The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

FightingFool
20 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo version new sealed off eBay and it had the booklet (YES!) but no slip. Did it ever come with one?

it indeed has slip but think it was very limited or perhaps even crowfunding exclusive.88 films 5 element ninjas has also slip saw it for sale here (25€ for slip) but I am not that hardcore collector.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

it indeed has slip but think it was very limited or perhaps even crowfunding exclusive.88 films 5 element ninjas has also slip saw it for sale here (25€ for slip) but I am not that hardcore collector.

I have the rare original limited edition of THE SUPER INFRAMAN from 88, with booklet and the exclusive slipcover only available direct through their website. So glad to have that, as it’s my fave SB film, full stop, and the first one I ever saw too.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

It's mentioned on Rick Baker's Facebook page that Jackie's Police Story and other of his movies will have Mediabook releases from the German company Nameless or a similar name, I won't remember.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It's mentioned on Rick Baker's Facebook page that Jackie's Police Story and other of his movies will have Mediabook releases from the German company Nameless or a similar name, I won't remember.

Yes, Police Story 1 and 2 will be released end of April:

https://www.facebook.com/671127186590611/posts/1622798724756781/

Already sold out from official retailers though. When the presale started a few weeks ago, their shop server was unresponsive for hours. Also the prices are unjustified IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

The CYCLONE Z cut is the extended Japanese cut of the film — the HK theatrical version is senselessly shorn of vital footage (Yuen Biao’s therapy scenes and a later bit at the factory), the absence of which causes serious coherency problems and renders that version useless to me. And now that I have that cut, I need never bother with the HK cut ever again. Same with my beloved long Japanese cut of POLICE STORY — I’ll never watch the senselessly shorn HK theatrical cut of that ever again either. And I’m absolutely ecstatic over the extended hybrid cut of THE MILLIONAIRE’S EXPRESS too — the perfect version of that film.

The Japanese version indeed has the therapy scenes (and would agree that it didn't particularly help to cut them), but the only other key differences are the additional of the pre-ident title card and the different end credits (outtakes play instead with yellow text, etc).

I'm on the fence about 'Police Story'. The Japanese has a few seconds trimmed during the finale, and I think the opening at the police station sags what is to follow (the operation). I broadly prefer the US version without the telephone scene, etc.

• Like 3

FightingFool

sorry for late reply I am so oldskool dun have cameraphone..but here is proof slip for house of traps is alive and existing...

Felt bad saying it without showing but there you go..friend helped with this

IMG_20220409_111425_resized_20220409_111459324.jpg

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

sorry for late reply I am so oldskool dun have cameraphone..but here is proof slip for house of traps is alive and existing...

Felt bad saying it without showing but there you go..friend helped with this

IMG_20220409_111425_resized_20220409_111459324.jpg

I missed the version with the slipcase, but I have this very same picture on the United version of the dvd. It's a very nice one !

• Like 2

FightingFool
14 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I missed the version with the slipcase, but I have this very same picture on the United version of the dvd. It's a very nice one !

I think this 88 slip was very early bird ones...like said I got it later by kinda luck(it was not free but for 28€ shipped with disc included was not bad).I did not like movie first but appreciate bit more on every replay.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

I think this 88 slip was very early bird ones...like said I got it later by kinda luck(it was not free but for 28€ shipped with disc included was not bad).I did not like movie first but appreciate bit more on every replay.

It's one of my favorite Venoms movies, and I love Chin SIu Ho in it. I was made so angry by his fate  in this ! 

• Like 3

FightingFool
17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

It's one of my favorite Venoms movies, and I love Chin SIu Ho in it. I was made so angry by his fate  in this ! 

I dun remember how he kicked the bucket.Should I revisit it soon?

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
4 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

Already sold out from official retailers though. When the presale started a few weeks ago, their shop server was unresponsive for hours. Also the prices are unjustified IMO.

I'm am so frustrated that I missed out on these. Mostly for the covers. As I prefer these to the Eureka ones. Especially the double feature Cover A. Would have loved to have this one. Gonna have to do some searching on eBay.

• Like 2

actionfan93
4 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

besides the covers anything different about these releases?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chen lung said:

The Japanese version indeed has the therapy scenes (and would agree that it didn't particularly help to cut them), but the only other key differences are the additional of the pre-ident title card and the different end credits (outtakes play instead with yellow text, etc).

I'm on the fence about 'Police Story'. The Japanese has a few seconds trimmed during the finale, and I think the opening at the police station sags what is to follow (the operation). I broadly prefer the US version without the telephone scene, etc.

