The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

7 minutes ago, Ramji said:

HDR makes a big difference.

I have read similar statements a lot recently but I'm not so sure about that. I have an LG OLED A1 and the factory settings made non HDR content look worse than it could just so that HDR made more of an impression. However after playing a bit with the settings the difference was not that big anymore. Standard Blu-rays can look almost as good als HDR UHD Blu-rays on this display.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Ah gotcha. Well, at any rate, you know what I mean — the loss of the therapy scenes is damaging to coherency, and the Japanese version has all the footage, so it’s a no-brainer — both the HK version and the international version have been made obsolete by the availability of the Cyclone Z cut restored in HD, and are now only useful for comparison/curiosity sake IMO.

And whats the deal with the word " cyclone z"?  As a non-expert it is the first time i see a cut getting a name.

• Like 1

Cyclone Z is just what it was named in Japan. Like how Wheels on Meals became Spartan X.

I got into the collecting game a bit late so I missed out on those first pressings of Dragons Forever. This is an easy rebuy for me, especially since it looks like it'll be a hard box.

Edited by panzer
  • Like 5

Chemical Lemon
3 hours ago, Ramji said:

It depends on your set up I think. If you’re a home cinema enthusiast you’ll notice the difference, it’s the closest you’ll get to owning the 35mm print at home if it’s a good disc. But a good blu is still fantastic. HDR makes a big difference.

I think each of our setups and a little of ourselves do play a big part in the experience. Each tv/projector is totally different and then our own abilities abilities and tastes determine whether we even care. 

I got a 55 inch 4K HDR set 4 or 5 years ago when they were cheap enough that you could get one for about $400 on sale. I really like that set and I could see the HDR difference and a little bit of the higher resolution. But for the most part at the distance I was sitting from it a blu ray looked almost as good. 

When we moved 3 years ago I negotiated turning one of the rooms into a movie room with a 4K projector and a 140 ish inch projector screen. Blu rays look excellent, but a properly authored 4K disc looks amazing. There’s a definite trade off with a projector, but there’s a trade off with just about any set.

But my point is at the right size and set 4K makes a big difference. For regular sized sets, I think the benefit is minimal or you have really great eye sight OR you’re WAY TO CLOSE, SIT DOWN ALREADY!

im not a huge Jackie fan (I prefer Sammo and Yuen Biao), but I’m pretty psyched for this disc. I’m interested in comparing to their first disc

• Like 3

7 hours ago, panzer said:

Cyclone Z is just what it was named in Japan. Like how Wheels on Meals became Spartan X.

I got into the collecting game a bit late so I missed out on those first pressings of Dragons Forever. This is an easy rebuy for me, especially since it looks like it'll be a hard box.

Also never heard of spartan x. You mean the the movie itself was called cyclone in japan?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Also never heard of spartan x. You mean the the movie itself was called cyclone in japan?

Yep, CYCLONE Z was the title in Japan. I’d love to know why though.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
12 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Well I can only give my speculative interpretation of the title, which honestly I hope I'm wrong about and that there is a more innocent explanation? My assumption is that the 'Cyclone Z' title relates to the fish being poisoned in Dragons Forever's story, because there was a cyanide-based pesticide (with a very similar trade name) invented between the 2 World Wars called Zyklon B or Cyclone B in English. Zyklon B became infamous after it was used by the Nazi's in gas chambers during the Holocaust. Of course 'B' and 'Z' sound similar, when 'Z' is pronounced as "zee".

Anyone know why Wheels on Meals was under the title 'Spartan X'? I assume it's to do with the Mediterranean connection? Even if Sparta was historically in Greece, both Spain (the setting of Wheels on Meals) and Greece are Mediterranean countries.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I think it's a play on SPARTAN X being the title of the previous 3 dragons film. Which of course begs a different question...

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

It seems MVD’s 4K release of Drive may have been shelved as 88 Films will be putting their Drive 4K out in the US in August.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
On 4/11/2022 at 12:13 AM, wmcguire18 said:

I think it's a play on SPARTAN X being the title of the previous 3 dragons film. Which of course begs a different question...

A play on Project A?

I'm also wondering if the title has something to do with the video game tie-in. When Japanese video games use English titles for the games name, they often seem strange or nonsensical.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It seems MVD’s 4K release of Drive may have been shelved as 88 Films will be putting their Drive 4K out in the US in August.

So if I just want the film on Blu, the MVD edition is fine?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
9 hours ago, wmcguire18 said:

So if I just want the film on Blu, the MVD edition is fine?

I have it and think it's a great little release. Well worth picking up if you want it on Blu Ray only.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, Chemical Lemon said:

Yeah I’ve been sad that celestial lost interest in updating the movies available on streaming services. Granted the volume of new (kung fu/action/horror) movies that have hd transfers but aren’t already available on iTunes is pretty small. I have noticed an uptick in promoting them (via YouTube videos) lately, but it doesn’t appear to be significant. If the new transfers showed up on iTunes I assume it would be under Arrow and not celestial. Not sure if celestial would have to take down their version of it or if they could co-exist. Volume 2 has a couple movies that have never been released on iTunes, possibly there’s a chance those would show up. 
now that we’re getting legit blu ray releases at a decent pace in the US/UK I’m not that bothered by the lack of updates. I’d really like  to set up a Plex server for streaming my blu rays, just requires time and money I don’t have. 

no need to buy a server. I am running plex with my regular PC and a 8TB hard drive. It works just fine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naonysan said:

no need to buy a server. I am running plex with my regular PC and a 8TB hard drive. It works just fine.

Exactly. I bought a mini pc for about $200, and turned it into a nas and stream through Kodi.

Edit:

You can also do the same thing with a raspberry pi and attach an external drive to it.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, venom10463 said:

Exactly. I bought a mini pc for about $200, and turned it into a nas and stream through Kodi.

Edit:

You can also do the same thing with a raspberry pi and attach an external drive to it.

As space becomes an issue,I've considered something like this but wouldn't have a clue where to start 😄

• Like 3

10 hours ago, naonysan said:

I am running plex with my regular PC and a 8TB hard drive. It works just fine.

:thumbsup

A few years back I started going the digital route because of lack of space for physical media. Back then I got the Plex Pass Lifetime subscription (which is still active), I also got the PlayOn lifetime license but I (we) got jiff on the lifetime license.

I do not us plex that often now due to the large mount of digital contents I have amassed thru the years but plex is great when I need it; I have external HDs (backups of backups) for plex streaming when I do watch.

• Like 1

Kitty Claws Style
On 4/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, naonysan said:

for those adding a collection of martial arts movie in plex here I created a poster for it. enjoy

p.jpeg

Link isn't working, would love a copy for my Asian Action collection in Plex.

• Like 1