The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, Ramji said:

Yo! What’s up, been a long time. So I’m umming and ahing over the upcoming Black Cat release. Obviously in an ideal world I would pick up everything but money is tight and there’s so much coming up I might have to prioritise a little. I’ve never seen it but it kinda looks a bit cheap and not particularly exciting? No great action/stunts etc. Am I in the wrong?

Here's my review from September.

• Like 4

Thanks! Saved me a purchase. I love 88 films but I’m not sure why they felt the need to give this the deluxe treatment. Maybe they were worried no one would buy without the extras. Maybe I’ll check out the standard release in a future sale or something.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ramji said:

Thanks! Saved me a purchase. I love 88 films but I’m not sure why they felt the need to give this the deluxe treatment. Maybe they were worried no one would buy without the extras. Maybe I’ll check out the standard release in a future sale or something.

I think it's basically a label to differentiate from the standard one (which doesn't come with the external goodies).

Anyway, you won't know whether you like the film until you watch it; if you don't, I'm sure someone will gladly take the Deluxe one off you. :wink

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Ramji said:

That’s the only negative review I’ve come across for BLACK CAT, one of my all-time fave HK action thrillers, and one which absolutely merits a deluxe treatment. Don’t overthink it, just watch and enjoy it. After all, most HK action classics don’t make a ton of logical sense if you think about them too much, John Woo’s included. Can’t relate to One Armed Boxer on this one. I’m very much looking forward to upgrading my ancient LD of this crackerjack film.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, chen lung said:

I think it's basically a label to differentiate from the standard one (which doesn't come with the external goodies).

Anyway, you won't know whether you like the film until you watch it; if you don't, I'm sure someone will gladly take the Deluxe one off you. :wink

41 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

That’s the only negative review I’ve come across for BLACK CAT, one of my all-time fave HK action thrillers, and one which absolutely merits a deluxe treatment. Don’t overthink it, just watch and enjoy it. After all, most HK action classics don’t make a ton of logical sense if you think about them too much, John Woo’s included. Can’t relate to One Armed Boxer on this one. I’m very much looking forward to upgrading my ancient LD of this crackerjack film.

My poor wallet 😅😅😥

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

That’s the only negative review I’ve come across for BLACK CAT, one of my all-time fave HK action thrillers, and one which absolutely merits a deluxe treatment.

I liked it more than some of the reviews over on hkmdb :tongueout -

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/reviews.mhtml?id=7443&display_set=eng

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I liked it more than some of the reviews over on hkmdb :tongueout -

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/reviews.mhtml?id=7443&display_set=eng

They can keep their negative reviews, I’ve no need of them. But seriously, I normally see nothing but praise for it on the nerd forums I frequent. Can’t fathom why a Golden Age HK action fan wouldn’t like it. It’s so much fun, and waaaaaaaaay better than either LA FEMME NIKITA or POINT OF NO RETURN.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

But its no martial-arts movie, right?

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 2/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

I was admiring that cover from Drive. It captured the likeness of the cast members so well. Besides Mark of course.

Are you kidding around? I think both pieces of art captured Mark's likeness and expressions to a T. Which one (or is it both?) don't you like. Not trying to be argumentative- I'm just surprised and curious.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:31 PM, Ramji said:

Yo! What’s up, been a long time. So I’m umming and ahing over the upcoming Black Cat release. Obviously in an ideal world I would pick up everything but money is tight and there’s so much coming up I might have to prioritise a little. I’ve never seen it but it kinda looks a bit cheap and not particularly exciting? No great action/stunts etc. Am I in the wrong?

Welcome back, stranger. :bigsmile:

I'm a big fan of BLACK CAT.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Here's my review from September.

I have very similar tastes to @One Armed Boxer, but in this rare case I disagree. I still enjoyed the review though. :wink:

On 2/9/2022 at 4:16 AM, Ramji said:

No, no, no no no.

