The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Shout Factory had announced earlier this week that they were releasing Wes Craven's Cursed. This bit of information doesn't have any relation to this forum but I bring it up because it's the first title Miramax-owned that's being licensed by Paramount to a boutique label. Some major HK titles owned by Paramount/Miramax in the U.S. include: Project A I & II, Operation Condor/Armour of God I & II, Dragon Lord, Iron Monkey, and Police Story 3. Most of these titles have already been released in the U.K. by 88 and Eureka, but with Paramount seemingly opening up the Miramax titles to the boutique labels, what are the odds that we see U.S. releases for these titles? Seemingly the titles released by 88 in the U.K. could be released by them stateside, especially since they have started operations in the States, but maybe we could possibly see other labels like Criterion releasing the Miramax-owned HK titles here (I would love to see Criterion release Police Story 3 as a counterpart to their wonderful Police Story 1/2 set). Are there any other HK titles that Miramax/Paramount have the rights to in the U.S? Hopefully @Irongod2112 can chime in and maybe give us a teaser/hint if there are plans to license the HK titles from Paramount? :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Shout Factory had announced earlier this week that they were releasing Wes Craven's Cursed. This bit of information doesn't have any relation to this forum but I bring it up because it's the first title Miramax-owned that's being licensed by Paramount to a boutique label. Some major HK titles owned by Paramount/Miramax in the U.S. include: Project A I & II, Operation Condor/Armour of God I & II, Dragon Lord, Iron Monkey, and Police Story 3. Most of these titles have already been released in the U.K. by 88 and Eureka, but with Paramount seemingly opening up the Miramax titles to the boutique labels, what are the odds that we see U.S. releases for these titles? Seemingly the titles released by 88 in the U.K. could be released by them stateside, especially since they have started operations in the States, but maybe we could possibly see other labels like Criterion releasing the Miramax-owned HK titles here (I would love to see Criterion release Police Story 3 as a counterpart to their wonderful Police Story 1/2 set). Are there any other HK titles that Miramax/Paramount have the rights to in the U.S? Hopefully @Irongod2112 can chime in and maybe give us a teaser/hint if there are plans to license the HK titles from Paramount? :) 

Police Story 3 is held by Fortune Star and most of the others have been released in the UK by 88 Films or Eureka already

• Like 2

1 minute ago, actionfan93 said:

Police Story 3 is held by Fortune Star and most of the others have been released in the UK by 88 Films or Eureka already

Miramax/Paramount own the U.S. rights to Police Story 3, and I know that they have U.K releases as I've already mentioned that they were released in the U.K, As I said in my comment, I am wondering about the U.S. releases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Miramax/Paramount own the U.S. rights to Police Story 3, and I know that they have U.K releases as I've already mentioned that they were released in the U.K, As I said in my comment, I am wondering about the U.S. releases.

I asked about this in the hong kong cinema appreciation group on facebook Miramax may not hold it anymore as they had Drunken Master 2 before as well

• Like 2

23 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

I asked about this in the hong kong cinema appreciation group on facebook Miramax may not hold it anymore as they had Drunken Master 2 before as well

A bunch of insiders basically dropped the info without directly saying that Supercop is coming. Didn't say by who... but it is coming...

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

45 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

A bunch of insiders basically dropped the info without directly saying that Supercop is coming. Didn't say by who... but it is coming...

Do you know where this was said?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Hong kong cinema appreciation society 

Thank you! I'm assuming that you are talking about the FB group, so I'm not able to see any posts as I don't have FB. Would you happen to know if the claim is coming from people who have inside knowledge of the industry?

• Like 3

On 2/3/2022 at 4:02 PM, actionfan93 said:

Word is that Police Story 3 :SuperCop: may get a release someday. That's all i know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

Thank you! I'm assuming that you are talking about the FB group, so I'm not able to see any posts as I don't have FB. Would you happen to know if the claim is coming from people who have inside knowledge of the industry?

yes it is as some have worked on extras for releases for Eureka and 88 Films

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

I do know who said what but I'm unwilling to quote them to be honest. They revealed nothing for sure as they are not allowed. 

But I'm feeling rather confident for a UK blu of Police Story 3. Its the 30th anniversary this year.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I do know who said what but I'm unwilling to quote them to be honest. They revealed nothing for sure as they are not allowed. 

But I'm feeling rather confident for a UK blu of Police Story 3. Its the 30th anniversary this year.

and there's a high possibility First Strike/Police Story 4 will release this year as well from Warner it would be great to be able to have high quality upgrades of all 4

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

and there's a high possibility First Strike/Police Story 4 will release this year as well from Warner it would be great to be able to have high quality upgrades of all 4

Yeah, that's what some people had a theory that would be the next JC Flim to be released by Warners.  I hope someday 88 Flims will be able to get the rights to Twin Dragons.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 3

7 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Yeah, that's what some people had a theory that would be the next JC Flim to be released by Warners.  I hope someday 88 Flims will be able to get the rights to Twin Dragons.

my hope is for eventually Who Am I but I think Sony has the rights still so its stuck in purgatory if 88 or Eureka can secure it on top of potentially Police Story 3 well that would be a fantastic release list for Jackie Chan this year and with Warner potentially putting out First Strike its even more fantastic 

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

my hope is for eventually Who Am I but I think Sony has the rights still so its stuck in purgatory if 88 or Eureka can secure it on top of potentially Police Story 3 well that would be a fantastic release list for Jackie Chan this year and with Warner potentially putting out First Strike it even more fantastic 

Or they did but no longer along with Gorgeous. Warners has Rumble in the Bronx and Thunderbolt.  It would be great if 88 were the ones to release Police Story 3 giving it a Deluxe edition with Kung Fu Bob's art in it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Or they did but no longer along with Gorgeous. Warners has Rumble in the Bronx and Thunderbolt.  It would be great if 88 were the ones to release Police Story 3 giving it a Deluxe edition with Kung Fu Bob's art in it.

I hope someone else has Who Am I's rights and it opens it up to getting a great release from 88,Eureka or another label

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

I hope someone else has Who Am I's rights and it opens it up to getting a great release from 88,Eureka or another label

Yeah, I hope 88 get's it. With some cool special features.

• Like 2

The First Strike cut I imagine is the international one? Or we don't have enough info yet? Would love to see the HK cut get some love

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The First Strike cut I imagine is the international one? Or we don't have enough info yet? Would love to see the HK cut get some love

no info really yet but I am hoping its the HK version

• Like 3