The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 5/10/2022 at 2:51 AM, Jochem said:

The West is kept pretty much in the dark, about these Hong Kong flicks. My best guess is, lack of exposure and therefore lack of knowledge?

That's a valid excuse for your average "Joe" or "Jane", but if you call yourself a reviewer then I think you should be held to a higher standard. Do a little research. Proof-read your reviews, you know? And I have nothing personal against the guy, I just feel bothered by all the casual misinformation people throw up :puke on the web. That stuff stays there to misinform people forever. Just a few days ago I saw someone sharing the "info" that a lot of the Shaw films were lost in a fire. This is a false statement that was probably started 20 years or more ago, and it just keeps getting repeated and passed on. Fortunately, someone quickly dispelled it a myth (and I think it was one of our KFFF family members enlightening the person).

On 5/10/2022 at 6:19 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Wrong. Sure, it is not served up on a silver platter, you gotta go look for it yourself. And being a fan since '85 and doing research, reviews etc. for about 15-20 years, I will admit that the burden of acquiring info on HK cinema is fully on you. But if you put in the work, it's there... no one's being kept in the dark. 

With that said, I don't expect some rando reviewer from Bluray.com to know jack shit about the genre. But I don't think it's a big ask to at least school yourself on just the very minimal basics of what you are reviewing. Just the broad strokes. Still mixing up Chinese and Japanese in 2022 is motherfucking pathetic. Even for a guy who clearly knows nothing about the subject of his review and is merely talking out of his ass, that's still such a low bar.

97% of online reviewing is pure shit, just utter ill-informed, uneducated garbage that serves no purpose other than taking up cyberspace. And that's unfortunate. I'm not looking for a highbrow, scholarly dissertation from every film review, but at least get the basics right for the more casual readers who doesn't know any better. KungFuBob's example here made me wanna punch this guy in the cock and slap his momma for such a shitty review, though I am now a man of peace, and will not be pursuing such acts of violence. But seriously, online reviewers out there... get your fucking shit together, it's embarrassing.

You really have a way! For real LOL while reading your post, you maniac!

On 5/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, ShawAngela said:

So, it means that the IVL dvd is cut ?

Yup, it's cut.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, FightingFool said:

Yes, it is most shredded human lanters dvd. But it has some footage not available in other dvd releases.

The 88 Films Blu-ray release includes all the footage from the various versions. Finally, a wrong in Hong Kong cinema set right.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, Graysman said:

All 3 recent 88 films Hong Kong movies framed looks pretty decent to thank you so much @KUNG FU BOB

41D4B24E-CF3A-44FC-960D-4BF732156DAD.jpeg

AW, thank you! I'm glad you dig them. It's cool seeing them framed up. :)

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

That's a valid excuse for your average "Joe" or "Jane", but if you call yourself a reviewer then I think you should be held to a higher standard. Do a little research. Proof-read your reviews, you know? And I have nothing personal against the guy, I just feel bothered by all the casual misinformation people throw up :puke on the web. That stuff stays there to misinform people forever. Just a few days ago I saw someone sharing the "info" that a lot of the Shaw films were lost in a fire. This is a false statement that was probably started 20 years or more ago, and it just keeps getting repeated and passed on. Fortunately, someone quickly dispelled it a myth (and I think it was one of our KFFF family members enlightening the person).

Yeah agree. But i wonder if the guy received some feedback on his review, Otherwise, misinformation stays in the loop.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
6 hours ago, Jochem said:

Yeah agree. But i wonder if the guy received some feedback on his review, Otherwise, misinformation stays in the loop.

There doesn't appear to be any way to leave feedback or provide info to the reviewers on bluray.com.

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers

Apologies if this has already been posted. On the run up for pre-order on Amazon 👍

On The Run - DELUXE COLLECTOR'S EDITION [Blu-ray] https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YRK8N4L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_QXYCCXEK91CVK35DYZAS

Can't see any specs yet. Anyone know how many versions there are or what audio options will be available?

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Apologies if this has already been posted. On the run up for pre-order on Amazon 👍

On The Run - DELUXE COLLECTOR'S EDITION [Blu-ray] https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YRK8N4L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_QXYCCXEK91CVK35DYZAS

Can't see any specs yet. Anyone know how many versions there are or what audio options will be available?

I heard that this one is not a martial arts movie. Is that right? In that case i have to skip this one

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
4 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

I heard that this one is not a martial arts movie. Is that right? In that case i have to skip this one

Film noir with some good action scenes.  I recommend it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

There doesn't appear to be any way to leave feedback

Welcome to ‘Brazil’ 😹

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Film noir with some good action scenes.  I recommend it. 