9 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

They can keep their negative reviews, I’ve no need of them. But seriously, I normally see nothing but praise for it on the nerd forums I frequent. Can’t fathom why a Golden Age HK action fan wouldn’t like it. It’s so much fun, and waaaaaaaaay better than either LA FEMME NIKITA or POINT OF NO RETURN.

Yeah!

Oh, wait... don't diss LA FEMME NIKITA though! :tongue: I don't like BLACK CAT more than that. But it's head and heels above that crappy POINT OF NO RETURN. When I saw Harvey Keitel (whom I dig) as

Spoiler

"The Cleaner" I was so happy. But when this "elite, highly trained professional" started trying to kill her by wagging a knife back and forth like a toddler with a stick I inadvertently groaned out loud in the theater (I remember people turning to look at me with puzzled expressions. LOL).

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Correct, zero. When it comes to Jade Leung, give me ‘Satin Steel’ or ‘Fox Hunter’ over ‘Black Cat’ any day of the week!

I totally agree that she gets more fists and feet flying in those two. But BLACK CAT is still an exciting action flick, and Jade is... well, she's so damn hot! I can't take my eyes off of her. @Ramji I say "get it"! If you wind up not loving it, as mentioned above, you'll definitely be able to sell the deluxe edition and get your money back.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Nikita is definitely better than Point, and perhaps I went a bit overboard there but I do like Black Cat better than both. I should perhaps give Nikita another spin sometime, it’s been a few decades since I’ve seen it. And I’ve never seen Fox Hunter or Satin Steel, so there’s another couple to add to my list!

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Nikita is definitely better than Point, and perhaps I went a bit overboard there but I do like Black Cat better than both. I should perhaps give Nikita another spin sometime, it’s been a few decades since I’ve seen it. And I’ve never seen Fox Hunter or Satin Steel, so there’s another couple to add to my list!

Surely not Sammo Hung’s Point of no return is pants? Or is it the other movie named Point of no return That is crap?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Surely not Sammo Hung’s Point of no return is pants? Or is it the other movie named Point of no return That is crap?

Not Touch And Go, but the remake of La Femme Nikita, Point Of No Return, with Bridget Fonda.

• Like 2

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Definitely check it out again. :nerd:

I recommended it to somebody who is 25, and he said I really enjoyed it even though it was filled with cliches. I responded that this film did a lot of those tropes first and he's been watching stuff stealing from that for years. :wink:

SATIN STEEL is nuts! I think @One Armed Boxer did a review for that one too. Best watched spoiler-free though.

51 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've held off on ordering Black Cat but the positive reviews in this thread just made me pull the trigger (pun intended).

Right on!

49 minutes ago, Graysman said:

No, not the Sammo one. The POINT OF NO RETURN we were referring to is the US remake of LA FEMME NIKITA starring Bridgette Fonda. I found it to be lame.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've held off on ordering Black Cat but the positive reviews in this thread just made me pull the trigger (pun intended).

I don’t think you’ll regret this decision.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:39 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Are you kidding around? I think both pieces of art captured Mark's likeness and expressions to a T. Which one (or is it both?) don't you like. Not trying to be argumentative- I'm just surprised and curious.

I'm alittle lost here? You're accusing me of  making fun of things. So admiring one artwork is such a bad thing? I don't know why are you're starting an argument that i havent done anything wrong but clearly  i meant no disrespect.  But clearly i'm going to see myself off the group because i'm not going to deal with being mistreated. Maybe next time you should learn to read before you go about pointing fingers at me and accussing me of trying to be insulting to you.

Good day sir and best of luck.  Clearly you've shown me and proved that the rumours are true that you and the others talk abunch of smack about me behind my back.  I never want to hear from you again since to you and the other people i'm crazy. Okay don't fuck with a crazy people then.

Asshole!

On 2/11/2022 at 5:39 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Welcome back, stranger. :bigsmile:

I'm a big fan of BLACK CAT.

