The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

• Administrator
20 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I'm alittle lost here? You're accusing me of  making fun of things. So admiring one artwork is such a bad thing? I don't know why are you're starting an argument that i havent done anything wrong but clearly  i meant no disrespect.  But clearly i'm going to see myself off the group because i'm not going to deal with being mistreated. Maybe next time you should learn to read before you go about pointing fingers at me and accussing me of trying to be insulting to you.

Good day sir and best of luck.  Clearly you'ev shown me and proved that the rumours are true that you and the others talk abunch of smack about me behind my back.  I never want to hear from you again since to you and the other people i'm crazy. Okay don't fuck with a crazy people then.

Asshole!

Whoa, what just happened? :ooh: shocked ron burgundy GIF

19 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Whoa. I think because you said “Besides Mark”, he thought you meant you didn’t think the artwork captured Mark’s likeness very well, and was curious about what you didn’t like about the art’s representation of Mark — it didn’t seem to me like he was having a go at you at all, but, like he said, is just curious about what you thought was off.

Yup, exactly what @WaverBoy said.

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think you misread @KUNG FU BOB's tone pretty severely. You stated the cover didn't capture Mark Dacascos' likeness and Bob literally asked why. He even explicitly said that he wasn't trying to be argumentative. Bob is an artist so it's only natural he would inquire as to what makes good and bad art. I think your accusations were rather hasty.

And just to reiterate, I am also not being argumentative. Just stating that you may have read the entire situation incorrectly. I won't pretend to know anything about the "behind my back" comment. I'm not privy to that kind of things but I promise you, Bob was not trying to attack you in any way, shape or form.

Thanks @Drunken Monk, you're right.

18 hours ago, Red Lion said:

I was wracking my brain for a film called point of no return qnd realised you were talking about the american remake. Iv always known it as The Assassin and didnt know there were alternative titles. And yeah the assassin is shite, la femme nikita and black cat however are not. Havent seen black cat since the made in hong kong vhs back in the day. Although think the wife may have a raised eyebrow if she sees me watching jade leung in the black cat. She always seems to have the knack of walking into the room whilst the dodgiest scene in whatever film im watching is on screen. Think ill just need to pass on this. Lol.

Yes, but as someone mentioned previously, there is also a lesser-known Sammo Hung film called TOUCH AND GO, aka. POINT OF NO RETURN from 1991.

And just to make things even more confusing, there's a Hong Kong film called POINT OF NO RETURN (1990) starring Jacky Cheung and Joey Wong. https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=7308&display_set=eng .

One called THE POINT OF NO RETURN (2000) starring Ray Liu and Diana Pang https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=8892&display_set=eng .

Another HK flick POINT OF NO RETURN (2002) starring Jackie Liu and Astrid Chan. https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10136&display_set=eng

And... lets not forget THE NEW OPTION- THE FINAL SHOWDOWN (2003) which was released in the US as THE NEW OPTION- POINT OF NO RETURN https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=12170&display_set=eng !!! :tongue: It's madness!

Same here! :rofl Girlfriends from the past and my wife all seem to have a built-in-radar that alerts them when I'm watching something seedy, and they enter the room at the most inappropriate moments in the film. Thankfully my wife is ultra cool and doesn't sweat that kind of stuff. She'll just rib me about it. But seriously, it could be 99.9% martial arts action, then one second of a strip-club scene pops up and she walks in just then. :xd:

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't read anything looking like an insult nor an argument in @KUNG FU BOB's post, and I don' t even know if it's him who drew the cover you are talking about, but it's a fact that YOU are very vindicative and insulting, and his post really doesn't deserve such a so bad attack, in my opinion...

Surely a misread of what he said, as someone pointed out in a previous post...

You're correct @ShawAngela, that's not my work being discussed and thanks for being supportive.

@ZenkaigerBat yes, you are a "little lost" here (your words brother) and completely misinterpreted what I said. :lipssealed

I was light-heartedly asking if you were kidding because I was surprised at what you'd said.

I didn't say anything even vaguely along the lines of you admiring the art being a bad thing, nor that you did anything wrong or were disrespectful. Nor did I mistreat you by asking you to clarify your opinion as I was interested in your thoughts (asked with respect and in line with discussion on this forum). Like you, I admire the DRIVE artwork created by artist Sam Gilbey, but you seemed to be saying you thought the likeness of Mark Dacascas was off. I think the artist nailed it and was curious why you didn't think so. That's the whole thing. That's all that happened. Your statement "Maybe next time you should learn to read before you go about pointing fingers at me and accussing me of trying to be insulting to you." would make more sense if it was written by me to respond to what you wrote above.

