The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

AlexanderFu

I had to buy a region free player just to watch Killer Meteors, I can't understand why all of a sudden everything is region B, when before it was A or A/B. Of course, after that I find out how to switch regions on my internal optical drive, but I have a new piece of equipment, always a good thing. only $129.00 total.

Did 88 Films do 'To Kill With Intrigue' exclusively, or did other companies?

That looks like it was shot onto glass, the best Blu-ray I have seen so far. The way the different color dresses Hsa Feng wears, and the masks, fireworks, flowers....etc. All the color in this movie is as perfect as I've seen in a HD product so far. I like the movie (Wang Tao's father is in it!), but forgetting all that, just by looks, it is the best I have seen. Perfect Blu Ray.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

I had to buy a region free player just to watch Killer Meteors, I can't understand why all of a sudden everything is region B, when before it was A or A/B. Of course, after that I find out how to switch regions on my internal optical drive, but I have a new piece of equipment, always a good thing. only $129.00 total.

Did 88 Films do 'To Kill With Intrigue' exclusively, or did other companies?

A lot depends on what the rights holders stipulate. I think most, if not all, of the Jackie/Lo Wei titles are with Criterion in the US.

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers

I have just finished watching Disciples Of Shaolin for the first time and enjoyed it immensely. I have never been a great lover of the SB films. I had seen a few down the years, King Boxer(Good), 5 Venoms(Very Good), 36th Chamber (I'm sorry, but meh), Chinese Boxer (OK), One armed boxer (OK, almost identical to Chinese boxer). This is the first time I have seen a SB film and thought holy shit that was good. I have put it down to the star of the show Fu Sheng. I will be completely honest, I had never heard of him before but he blew me away. What a shame he was taken so young and what could have been? When Fu Sheng is on screen the action is fast paced and crisp, for me not what I've seen in other SB films, What I need to know is, was it him, the choreography or did it all just come together and culminate in this film? I cannot wait to watch another one of his, and I'm hoping that there is more of the same and that this isn't a one off. I have had a look online for some of his others and I have an idea, but I bow down to the more experienced viewers of these films and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for where to go next. Fu Sheng set the bar for me in this and I want it to stay the same.

• Like 6

Master with OK Fingers
15 hours ago, saltysam said:

Chinatown Kid is fantastic.

This is the one I am leaning to next. I need to find a good copy of it that isn't too expensive. Does anyone have any of the German blu-ray releases? Are they any good?

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers
14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Boxer rebellion, New Shaolin boxers, Marco Polo, Avenging Eagle are all great Fu Sheng's performances.

Thanks, I will add them to the list.

• Like 1

FightingFool
22 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

This is the one I am leaning to next. I need to find a good copy of it that isn't too expensive. Does anyone have any of the German blu-ray releases? Are they any good?

Those koch bluerays are decent and nicely priced. Some of those even have bit  footage not on ivl dvds. At least boxer rebellion and four riders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

Those koch bluerays are decent and nicely priced. Some of those even have bit  footage not on ivl dvds. At least boxer rebellion and four riders.

I have to watch my blus, then !!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, Graysman said:

The Seventh Curse in the house. The poster is phenomenal @KUNG FU BOB well done on that brother

Actually, Sean Longmore is the artist responsible for this cool, moody artwork, not me. :wink:

I'm very excited to get this release. THE SEVENTH CURSE is a gonzo Hong Kong movie that I enjoy a lot, so getting the choice of multiple versions to watch, plus the plethora of extras including commentary tracks by Frank Djeng, Mark Walkow (a friend, and someone I've never heard an AC from yet), Arne Venema, and @Mike Leeder. Should be some great info from all these dudes.

• Like 5

FightingFool
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I have to watch my blus, then !!

Extra footage are not that earth shaking but they add little bit to storyline. And indeed you should watch them...

• Like 3

FightingFool
29 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

Damn @KUNG FU BOB  wow. 
E6322C5A-85C8-41A4-A58A-AF46AA3CEE65.jpeg

Whoa..that is some bad azz artwork as definitely positive way.incredible pic!

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Actually, Sean Longmore is the artist responsible for this cool, moody artwork, not me. :wink:

I'm very excited to get this release. THE SEVENTH CURSE is a gonzo Hong Kong movie that I enjoy a lot, so getting the choice of multiple versions to watch, plus the plethora of extras including commentary tracks by Frank Djeng, Mark Walkow (a friend, and someone I've never heard an AC from yet), Arne Venema, and @Mike Leeder. Should be some great info from all these dudes.

My apologies, still fantastic artwork as you say @KUNG FU BOB Love it Big congrats Sean Longmore definitely framing this beauty.

• Like 2

danthemandmv

Bob , my man you have done it again ! Zaaaang :bs_thumbsup:Matters in the ''real '' world have limited my visits to the board for over a month but just know that I've seen your recent DVD / Blu-Ray covers here and at Facebook and have .been suitably blown away . 

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 hours ago, Graysman said:

What can I say @KUNG FU BOB you did it again fabulous another beauty to the collection 

70E0CEB3-00F2-44A8-8683-E8D3A12D7B85.jpeg

Wow. Nice.

So:

1. How is the movie considering martial arts/fighting? 

2. Looks like a deluxe editon. 88 brings them more often in the last releases. So a question: could it be that they rerelease the first Jackiemovies (operation condor, miracles ...) in deluxe editions? That would be great³.

(3. Please please someone release JetLi movies. Thanks.)

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

1. How is the movie considering martial arts/fighting? 

Deja vu? :tongueout -

• Like 2