The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

legendarycurry
13 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I actually rank 'Tiger Cage' and 'Tiger Cage 3' over the 2nd starring vehicle for Donnie Yen.  Too much grating comedy, compared to the gritty crime feel the 1st and 3rd entries come with, but none of them deserve less than 7/10 for sure. There are plenty of opinions on the trilogy in this thread - 

Fair enough, I can see how someone might prefer the first and third film over the second one. I had a look at that thread and it was a fun read, I hope more people will give the other Tiger Cage films besides part 2 more of a chance come the new Blurays. The thread mentioned Red Wolf and well;  don't tell anyone,  but I like Red Wolf more than Tiger Cage 3  :) I just think Elaine Lui is brilliantly sinister in it, Cho Wing and Ngai Sing put in work, and Christy Chung is charming. Also Kenny Ho saying "Happy new year to you too" is so silly it becomes badass. Bonus points for an appearance by Bobby Samuels too. But I digress.

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Bonus points for an appearance by Bobby Samuels too.

I feel like Bobby Samuels has had a latter career resurgence as the arch-nemesis for Eureka! Entertainment, since he constantly posts on social media the titles he's involved in that they'll be releasing, often weeks before they make an official announcement themselves.:tongueout

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, FightingFool said:

I wish it`s not a boxset. Want just part#2, haven`t seen 3rd but seems reputation is not that good. 1st is not bad movie but Donnie is underused and it`s type of flick don`t necessary need to see third time ever.

Hopefully 88 Films will give us a choice of a boxset or the individual films like they did with American Ninja, I only bought the first 2 of those. I'd only pick up part 2 of the Tiger Cage movies too & i'd have to skip the boxset if that's all there is available as i'm not a fan of 1 or 3 and probably would never watch them.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
43 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Is Sure Fire part of tiger cage or In line of duty series?

Alternate title for Tiger Cage 1.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Righting wrongs is definitely coming from 88films someone asked on their Facebook page and they said it’s definitely coming, awesome news cannot wait for their release will be epic 

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Gung Fu Movie Guy
4 hours ago, Graysman said:

Righting wrongs is definitely coming from 88films someone asked on their Facebook page and they said it’s definitely coming, awesome news cannot wait for their release will be epic 

88 Films now have a picture up from 'Righting Wrongs' on their home page. It's Definitely coming. Can't wait. All time classic.3_800x.jpg

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Master with OK Fingers
37 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

5nrJeTr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Looks like it's going to be the 51st time I'm buying this classic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FightingFool
9 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

oh boy. Here I am ready to be milked again

Good for you. I am done, snatched 1st 88 BR release(haven`t even put br1 to player, everything I want from this movie is on br2..cyclone cut is just so amazing, best chan movie set on present day.,,if they do new scan of Dragon Fist I do not donate just cow but whole farm as long as kinda reasonable funds are in question..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FightingFool

How limited was slip for "house of traps"?I have it but did not buy br from 88 store...I was not into upgrade frenzy when it was released, bought it later from local seller..

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Wow sounds like this one is being released in the US also

Even if not, I highly doubt they will add their name to the list of rare UHD releases with region lock.

Edited by lilmanjs
  • Like 3

Chemical Lemon
3 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Even if not, I highly doubt they will ad their name to the list of rare UHD releases with region lock.

Ha!  Good point. It’s definitely easier for me to order this in the US though. With shipping so screwed up these days that’s what matters to me. At this point I think I have more region B blus than A

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Looks like it's going to be the 51st time I'm buying this classic!

How many times do they want to rererelease this movie :D

definitive buy for me though 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

5nrJeTr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Will that be a deluxe edition like young master and aog?

1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

Good for you. I am done, snatched 1st 88 BR release(haven`t even put br1 to player, everything I want from this movie is on br2..cyclone cut is just so amazing, best chan movie set on present day.,,if they do new scan of Dragon Fist I do not donate just cow but whole farm as long as kinda reasonable funds are in question..

Whats so special about the cyclone cut?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Wow sounds like this one is being released in the US also

And this was with Miramax in the US. So it is good news that their rights are finally expiring. Hope they lose Police Story 3 sooner rather than later.

Edited by dwk
  • Like 3

actionfan93
5 minutes ago, dwk said:

And this was with Miramax in the US. So it is good news that their rights are finally expiring. Hope they lose [b]Police Story 3[/b] sooner rather than later.

that is rumored to be coming this year and on a second note I wonder how many chan and other films will get the 4K treatment

I am going to double dip Dragons Forever is too good to not to get the 4k

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

I would be nice is companies announced a Blu Ray and a 4K around the same time. Even if the 4K is further out than the Blu Ray.

I don’t see myself picking Dragons Forever up on 4K after it feels like I only recently bought the Blu Ray. It just feels like a waste.

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I would be nice is companies announced a Blu Ray and a 4K around the same time. Even if the 4K is further out than the Blu Ray.

I don’t see myself picking Dragons Forever up on 4K after it feels like I only recently bought the Blu Ray. It just feels like a waste.

I agree, it would have been nice of them to announce all options at the same time. I will give them the benefit of the doubt though and say that they didn't know at the time that they were going to release these. Or the probable 4k steelbook coming Jan 23! Lol. But either way, it's JC, SH & YB In one of their best films in glorious 4k. I MUST HAVE IT. 

• Like 5

FightingFool
7 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Will that be a deluxe edition like young master and aog?

I have to rely on (sometimes bad) memory but think it has footage of Yuen Biao not featured in other versions. Someone may correct me if needed about that.

• Like 3

On 4/9/2022 at 7:15 AM, FightingFool said:

How limited was slip for "house of traps"?I have it but did not buy br from 88 store...I was not into upgrade frenzy when it was released, bought it later from local seller..

I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo version new sealed off eBay and it had the booklet (YES!) but no slip. Did it ever come with one?

On 4/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, AslanBey said:

The CYCLONE Z cut is the extended Japanese cut of the film — the HK theatrical version is senselessly shorn of vital footage (Yuen Biao’s therapy scenes and a later bit at the factory), the absence of which causes serious coherency problems and renders that version useless to me. And now that I have that cut, I need never bother with the HK cut ever again. Same with my beloved long Japanese cut of POLICE STORY — I’ll never watch the senselessly shorn HK theatrical cut of that ever again either. And I’m absolutely ecstatic over the extended hybrid cut of THE MILLIONAIRE’S EXPRESS too — the perfect version of that film.

• Like 9