The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

TheFlyingPanda

Martial Club, Hell Yeah! Loving the artwork. I'm also hoping for both audio tracks. 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

88 films recently always seem to add in Cantonese audio later on or if someone questions it :BL-Laughing: Now I just want 88 films to allow me to pre-order all these titles so I can get free delivery!

Edited by BLfan
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

17 hours ago, panzer said:

I always thought the Mandarin mono was just an error on 88's part for the listing on Martial Club, but now I'm worried it's gonna be just Mandarin with no Cantonese. Really hope this isn't the case.

EDIT: 88 Films have confirmed in the comments of the Insta post for the art reveal that Cantonese audio will be included.

unknown.png

That's me asking the question. You gotta do what you gotta do 😎

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DiP said:

That's me asking the question. You gotta do what you gotta do 😎

They are including both audio tracks 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

A little concerned I don't see a Cantonese track, since I think that's the original language. In the Cantonese track, all of the characters speak Cantonese except Johnny Wang who speaks Mandarin, establishing that he is not from that area and leading to some of the misunderstandings in the plot. Hoping this is just missing from the above list.

EDIT: Also, please someone correct me if this isn't correct. I'm not a Cantonese/Mandarin speaker, but this is just my understanding.

From memory but again maybe wrong, Think the Tokyo shock dvd came with Cantonese, which I shifted in favour of this so hope it’s a mistake..

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

There's a review up for the HUMAN LANTERNS Blu-ray at bluray.com.  https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Human-Lanterns-Blu-ray/310582/#Review

Reviewer Jeffrey Kauffman likes the movie, but I take exception with a few things he wrote. He states that one character "...comes off almost as the ancient Japanese equivalent of The Phantom of the Opera, at least insofar as he's kind of surprisingly sympathetic even when he's abducting women and taking them to his cavernous lair." Actually, he's Chinese, not Japanese. And, I don't think he's sympathetic at all; quite the opposite. In fact, I'd opine that he's a sick, vicious monster! It appears Mr. Kauffman isn't overly familiar with Hong Kong cinema either as he states "Dialogue is rendered cleanly and clearly throughout, though it certainly seems like at least some actors were post looped, and so "sync can be loose", as they say." In fact, as most hardcore HK cinema fans are aware, every actor in the film was dubbed in post production. He also mentions "Human Lanterns does show a few variances in brightness and grain resolution but is on the whole a really gorgeous looking transfer, especially with regard to an almost luminous palette which offers some absolutely vivid reds and purples in particular." As there's no mention on the packaging, I can't blame him for not knowing that a few inserts from a different print source were utilized to replace brief bits of missing footage in order to create the uncut presentation of the movie. Also, he only gives the release a 3 out of 5 for special features which I take issue with. The extras include a full-length audio commentary by Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast on Fire Network, the original trailer, and interviews with three cast members, one of which is 51 minutes long! (He gave a similar rating to the extras-rich Arrow release of COME DRINK WITH ME.) Perhaps he doesn't realize how rare and wonderful these talks with Hong Kong stars are, but I am thrilled with the extras (the release also includes a booklet, double-sided poster. and slipcover). Yes, full disclosure- I did the cover art. But I'm talking as a fan here, not an employee of 88 Films (I'm not "on the payroll" BTW, I'm hired as a freelancer). Anyway, I've always been a fan of the film, am very happy with this kick ass Blu, and hope that underwhelming review won't put fans off purchasing it. Just wanted to add my two cents about it. :nerd:

• Like 14
  • Buddha Bless You 2

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Perhaps he doesn't realize how rare and wonderful these talks with Hong Kong stars are,

The West is kept pretty much in the dark, about these Hong Kong flicks. My best guess is, lack of exposure and therefore lack of knowledge?

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
3 hours ago, Jochem said:

The West is kept pretty much in the dark, about these Hong Kong flicks. My best guess is, lack of exposure and therefore lack of knowledge?

Wrong. Sure, it is not served up on a silver platter, you gotta go look for it yourself. And being a fan since '85 and doing research, reviews etc. for about 15-20 years, I will admit that the burden of acquiring info on HK cinema is fully on you. But if you put in the work, it's there... no one's being kept in the dark. 

With that said, I don't expect some rando reviewer from Bluray.com to know jack shit about the genre. But I don't think it's a big ask to at least school yourself on just the very minimal basics of what you are reviewing. Just the broad strokes. Still mixing up Chinese and Japanese in 2022 is motherfucking pathetic. Even for a guy who clearly knows nothing about the subject of his review and is merely talking out of his ass, that's still such a low bar.

97% of online reviewing is pure shit, just utter ill-informed, uneducated garbage that serves no purpose other than taking up cyberspace. And that's unfortunate. I'm not looking for a highbrow, scholarly dissertation from every film review, but at least get the basics right for the more casual readers who doesn't know any better. KungFuBob's example here made me wanna punch this guy in the cock and slap his momma for such a shitty review, though I am now a man of peace, and will not be pursuing such acts of violence. But seriously, online reviewers out there... get your fucking shit together, it's embarrassing.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
24 minutes ago, Kevin Chan said:

Harshly formulated, but I do agree with your opinion.

I'm nothing if not harsh and opinionated :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jochem said:

Yeah, he didn’t put enough Kung-Fu into his research 

And for that, he must do the horse position for three hours!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, chen lung said:

By the way, we did look into an English dub for the film. The only clue of its potential existence is an Australian classification from 1984.

I remember when the celestial DVD came out (around 2004 I think) there was a lot of debate over whether a dub ever existed for this. I hadn’t ever seen the movie at that point and it quickly became one of my favorites and every time it’s released I cross my fingers that a dub has been discovered. I appreciate that you guys looked into it. Hopefully if it actually exists it will turn up someday. 

• Like 4

ShawAngela
19 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

As there's no mention on the packaging, I can't blame him for not knowing that a few inserts from a different print source were utilized to replace brief bits of missing footage in order to create the uncut presentation of the movie.

So, it means that the IVL dvd is cut ?

• Like 2

FightingFool
11 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

So, it means that the IVL dvd is cut ?

Yes, it is most shredded human lanters dvd. But it has some footage not available in other dvd releases.

• Like 4

sifu iron perm
On 5/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Wrong. Sure, it is not served up on a silver platter, you gotta go look for it yourself. And being a fan since '85 and doing research, reviews etc. for about 15-20 years, I will admit that the burden of acquiring info on HK cinema is fully on you. But if you put in the work, it's there... no one's being kept in the dark. 

With that said, I don't expect some rando reviewer from Bluray.com to know jack shit about the genre. But I don't think it's a big ask to at least school yourself on just the very minimal basics of what you are reviewing. Just the broad strokes. Still mixing up Chinese and Japanese in 2022 is motherfucking pathetic. Even for a guy who clearly knows nothing about the subject of his review and is merely talking out of his ass, that's still such a low bar.

97% of online reviewing is pure shit, just utter ill-informed, uneducated garbage that serves no purpose other than taking up cyberspace. And that's unfortunate. I'm not looking for a highbrow, scholarly dissertation from every film review, but at least get the basics right for the more casual readers who doesn't know any better. KungFuBob's example here made me wanna punch this guy in the cock and slap his momma for such a shitty review, though I am now a man of peace, and will not be pursuing such acts of violence. But seriously, online reviewers out there... get your fucking shit together, it's embarrassing.

Jesus!! Hahaha! All points are valid!!

• Like 4