But no emphasiz on fighting?

• Like 1

Super Ninja
8 hours ago, AslanBey said:

No. But @sifu iron perm was right to recommend it. If you're a fan of HK cinema, you really shouldn't miss this one. 

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
42 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

But @sifu iron perm was right to recommend it. If you're a fan of HK cinema, you really shouldn't miss this one.

Agreed, Biao’s best all round movie by a wide margin.

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On the Run is an unsung classic that's never really gotten the treatment it deserves. I'm sure 88 are fixing to change that.

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
8 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

c2025dce-0d1c-4781-9464-bb623340f4b6.__C

7a6c5e35-0564-4be8-ba6c-41de75b98c8c.__C

Shiish, Ill end up buying this and this will make a 7th edition to my Dragon's Forever collection stemming all the way back in 1989 VHS pirate copy! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Shiish, Ill end up buying this and this will make a 7th edition to my Dragon's Forever collection stemming all the way back in 1989 VHS pirate copy! 

Same here! I remember my first print on VHS being time-coded!

Bless

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
1 minute ago, ukrevrend said:

Same here! I remember my first print on VHS being time-coded!

Bless

The exact same copy!  = )

and my Project A 2 & Miracles also time coded.

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers
4 hours ago, Asmo said:

On the Run is an unsung classic that's necer really gotten the treatment it deserves. I'm sure 88 are fixing to change that.

This will be a first watch for me, so definitely looking forward to it.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, AslanBey said:

There's some fight scenes but they are more brutal and realistic opposed to the fancy stuff Jackie, Sammo and Bill usually did back then.

The movie is a classic but not for the reason you think it is. The story and the acting comes first, and Bill Yuen, Pat Ha as well as Charlie Chin (breaking out from his romantic and comedic roles) put out remarkable performances! An avid Hong Kong cinema fan would geek over it.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

This will be a first watch for me, so definitely looking forward to it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

The post from @DiP will give you an idea of what to expect without spoiling anything.

• Like 5

AlexanderFu

Well, I just went and did my part for the cause!

The 88 and Arrow boxes look similar, but I just ordered these 4 and also have Monkey Kung Fu and Come Drink With Me (Arrow Version). Belowpicture -  17$ 27$ 17$ & 17$. Hope for more good stuff and maybe some of the good non Shaw Stuff.  Return of the Chinese Boxer is a favorite and hope that comes soon! Human Lanterns is on it's way, 

but not until June 10th.  How you get your copy so quick, Graysman?!?

Shaw Bly rays 4- chunk.png

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

Well, I just went and did my part for the cause!

The 88 and Arrow boxes look similar, but I just ordered these 4 and also have Monkey Kung Fu and Come Drink With Me (Arrow Version). Belowpicture -  17$ 27$ 17$ & 17$. Hope for more good stuff and maybe some of the good non Shaw Stuff.  Return of the Chinese Boxer is a favorite and hope that comes soon! Human Lanterns is on it's way, 

but not until June 10th.  How you get your copy so quick, Graysman?!?

Shaw Bly rays 4- chunk.png

Uk release of Human Lanterns was last week

• Like 3

AlexanderFu
17 hours ago, saltysam said:

Uk release of Human Lanterns was last week

Thank you. I can't keep up with what's this and when's this coming. I ordered from Amazon, it said release is June 7th, so at least I'll have a few to watch until than!

Thanks for the info, saltysam!

• Like 2

Did they ever release who that "and another man" is that is doing the joint commentary for Seventh Curse with Frank Djeng?

Screenshot_2022-05-22 88 Films The Seventh Curse Deluxe Collector's Edition Detailed.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Did they ever release who that "and another man" is that is doing the joint commentary for Seventh Curse with Frank Djeng?

Screenshot_2022-05-22 88 Films The Seventh Curse Deluxe Collector's Edition Detailed.png

Marc Walkow

• Like 4

AlexanderFu

Hello, wondering if any one could help with this question about 'Flag of Iron' and 'Legendary Weapons of China'.

They just arrived, but they had no slip cases. Meanwhile a revied had the Blu-ray's with slipcovers.

Disciples of Shaolin and Shaolin Mantis had slip covers as did Monkey Kung Fu and Come Drink With Me.

Did anyone order these 2 ang get them (or not) with slip covers? I think I might send them back depending on 

what answers I get. Thank you!

• Like 2