It's unfortunate that you think you are being talked about in a negative way, but I've never said a single thing about you nor has anyone ever said anything to me about you. Not once. Here's everything I know about you and the extent of my communication with or about you: I know you as an active and enthusiastic forum member here and at another forum. I feel like you've always been very kind towards me and I believe I've quoted and responded to some of your posts to respond by answering questions, agreeing, and or sharing info. I've never thought a single thing negative about you.

Please don't make personal attacks/curse/name-call on/at other forum members. It's against the rules and never helps anything, only leading to big fights and ridiculous drama. I've heard worse directed my way and see that it was all just a misunderstanding, so no offense taken on my part. :wink: As far as I'm concerned, it's over. Lets digitally shake hands, forget the whole thing and move on. Yeah? Lets not waste our time dwelling on negative stuff; we've got so much cool stuff to talk about here. :bigsmile:

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Just got back from work and found this last part of the thread and in truth am utterly bewildered by it...

And whilst the very patient and measured response from @KUNG FU BOB already speaks volumes to this,

I'd just like to add personally that Bob is, without a doubt, one of the kindest, most humble and all round nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with, about as far from being an 'Asshole' as it's possible to be, we've spoken at length many, many times and I consider him a valued friend.

Nobody likes seeing their friends attacked or slandered, especially not for doing and saying NOTHING wrong at all.

Conversation and discussion is a vital part of the forums here and we naturally won't always like the same things in the same ways, Art is especially subjective, difference of opinion is entirely fine, calling someone names for no reason whatsoever

however, is unacceptable.

There are few on here who contribute their time, encouragement and appreciation to others posts as freely as Bob does.

Johnny / The Fanatical Dragon

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 2

15 hours ago, Graysman said:

Onto another topic then, Righting Wrongs looking a dead cert For a 88 films release? I hear Cynthia Rothrock Done a Interview for the film.

For sure it's coming:

FLVb_CHVcAE9Mo3.jpg

Coming with both endings: 

4f4862e6eb903ce76693d017a8eb5a0c.png

Edited by nahnahnah
  • Like 11

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

Just got back from work and found this last part of the thread and in truth am utterly bewildered by it...

And whilst the very patient and measured response from @KUNG FU BOB already speaks volumes to this'''

@LiuYiLong (Johnny) thanks for saying all that. You're way too kind! I'm not nearly as nice as you think. In fact, I just finished burying my neighbor (alive. I'm not a killer!) just because I wanted his dog to pay more attention to me instead of him. I've also been known to spread rumors of fake floods just so I can get a better parking space, so... :angel:

Anyway, it was only a misunderstanding. No harm done. @ZenkaigerBat is still a welcome forum member here.

30 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

For sure it's coming:

FLVb_CHVcAE9Mo3.jpg

Coming with both endings: 

4f4862e6eb903ce76693d017a8eb5a0c.png

I've actually read recently- sadly I can't recall who provided the information- that there are even more than the two well-known versions of the film! If someone is indeed releasing this I hope that we'll get to see these other versions too, or at least some deleted scenes.

• Like 8

Being a fellow Philly guy I'm sure you've heard worse walking down the street @KUNG FU BOB :xd:

Also I'm loving the cover art for "Half A loaf of Kung Fu" !! That's a rare Jackie Chan film I've never had a chance to see, so I'm looking forward to some silliness later this year!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Same here! :rofl Girlfriends from the past and my wife all seem to have a built-in-radar that alerts them when I'm watching something seedy, and they enter the room at the most inappropriate moments in the film. Thankfully my wife is ultra cool and doesn't sweat that kind of stuff. She'll just rib me about it. But seriously, it could be 99.9% martial arts action, then one second of a strip-club scene pops up and she walks in just then. :xd:

'I'm just doing a spot of research as inspiration for my new artwork, dear!'

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've actually read recently- sadly I can't recall who provided the information- that there are even more than the two well-known versions of the film! If someone is indeed releasing this I hope that we'll get to see these other versions too, or at least some deleted scenes.

