The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

19 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Does anyone know if the transfers of the Shaw Brothers films on Apple TV are essentially the same as the ones released by 88 and Arrow Video? 

I think the Jackie films they've released where it says from a new 2K transfer etc might be different but was hoping the Shaw Brothers ones are just the same.

Decided a few years ago to sell my collection of I think 2 to 3 thousand DVDs and blu rays but would like to still have some of the old kung fu classics to watch and Apple TV has a great selection that looks to be all the ones 88 have released and will release.

Yes, most of the Shaw Brothers films all use the same older HD transfers, except for a few of the films in the recent Arrow Shawscope set, which Arrow had new transfers done for:

"King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Dirty Ho and the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid have all been newly restored by Arrow Films in 2021, in collaboration with L'Immagine Ritrovata, Hong Kong Film Archive and Celestial Pictures."

• Like 6

Graeme Of Death
4 hours ago, Ronin said:

Yes, most of the Shaw Brothers films all use the same older HD transfers, except for a few of the films in the recent Arrow Shawscope set, which Arrow had new transfers done for:

"King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Dirty Ho and the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid have all been newly restored by Arrow Films in 2021, in collaboration with L'Immagine Ritrovata, Hong Kong Film Archive and Celestial Pictures."

Didn't realise Arrow had re-done a few. Hopefully they'll get them added to Apple TV eventually as well as most of their other releases are available.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Didn't realise Arrow had re-done a few. Hopefully they'll get them added to Apple TV eventually as well as most of their other releases are available.

The new transfers look fantastic and do not suffer from the frame cuts that the older Celestial HD transfers suffered from. I doubt these new transfers will ever show up on iTunes/Amazon/etc. as that would require Celestial to update the existing digital/streaming versions, and they seem to have lost interest in that marketplace in the US.

• Like 6

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, Ronin said:

The new transfers look fantastic and do not suffer from the frame cuts that the older Celestial HD transfers suffered from. I doubt these new transfers will ever show up on iTunes/Amazon/etc. as that would require Celestial to update the existing digital/streaming versions, and they seem to have lost interest in that marketplace in the US.

Yeah I’ve been sad that celestial lost interest in updating the movies available on streaming services. Granted the volume of new (kung fu/action/horror) movies that have hd transfers but aren’t already available on iTunes is pretty small. I have noticed an uptick in promoting them (via YouTube videos) lately, but it doesn’t appear to be significant. If the new transfers showed up on iTunes I assume it would be under Arrow and not celestial. Not sure if celestial would have to take down their version of it or if they could co-exist. Volume 2 has a couple movies that have never been released on iTunes, possibly there’s a chance those would show up. 
now that we’re getting legit blu ray releases at a decent pace in the US/UK I’m not that bothered by the lack of updates. I’d really like  to set up a Plex server for streaming my blu rays, just requires time and money I don’t have. 

• Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 6:01 AM, Drunksnake said:

By hybrid cut, you mean the "Bentley cut" lol. He's the one who can perform this type of witchcraft.

Brandon Bentley just hinted on a different forum that he was working on a hybrid cut for Righting Wrongs, similar to the one done for The Millionaires Express.

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Graeme Of Death
4 hours ago, Ronin said:

I'm in the UK and Apple TV has most of the Arrow video and 88 Films releases including the new version of their Jackie releases. Any time Arrow have upgraded their releases to 4k versions etc they've been added to Apple TV so here's hoping the same happens with the Shaw Brothers ones.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Brandon Bentley just hinted on a different forum that he was working on a hybrid cut for Righting Wrongs, similar to the one done for The Millionaires Express.

Should be interesting.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ronin said:

Yes, most of the Shaw Brothers films all use the same older HD transfers

"

Darn, did not think about that. May need to reconsider do want to upgrade those which already own as r1(shaolin mantis among some other titles in 88 pipeline have good dvds).Now have to consider more careful what to upgrade as more moneypits  with eureka! and arrow releasing asian stuff.and 88 has interesting movies besides Shaws.

Was TVP planning to release Monkey Kung Fu?I think saw post about it somewhere but can be remember wrong. That would likely be without framecuts..

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

Was TVP planning to release Monkey Kung Fu?I think saw post about it somewhere but can be remember wrong.

It was mentioned here a year ago -

• Like 4

I think all remastered releases of ‘Monkey Kung Fu’ will be the same master. 88’s release contains newly translated subtitles that are based on the Cantonese soundtrack, however.

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 3

If anyone in the US hasn't picked up the 88 Shaw films yet, Best Buy is having a sale today where if you buy 2 or more titles, they are 20% off. Includes the March pre-orders. Knocks them down to $15.99 (+ tax).

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

20 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

99-C4-EB29-77-CE-41-CA-8221-E8789-FE4-AB

Never seen this before, is it good? The artwork looks killer already!

Edited by Kevin Chan
  • Like 6

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

Yes, it's a crazy good time. And yeah, that artwork is very cool.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

One of my favorite Lam Nam-Choi films and a perfect halloween movie if you ask me.

Agreed about the artwork, it couldn't have been better. 

• Like 6

Folks should be getting their sets any day now as 88Films have started shipping BLACK CAT out.

The set looks fantastic with its glossy rigid box and fantastic thick booklet along with art cards and poster. Extra features are plenty and should keep you busy for a while, let’s hope the sequel gets a release too.

274647848_5553756547972121_5542755100206274524993_5553756817972094_6962326857596274367339_5553756917972084_5001411185132274586763_5553756961305413_6080441968397274479266_5553756657972110_4450092578109274477653_5553756564638786_8700268483493274627253_5553756834638759_2316653671868274171093_5553756684638774_5810508043536

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Brilliant film with Yuen Biao in fine form. There's some great choreography from Corey Yuen but there is liberal use of wires throughout, as we saw with most of his 90's work, Fong Sai Yuk etc. Definite thumbs up from me. Plus it's a modern shaw!

Edited by Ramji
  • Like 5

Not to be confused with HERO (2002) starring Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, and Donnie Yen. That’s the one I have. I hadn’t actually heard of the 1997 film! Really looking forward to it now.

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers
1 hour ago, Asmo said:

I haven't seen Hero in years, but does that art ever make me feel like giving it a rewatch! 

Couldn't agree more. looking forward to this and @KUNG FU BOB has knocked it out of the park again with this one!

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

So…I hear 88 is teasing a 3D release…MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS, anyone?

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1