The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

On 5/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, Killer Meteor said:

It's what it is sadly. Even when Arrow commissioned new restorations for their box, that didn't apply to every title in the set.

They would have liked to.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

That's annoying news about HERO. As the film had previously been released in several versions that were heavily edited for violence I checked those scenes on the print 88 was given to make sure they were intact for the 88 Films release. Due to time constraints and the fact that I had only recently rewatched the film (so it was already fresh in my mind as far as coming up with the art) I did not review the entire print and therefore never noticed any problems. Where there was brief footage missing they used a different source to replace that material. But who would ever think they were licensing a relatively new title from a company that had simply thrown away part of the film as they "restored" it?! Sigh. :laluot_08:

I doubt I'm alone in feeling that I'd much rather see a film with some irreparable damage to the print included than to have those bits excised from it entirely. I'm a purist, and don't want a single second missing from any film release, but in this situation the 88 release is still, without a doubt, the very best way to see/own the film. Irritating as it may be that frames of damage were clipped, thankfully nothing of import is missing, and it's uncensored.

Hopefully we're now at the point when such practices can be avoided (technological advances may help).

I believe the English dub could only be obtained from the UK VHS, so this might be the digital debut (at least on physical media)? Also, there are newly translated subtitles (based on the Cantonese soundtrack).

• Like 2

FightingFool
On 5/29/2022 at 10:34 PM, kuenfist said:

For example ' The Avenging Eagle ' one Minute is lost in the endfight on the IVL DVD.

It`s gross one of best movies ever is available as uncut american bootled dvd only. Well, maybe filmart corrects that?

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 5/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

That's annoying news about HERO. As the film had previously been released in several versions that were heavily edited for violence I checked those scenes on the print 88 was given to make sure they were intact for the 88 Films release. Due to time constraints and the fact that I had only recently rewatched the film (so it was already fresh in my mind as far as coming up with the art) I did not review the entire print and therefore never noticed any problems. Where there was brief footage missing they used a different source to replace that material. But who would ever think they were licensing a relatively new title from a company that had simply thrown away part of the film as they "restored" it?! Sigh. :laluot_08:

I doubt I'm alone in feeling that I'd much rather see a film with some irreparable damage to the print included than to have those bits excised from it entirely. I'm a purist, and don't want a single second missing from any film release, but in this situation the 88 release is still, without a doubt, the very best way to see/own the film. Irritating as it may be that frames of damage were clipped, thankfully nothing of import is missing, and it's uncensored.

Everything considered, I'm still thankful this cool little gangster flick is on Blu and that I can watch Yuen Biao kick ass in one of his last great appearances.

Yes, I prefer warts-and-all. I'd rather have a dirty but intact theatrical print over a pretty but tampered with transfer. But as I said, the damage was done ages ago.

• Like 4

FightingFool
On 5/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, WaverBoy said:

And THE CHINATOWN KID!

For only that movie it would have been worth the set imo. It  is masterpiece. And those who hate hong kong edit, yes it`s weaker but for sake of footage not featured in international cut everyone should watch it at least once.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 6

FightingFool
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Yes, I prefer warts-and-all. I'd rather have a dirty but intact theatrical print over a pretty but tampered with transfer. But as I said, the damage was done ages ago.

To be honest even as celestial is one to blame for frame cuts I cannot be forced to be too angry of them on that thing. They made movies possible to be seen in 1st place. Dreamed when looked eastern heroes mag or ric meyers book one day can see golden swallow, blood stained with royal blood etc..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FightingFool said:

For only that movie it would have been worth the set imo. It  is masterpiece. And those who hate hong kong edit, yes it`s weaker but for sake of footage not featured in international cut everyone should watch it at least once.

I agree about chinatown kid being a masterpiece however my feelings on the hk cut made a great film quite mediocre i felt. I first saw hk cut on prime and was very underwhelmed (fight scenes seemed too short and a very weak ending) and was almost put off wanting to see the 2hr version but i bought the dvd sourced from vhs and it instantly became one of my favourite shaws. Had to get the box to finally see a good quality restored version of the 2hr cut. 

• Like 4

FightingFool
20 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

I agree about chinatown kid being a masterpiece however my feelings on the hk cut made a great film quite mediocre i felt. I first saw hk cut on prime and was very underwhelmed (fight scenes seemed too short and a very weak ending) and was almost put off wanting to see the 2hr version but i bought the dvd sourced from vhs and it instantly became one of my favourite shaws. Had to get the box to finally see a good quality restored version of the 2hr cut. 

one of very few movies with good end for

Spoiler

Sun Chien

Edited by KUNG FU BOB
Hid a spoiler.
  • Like 3

FightingFool

Concerning 7th curse..is there any martial art action?I like Sibelle Hu tho but would need some encouragement for getting limited edition(higher price but still)

• Like 2

BigDruDogg

My Killer Meteors was dispatched today, I'm looking forward to seeing it again after almost 30 years :thinking

also it's a rare original cover that I like better the KFB's (no disrespect :itwasntme)

• Like 2

AlexanderFu

Nice, mine should be here in a day or two. Royal Mail is faster than USPS for sure! Pictures are great, exactly

why I bought it!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

My Killer Meteors was dispatched today, I'm looking forward to seeing it again after almost 30 years :thinking

also it's a rare original cover that I like better the KFB's (no disrespect :itwasntme)

@BigDruDogg I feel the same way! :nerd: Hahahaha. Doing the cover for this one was a really difficult job because the original HK poster not only says it all, but is freaking awesome. I gave it my all, but I definitely didn't top it.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Mine shipped from 88 on Monday,thought i'd get it today, no dice. With the 2 day bank holiday here in the UK it will be Saturday earliest before i get it.

• Like 1

We need Magnificent Bodyguards and Fearless Hyena 2 from 88.Be a shame if they got so close to releasing early era JC and not release these. Island of Fire as well hopefully.

• Like 4

starschwar

I can only assume Magnificent Bodyguards is taking longer either because of the complexities of restoring the 3D version (which would be absolutely incredible!), or legal issues regarding the Star Wars music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starschwar said:

I can only assume Magnificent Bodyguards is taking longer either because of the complexities of restoring the 3D version (which would be absolutely incredible!), or legal issues regarding the Star Wars music.

The print used on the scandinavian blu ray boxset of magnificent bodyguards is really bad so I only hope if thats the best that fortune star can offer its best 88 stay away as there will be alot of returns. Its a shame because i was actually very surprised by how good it was and would most definitely be interested in an upgrade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is Righting Wrongs not available for pre-order anywhere yet? I thought I'd seen it online.

I preordered it on zavvi together with PS-trilogy.

Just watched Killer Meteors,was expecting a really old master but it looked excellent. Very much a Jimmy Wang Yu movie with JC very much the support act here

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1