There’s another key difference in the Cyclone Z cut, an additional scene at the factory running over a minute which restores continuity. From the Movie-Censorship site:

76:30 A long cut when entering the factory: Here Jackie's girlfriend gets the new clothes, which she later wears in the export version without explanation. The guard is distracted by pushing the woman out of her cover. Jackie kicks him in the head. 76 Sec 

The HK cut is senselessly slashed, no two ways about it. The cuts are indefensible. Of course, I also feel the cuts to POLICE STORY are indefensible; the opening scene sets up the story properly, introduces the characters properly, sets up character traits and plot points and themes and running gags that figure in later, and doesn’t drag in any way; you’re just used to the film starting with an action scene. And the complete closing scene finishes the story properly, and gives a sense of emotional closure that the incredibly abrupt ending of the HK cut just doesn’t have. The glance exchanged between Ka Kui and Selina outside the mall is vital; their faces speak volumes without any dialogue. The film is a much richer experience in its complete extended form. And the less said about the thoroughly butchered U.S. cut with its generic replacement Kevin Bassinson soundtrack, the better. Yikes. That version is even deader to me than the HK cut.

(EDIT: Chen Lung corrected me; the scene described above is actually in the HK cut of DRAGONS FOREVER. It is missing from the international cut, which does include Yuen Biao’s therapy scenes and is thus preferable to the HK cut, but the Japanese cut includes all the footage and is the most coherent version all ‘round and superior to the others for that reason IMO.)

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

I dun remember how he kicked the bucket.Should I revisit it soon?

You should.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

besides the covers anything different about these releases?

Nothing super special is announced. It will be the first time that both PS1 and PS2 are available with a full german dub but that's about it. The redubbing allegedly is not so good but we will see about that.

PS1 will be the HK version, PS2 will be the JP version, so the same 4k masters used for the Eureka discs. Intl. version of PS1 and HK version of PS2 don't seem to be included (As I said: the price is unjustified). JP opening/closing of PS1 be there, but not the full JP version.

As for the other extras: It is expected that the extras from the older Dragon Edition are included, but nothing new and probably nothing from Eureka.

Source: https://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=18105

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

There’s another key difference in the Cyclone Z cut, an additional scene at the factory running over a minute which restores continuity. From the Movie-Censorship site:

76:30 A long cut when entering the factory: Here Jackie's girlfriend gets the new clothes, which she later wears in the export version without explanation. The guard is distracted by pushing the woman out of her cover. Jackie kicks him in the head. 76 Sec 

That scene is in both the Hong Kong and Japanese versions; only the export version cut it.

The article you cite is a comparison between the Japanese and English versions.

• Like 2

FightingFool
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

You should.

hmm..ok I try tonight but have german br of deadly angels in player now that 1st,

• Like 1

Is 4k basically just an improved picture? I watch movies on a ps4 and don't have an expensive tv, would there be a big improvement or do you need the full set up to notice the difference? I have the Dragons Forever first release from 88 Films but as much as I love the movie I can't see me buying it again.

• Like 2

If you haven't got a 4K tv & player you'll see no difference. I'm 4k enabled and while it's better,blu to 4k is not the big leap DVD to blu was imo.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, saltysam said:

If you haven't got a 4K tv & player you'll see no difference. I'm 4k enabled and while it's better,blu to 4k is not the big leap DVD to blu was imo.

Every leap in tech is exponentially smaller than the one before. DVD felt like a revolution, Blu Ray felt like a refinement, UHD feels like a waste, tbh.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 hours ago, chen lung said:

That scene is in both the Hong Kong and Japanese versions; only the export version cut it.

The article you cite is a comparison between the Japanese and English versions.

Ah gotcha. Well, at any rate, you know what I mean — the loss of the therapy scenes is damaging to coherency, and the Japanese version has all the footage, so it’s a no-brainer — both the HK version and the international version have been made obsolete by the availability of the Cyclone Z cut restored in HD, and are now only useful for comparison/curiosity sake IMO.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm happy with blu ray and can't see me upgrading my set up for a while so i'll skip the 4k for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Ah gotcha. Well, at any rate, you know what I mean — the loss of the therapy scenes is damaging to coherency, and the Japanese version has all the footage, so it’s a no-brainer — both the HK version and the international version have been made obsolete by the availability of the Cyclone Z cut restored in HD, and are now only useful for comparison/curiosity sake IMO.

I first saw the film via the international version, so I have a soft spot for it.

Obviously the Japanese one doesn't have is the full shot at the end, but it's not essential, I suppose.

For what it's worth, I don't watch the Hong Kong one nowadays (similar reasons), but I think its inclusion is fair because it was issued in that territory as such, and people will have been used to it for years (unless they had Japanese media).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wmcguire18 said:

Every leap in tech is exponentially smaller than the one before. DVD felt like a revolution, Blu Ray felt like a refinement, UHD feels like a waste, tbh.

It depends on your set up I think. If you’re a home cinema enthusiast you’ll notice the difference, it’s the closest you’ll get to owning the 35mm print at home if it’s a good disc. But a good blu is still fantastic. HDR makes a big difference.

• Like 3