. 1st I got them on Amazon, and they sent me regular Discs when the description said 'Special edition'. Back they went. I told them the situation and they resent. Same thing. Back they went.

So I said eff it and went to the 88 Films site. It cost a few $ more, but they get to N.Y. quick from The U.K. (Royal Mail beats the snot out of USPS any day! I hope Louis Dejoy, or whatever the hell his name is gets indicted with tRump!) Bottom line, I got both of them in Special Edition with the posters, which is what I was after if the 1st place.  My suggestion is screw Amazon, go to the 88 site and get the better product!

I bought everything they had, especially Killer Meteors and Human Lanterns - even got To Kill With Intrigue since it looks so good (No Poster though). In fact, the only 2 that didn't come S.E. was The Chinese Boxer and The Spiritual Boxer, I guess because they were released so long ago. Great customer service also!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlexanderFu said:

I ordered Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China. 1st I got them on Amazon, and they sent me regular Discs when the description said 'Special edition'. Back they went. I told them the situation and they resent. Same thing. Back they went.

So I said eff it and went to the 88 Films site. It cost a few $ more, but they get to N.Y. quick from The U.K. (Royal Mail beats the snot out of USPS any day! I hope Louis Dejoy, or whatever the hell his name is gets indicted with tRump!) Bottom line, I got both of them in Special Edition with the posters, which is what I was after if the 1st place.  My suggestion is screw Amazon, go to the 88 site and get the better product!

I bought everything they had, especially Killer Meteors and Human Lanterns - even got To Kill With Intrigue since it looks so good (No Poster though). In fact, the only 2 that didn't come S.E. was The Chinese Boxer and The Spiritual Boxer, I guess because they were released so long ago. Great customer service also!

Adding onto that, every time I've preordered from the 88 Films website, I have received my order 1-2 weeks before the official release date, despite it shipping from the UK to the US.

• Like 5

FightingFool
1 hour ago, AlexanderFu said:

I can send you flag of iron slip and booklet for price of actual shipping. I collect movies mainly,

• Like 4

FightingFool
1 minute ago, AslanBey said:

Is this offer also applicable on older Jackie 88 releases? Operation condor, dragon lord etc...:monk_coolagent:

I have postcards to some old skool jc 88 releases if you are interested of those.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

AlexanderFu
15 hours ago, FightingFool said:

I can send you flag of iron slip and booklet for price of actual shipping. I collect movies mainly,

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you!

I was lucky to get the Slipcover version with the poster from 88 Filma after Amazon sent me just the disc only version twice, which I sent back twice. If any chance some older slipcases/posters like Chinese Boxer, Spiritual Boxer or To Kill With Intrigue from 88 Films are for sale, please PM me! And thank you again for the king offer :cool:.

• Like 2

Extras for On the Run:

Rigid slipcase with brand-new artwork from R.P. "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien
2K Transfer from Original Film Materials
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Cantonese Mono
Newly remastered English subtitles
Audio Commentary with Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast On Fire Network
Audio Commentary with Asian Cinema Experts Frank Djeng and FJ DeSanto
[new] Running Away - An Interview with Alfred Cheung
[new] Predicting the Future - An Interview with David West
Alternate Ending
Hong Kong Trailer

• Like 6

Master with OK Fingers
13 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Extras for On the Run:

Rigid slipcase with brand-new artwork from R.P. "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien
2K Transfer from Original Film Materials
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Cantonese Mono
Newly remastered English subtitles
Audio Commentary with Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast On Fire Network
Audio Commentary with Asian Cinema Experts Frank Djeng and FJ DeSanto
[new] Running Away - An Interview with Alfred Cheung
[new] Predicting the Future - An Interview with David West
Alternate Ending
Hong Kong Trailer

No English dub! Monsters Inc Fainting GIF by Disney Pixar

Still looking forward to this though. Will be a first watch for me and cannot wait!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:52 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

No English dub! Monsters Inc Fainting GIF by Disney Pixar

Still looking forward to this though. Will be a first watch for me and cannot wait!

One wasn’t supplied (probably never existed).

Thanks also to translator Tim Wong for verifying the subtitles.