According to https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=654168:

There are three main versions, each with exclusive scenes as well as cuts, and no version that contains ALL of the material.

The version, originally made in English for export, was then further cut in some countries after the fact. In short summary:

1. Hong Kong version - 93 min PAL / 97 min NTSC
With

Spoiler

"hard ending" (Yuen Biao dies)

and a few action scenes missing in all other versions.
-> Has been remastered by Fortune Star and is therefore widely available. Included on various Hong Kong DVDs, the US DVD and French DVD, and the Hong Kong Blu-ray (upscale).

2. Mandarin version - 94 min PAL [would be equivalent to 98 min in NTSC].
Shorter than the Hong Kong version by spikes of violence, action scenes, and quite a few mini-cuts - but again contains its own additional action scenes. There is also a longer,

Spoiler

"harmless ending" (Yuen Biao is rescued and tried in court).

-> The only known release is the old Universe DVD from Hong Kong (Side B of the Flipper disc).

3. Export version - 87 min PAL [would correspond to 91 min in NTSC].
Basically based on the Mandarin version (= the editing is based on the missing/additional scenes there and shows the

Spoiler

"harmless ending")

. Beyond that, however, streamlined by 8.5 minutes of plot. Also noticeable are English credits and inserts.
-> Included on the DVD from South Africa and template for the versions now mentioned as sub-items (a) and (b).

• Like 5

I just remembered that there will be three versions included in this set due to this picture posted by 88 themselves a couple months back:

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22.46.00.png

Edited by nahnahnah
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

I just remembered that there will be three versions included in this set due to this picture posted by 88 themselves a couple months back:

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22.46.00.png

Those could be the original Hong Kong cut, the Mandarin cut (with additional scenes and an alternate ending), and the export cut (also with an alternate ending).

• Like 6

I had no idea the Mandarin version contained important footage missing from the HK cut. I think 88 really needs to do a hybrid cut like Eureka did with MILLIONAIRE’S EXPRESS and incorporate all the additional footage except for the alternate ending stuff. That would be fantastic, and would add considerable value to a RIGHTING WRONGS set.

• Like 7

• Administrator
21 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Ah, I remember now that it was @OldPangYau that told me there were more than just two versions of RIGHTING WRONGS with different endings. :nodding

BTW, lets keep discussion of these various versions spoiler free for those that the film will be new to. :wink If you want to say something "spoilery" simply highlight the appropriate text after you type it, and click the EYE icon in the toolbar above your text window and it will put it in a hidden spoiler mode (as @Omni Dragon was thoughtful enough to do above).

20 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Being a fellow Philly guy I'm sure you've heard worse walking down the street @KUNG FU BOB :xd:

Also I'm loving the cover art for "Half A loaf of Kung Fu" !! That's a rare Jackie Chan film I've never had a chance to see, so I'm looking forward to some silliness later this year!

Definitely @BigDruDogg! :tongue: It may be nick-named "The City of Brotherly Love", but keep in mind that siblings are often quite cruel to one another. :xd:

Full disclosure though for those that have never been to Philadelphia... Like most cites it has its good and its bad and everything in between. Yeah, I've encountered some scum-of-the-earth types, but also some of the coolest, kindest, talented, most angelic people there too. :wink:

20 hours ago, chen lung said:

'I'm just doing a spot of research as inspiration for my new artwork, dear!'

Exactly! Just another Cat. III for which I have to refresh my memory. :angel:

19 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Thanks for that info. :nerd:

2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I had no idea the Mandarin version contained important footage missing from the HK cut. I think 88 really needs to do a hybrid cut like Eureka did with MILLIONAIRE’S EXPRESS and incorporate all the additional footage except for the alternate ending stuff. That would be fantastic, and would add considerable value to a RIGHTING WRONGS set.

Great idea/dream/wish. I second that! :nodding

• Like 6

4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

That will be very hard to accomplish because the additional scenes were specifically dubbed in Mandarin, so I doubt these scenes were ever dubbed in Cantonese. Maybe someone can shed some more light into this matter.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DiP said:

That will be very hard to accomplish because the additional scenes were specifically dubbed in Mandarin, so I doubt these scenes were ever dubbed in Cantonese. Maybe someone can shed some more light into this matter.