I have very similar tastes to @One Armed Boxer, but in this rare case I disagree. I still enjoyed the review though. :wink:

No, no, no no no.

Yeah!

Oh, wait... don't diss LA FEMME NIKITA though! :tongue: I don't like BLACK CAT more than that. But it's head and heels above that crappy POINT OF NO RETURN. When I saw Harvey Keitel (whom I dig) as

Reveal hidden contents

"The Cleaner" I was so happy. But when this "elite, highly trained professional" started trying to kill her by wagging a knife back and forth like a toddler with a stick I inadvertently groaned out loud in the theater (I remember people turning to look at me with puzzled expressions. LOL).

I totally agree that she gets more fists and feet flying in those two. But BLACK CAT is still an exciting action flick, and Jade is... well, she's so damn hot! I can't take my eyes off of her. @Ramji I say "get it"! If you wind up not loving it, as mentioned above, you'll definitely be able to sell the deluxe edition and get your money back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I'm alittle lost here? You're accusing me of  making fun of things. So admiring one artwork is such a bad thing? I don't know why are you're starting an argument that i havent done anything wrong but clearly  i meant no disrespect.  But clearly i'm going to see myself off the group because i'm not going to deal with being mistreated. Maybe next time you should learn to read before you go about pointing fingers at me and accussing me of trying to be insulting to you.

Good day sir and best of luck.  Clearly you'ev shown me and proved that the rumours are true that you and the others talk abunch of smack about me behind my back.  I never want to hear from you again since to you and the other people i'm crazy. Okay don't fuck with a crazy people then.

Asshole!

Whoa. I think because you said “Besides Mark”, he thought you meant you didn’t think the artwork captured Mark’s likeness very well, and was curious about what you didn’t like about the art’s representation of Mark — it didn’t seem to me like he was having a go at you at all, but, like he said, is just curious about what you thought was off.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Good day sir and best of luck.  Clearly you'ev shown me and proved that the rumours are true that you and the others talk abunch of smack about me behind my back.  I never want to hear from you again since to you and the other people i'm crazy. Okay don't fuck with a crazy people then.

Asshole!

I think you misread @KUNG FU BOB's tone pretty severely. You stated the cover didn't capture Mark Dacascos' likeness and Bob literally asked why. He even explicitly said that he wasn't trying to be argumentative. Bob is an artist so it's only natural he would inquire as to what makes good and bad art. I think your accusations were rather hasty.

And just to reiterate, I am also not being argumentative. Just stating that you may have read the entire situation incorrectly. I won't pretend to know anything about the "behind my back" comment. I'm not privy to that kind of things but I promise you, Bob was not trying to attack you in any way, shape or form.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Not Touch And Go, but the remake of La Femme Nikita, Point Of No Return, with Bridget Fonda.

I was wracking my brain for a film called point of no return qnd realised you were talking about the american remake. Iv always known it as The Assassin and didnt know there were alternative titles. And yeah the assassin is shite, la femme nikita and black cat however are not. Havent seen black cat since the made in hong kong vhs back in the day. Although think the wife may have a raised eyebrow if she sees me watching jade leung in the black cat. She always seems to have the knack of walking into the room whilst the dodgiest scene in whatever film im watching is on screen. Think ill just need to pass on this. Lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Asshole!

:rofl Is this the same guy from the HKCAS Facebook Group who makes the same claim numerous times that people are talking about him... yet the group has no idea what he's talking... and then says he is leaving the group, never does, and then does the same thing all over again...?

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Asshole!

I didn't read anything looking like an insult nor an argument in @KUNG FU BOB's post, and I don' t even know if it's him who drew the cover you are talking about, but it's a fact that YOU are very vindicative and insulting, and his post really doesn't deserve such a so bad attack, in my opinion...

Surely a misread of what he said, as someone pointed out in a previous post...

• Like 3