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 7

Ive Never seen On The Run and while I know it's highly regarded,I'm trying to cut back a little and with Tiger Cage,Righting Wrongs,Dragons Forever 4K on the way I may swerve this one till a cheaper edition surfaces.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

OH DAMN!!! :bigsmile: 88's version of RIGHTING WRONGS will have 3 official versions of the film (Hong Kong Cantonese, Singaporean Mandarin, and English dubbed Export Cut) and a "hybrid cut" and an "ending randomizer" with even more previously unknown endings! :tongue: Holy Hong Kong classics, Batman!

Hard to believe how far Asian home releases have come since the days of we-were-lucky-if-we-could-find-a-shitty-quality-pan-and-scan-dubbed-bootleg or a re-edited, re-scored, re-named MirimAxe version. Rejoice fellow fans! :nerd:

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

5 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

OH DAMN!!! :bigsmile: 88's version of RIGHTING WRONGS will have 3 official versions of the film (Hong Kong Cantonese, Singaporean Mandarin, and English dubbed Export Cut) and a "hybrid cut" and an "ending randomizer" with even more previously unknown endings! :tongue: Holy Hong Kong classics, Batman!

Hard to believe how far Asian home releases have come since the days of we-were-lucky-if-we-could-find-a-shitty-quality-pan-and-scan-dubbed-bootleg or a re-edited, re-scored, re-named MirimAxe version. Rejoice fellow fans! :nerd:

Oh, the good old Tai Seng/Megastar/Universe/MiramAxe days! We went from non-anamorphic uncut HK DVDs with NTSC conversions of PAL masters and garbage sewer pipe remixes, to anamorphic retitled recut redubbed rescored MiramAxe DVDs and Blu-rays! Joy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

thundered mantis
7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

OH DAMN!!! :bigsmile: 88's version of RIGHTING WRONGS will have an "ending randomizer" with even more previously unknown endings!

@KUNG FU BOB from the trailer I understand they are "newly EDITED finales" so we do not get any new footage, just composed endings that use the footage we also know. Am I right?

Edited by thundered mantis
typing error
  • Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
10 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Oh, the good old Tai Seng/Megastar/Universe/MiramAxe days! We went from non-anamorphic uncut HK DVDs with NTSC conversions of PAL masters and garbage sewer pipe remixes, to anamorphic retitled recut redubbed rescored MiramAxe DVDs and Blu-rays! Joy!

Exactly!

10 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

@KUNG FU BOB from the trailer I understand they are "newly EDITED finales" so we do not get any new footage, just composed endings that use the footage we also know. Am I right?

As far as I understand, no, I don't think you're right. It seems there are additional alternate endings (not just the two that most fans are aware of) that were found and will be included on the 88 Film's version.

• Like 10

FJ DeSanto
On 6/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, Graysman said:

What can I say @KUNG FU BOB you did it again fabulous another beauty to the collection 

70E0CEB3-00F2-44A8-8683-E8D3A12D7B85.jpeg

This may be one of @KUNG FU BOB's best pieces. Having the privilege of doing one of the audio commentaries for this I'm Happy to report the new re-master is beautiful. It's a real anomaly of a film from this era and Yuen's acting is incredible. A nearly perfect noir. If you haven't seen it, it's an absolute classic. Just don't expect tons of the usual action (which actually makes the movie great. 

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 2

thundered mantis
19 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

As far as I understand, no, I don't think you're right. It seems there are additional alternate endings (not just the two that most fans are aware of) that were found and will be included on the 88 Film's version.

Yesterday I was looking onto the bluray.com forum and there's a pretty informative thread on this 88 films release. On that thread, I think it's OldPangYu, clarifies the alternative endings have been edited by himself as "whatifs". So no new ending footage.

I most surely will get only the 88 Films release anyway, as it's way cheaper and I'm sure it will also be great!! Kudos to VS anyway, as they managed to get some very juicy extras on their package. 

• Like 5

FJ DeSanto
8 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Yesterday I was looking onto the bluray.com forum and there's a pretty informative thread on this 88 films release. On that thread, I think it's OldPangYu, clarifies the alternative endings have been edited by himself as "whatifs". So no new ending footage.

I most surely will get only the 88 Films release anyway, as it's way cheaper and I'm sure it will also be great!! Kudos to VS anyway, as they managed to get some very juicy extras on their package. 

I think @KUNG FU BOB already said this but I was told by Frank Djeng theres actually a third ending with this edition that hasn't been released before. Based on what I was told, its really interesting!

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1