No problem, because we’ve had English dub tracks on these new Blus that switch to Cantonese for the bits with no English, so we can have a Cantonese track that switches to Mandarin for the bits with no Cantonese. It would be more than worth it to have all that footage present and correct. Please please PLEASE, 88 Films, give us that hybrid cut!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

No problem, because we’ve had English dub tracks on these new Blus that switch to Cantonese for the bits with no English, so we can have a Cantonese track that switches to Mandarin for the bits with no Cantonese. It would be more than worth it to have all that footage present and correct. Please please PLEASE, 88 Films, give us that hybrid cut!

Realistically, as long as there's a note/disclaimer that some scenes in such a hybrid cut would be in Mandarin and/or English it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Asmo said:

Realistically, as long as there's a note/disclaimer that some scenes in such a hybrid cut would be in Mandarin and/or English it shouldn't be an issue.

Exactamundo.

• Like 3

Master with OK Fingers

Righting Wrongs or Above the Law as I knew it growing up is one of my all time favourites. I would absolutely love all those cuts but above all else. Yes you guessed, I need that glorious original Eng dub in there for the export cut. It makes the film's for me and has gives me such a "perfectly performed Yuen Biao" nostalgia kick 😀

• Like 8

12 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

By hybrid cut, you mean the "Bentley cut" lol. He's the one who can perform this type of witchcraft.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Righting Wrongs or Above the Law as I knew it growing up is one of my all time favourites. I would absolutely love all those cuts but above all else. Yes you guessed, I need that glorious original Eng dub in there for the export cut. It makes the film's for me and has gives me such a "perfectly performed Yuen Biao" nostalgia kick 😀

Your enthusiasm for the original dubs is spreading. I'll always prefer the original language myself. There are certain movies that I'll always watch in the original language but lately I've been very much enjoying some English dubs particularly for the likes of Warriors Two, Iron Fisted Monk and quite a few others.

Prodigal Son, Lucky Stars movies, Eastern Condors and many others need to be original language for me though. Looking forward to some more nostalgia.

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

5 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

By hybrid cut, you mean the "Bentley cut" lol. He's the one who can perform this type of witchcraft.

The Brandonator. He absolutely will not stop…until the reconstruction is perfect.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Graeme Of Death

Does anyone know if the transfers of the Shaw Brothers films on Apple TV are essentially the same as the ones released by 88 and Arrow Video? 

I think the Jackie films they've released where it says from a new 2K transfer etc might be different but was hoping the Shaw Brothers ones are just the same.

Decided a few years ago to sell my collection of I think 2 to 3 thousand DVDs and blu rays but would like to still have some of the old kung fu classics to watch and Apple TV has a great selection that looks to be all the ones 88 have released and will release.

Edited by Graeme Of Death
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Your enthusiasm for the original dubs is spreading. I'll always prefer the original language myself. There are certain movies that I'll always watch in the original language but lately I've been very much enjoying some English dubs particularly for the likes of Warriors Two, Iron Fisted Monk and quite a few others.

Prodigal Son, Lucky Stars movies, Eastern Condors and many others need to be original language for me though. Looking forward to some more nostalgia.

I personally am of the impression that if you fell in love with something you want it to be like you remember it.. So for instance, I grew up watching most Shaw Bros films dubbed in English, so I always prefer watching them Dubbed..

Going back and watching the Original language gives you a better feel to how the movie was intended and conveys better acted emotions, and can even change the feeling of the film.. but if I grew up/fell in love with it a certain way.. then I'll always prefer it that way :wink That's why it's always great to have both options available!!

• Like 9

I like how in the original English dub of Righting Wrongs, Cynthia Rothrock tells Yuen Biao that Melvin Wong is probably heading to his private plane. It's never mentioned in the newer Fortune Star dub or the subtitles I've personally read. I know it's a minor thing but It makes going to the plane hangar for Rothrock and Yuen seem slightly less random.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

7 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I like how in the original English dub of Righting Wrongs, Cynthia Rothrock tells Yuen Biao that Melvin Wong is probably heading to his private plane. It's never mentioned in the newer Fortune Star dub or the subtitles I've personally read. I know it's a minor thing but It makes going to the plane hangar for Rothrock and Yuen seem slightly less random.

Maybe they can sort that bit in the subtitles this time!

Kung Fu Bob sir, I can’t recall if it’s been mentioned—will you be doing the artwork for RIGHTING WRONGS?

• Like 5