The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

7 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

I hope they will continue with the steelbooks or the special box sets also for the old Jackie titles

It's annoying to double dip for it though, as I did for Dragons Forever. Would love a steelbook of Kung Fu Bob's art for Fearless Hyena, operation Condor or Dragon Lord. Maybe that'd be a good idea for a re-release of Dragon Fist, Snake And Cran Arts, Battle Creek Brawl and TKWI? Upgrade the PQ so they're up to usual high standard, non SDH subtitles, audio commentaries and a Kung Fu Bob steelbook. Sound good?

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

8 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

20211124_134747.thumb.jpg.a32663b5b7bc4bdc21eacd60dab2146c.jpg

Looks nice have fun.

Maaaan i hope someone makes finally some deluxe editions of fongsaiyuk and taichi etc. With kungfubob or wheeling artwork and posters and so on.

Jet li needs and deserves the young master treatment. Please someone tell 88 films that they should put an eye on this issue

• Like 6

On 11/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, LiuYiLong said:

Just launched my competition to win The latest 88 Films Shaw Brother's releases over on my youtube channel.

Giving away a sealed copy of The Chinese Boxer, a copy of Disciples of Shaolin and also a copy of 5 Element Ninjas to anyone who may have already pre-ordered the newer titles but maybe doesnt have the earlier releases....

A HUGE thanks to 88 Films for helping me to make this happen.

Good Luck to everyone from here who chooses to enter!!

I hope to win Five Element Ninjas!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Is disciples of shaolin out yet or still pre order only? 

I’m not sure where you’re located but the US release date is December 14th.

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
17 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’m not sure where you’re located but the US release date is December 14th.

The wonderful place called the UK. 

It says the 14th December too but I thought I saw people posting up reviews etc?

Cheers for the info. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

The wonderful place called the UK. 

It says the 14th December too but I thought I saw people posting up reviews etc?

Cheers for the info. 

It definitely seems that some people got their copy. I’m not sure why some got theirs before others though. Maybe ordering from 88 Films direct versus ordering from Amazon?

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 11/26/2021 at 1:20 AM, sifu iron perm said:

Is disciples of shaolin out yet or still pre order only? 

I got it From 88 together with The Chinese boxer last week.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, Drunksnake said:

FB_IMG_1637845393122.jpg.f4b9c74db8035d90840c0c13e036928c.jpg

What a superb cover ! I prefer it to the ils Shaws' one !

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Master with OK Fingers
On 11/20/2021 at 10:47 PM, LiuYiLong said:

They teased out not that long ago that they would be releasing Righting Wrongs sometime soon...

Eagle eyed folks spotted that the extra features on the list shown behind some proof discs included Yuen Biao extras and they've since pretty much confirmed it... this pic.

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22.46.00.png

I hope so, they have liked a lot of messages regarding them releasing this recently. Got to be a good sign. I commissioned HKR to to do Above the Law and paid £150 to get it done, so you know I'll be all over an 88 release of this! One of my all time favourite films.

• Like 6

I also hope Righting Wrongs aka Above The Law gets released as well, especially if it came with the Hong Kong, Mandarin and international/export versions.

• Like 5

It was confirmed Righting Wrongs is coming from 88 Films in 2022 with 3 cuts on the Hong Kong Cinema Appreciation Society Group on facebook and Tiger Cage I think is also coming in 2022 maybe a 2 pack with Tiger Cage 2 I wonder what else they have coming in 2022 that aren't carried over delayed releases

2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I also hope Righting Wrongs aka Above The Law gets released as well, especially if it came with the Hong Kong, Mandarin and international/export versions.

6 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

I hope so, they have liked a lot of messages regarding them releasing this recently. Got to be a good sign. I commissioned HKR to to do Above the Law and paid £150 to get it done, so you know I'll be all over an 88 release of this! One of my all time favourite films.

• Like 8

Yesterday I watch The Chinese Boxer. sublime edition. great movie. I died of laughter during the scene where Lo Lieh screams and smashing the table and ceiling.:coveredlaugh

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
9 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

Yesterday I watch The Chinese Boxer. sublime edition. great movie. I died of laughter during the scene where Lo Lieh screams and smashing the table and ceiling.:coveredlaugh

Jimmy Wang Yu is an incredible director. Its as cinematic as you can get the way the shots look compared to bruce lee or jackie chan directing.  

• Like 6

On 11/27/2021 at 10:46 PM, actionfan93 said:

It was confirmed Righting Wrongs is coming from 88 Films in 2022 with 3 cuts on the Hong Kong Cinema Appreciation Society Group on facebook and Tiger Cage I think is also coming in 2022 maybe a 2 pack with Tiger Cage 2 I wonder what else they have coming in 2022 that aren't carried over delayed releases

I believe only Tiger Cage 1 will be released first, maybe the second will follow  later on.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

I believe only Tiger Cage 1 will be released first, maybe the second will follow  later on.

and I'd be ecstatic for that I just assumed since both are owned by fortune star they would release both in a 2 blu-ray pack

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 1

• Administrator
On 11/22/2021 at 12:16 PM, LiuYiLong said:

Just launched my competition to win The latest 88 Films Shaw Brother's releases over on my youtube channel.

Giving away a sealed copy of The Chinese Boxer, a copy of Disciples of Shaolin and also a copy of 5 Element Ninjas to anyone who may have already pre-ordered the newer titles but maybe doesnt have the earlier releases....

A HUGE thanks to 88 Films for helping me to make this happen.

Good Luck to everyone from here who chooses to enter!!

Thanks for the cool give-aways and your support and love for 88 Films, @LiuYiLong!

On 11/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, Yihetuan said:

Finally finished listening to all 4 of the audio commentary tracks on the Story of Ricky blu ray. Initially I was thinking why the heck would they need to put 4 commentaries but I learned something different from each one & glad I did listen to them all in the end. Frank Djeng's was the most informative IMHO and if you had to choose only one to listen to due to time constraints, then that would be my preference but the others all had their merits as well. Interesting to learn about Norway's ban on the use of animal parts for "gore effects" from Audi Sorley and Chris Ling.

Good to hear that they're all worth checking out. I don't think I've listened to any audio commentaries by Sorley and Ling yet. I sometimes listen to commentaries while I work, which is a pleasant way to experience them. But I tend to work more efficiently when I just play music, as I'm not tempted to look up at the screen, which is obviously distracting. Shame, as I have so many AC's (especially of recent purchases) I want to check out on releases from 88 Films, Eureka, Arrow, Vinegar Syndrome, Criterion and more. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, Drunksnake said:

It's annoying to double dip for it though, as I did for Dragons Forever. Would love a steelbook of Kung Fu Bob's art for Fearless Hyena, operation Condor or Dragon Lord. Maybe that'd be a good idea for a re-release of Dragon Fist, Snake And Cran Arts, Battle Creek Brawl and TKWI? Upgrade the PQ so they're up to usual high standard, non SDH subtitles, audio commentaries and a Kung Fu Bob steelbook. Sound good?

I appreciate your vote of confidence! :wink:

Oddly, I've done a few covers for companies that were slated to be my first art on a steelbook release, but each time, for a variety of reasons, there has been a change in plans. One of these days...

On 11/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, AslanBey said:

Maaaan i hope someone makes finally some deluxe editions of fongsaiyuk and taichi etc. With kungfubob or wheeling artwork and posters and so on.

Jet li needs and deserves the young master treatment. Please someone tell 88 films that they should put an eye on this issue

@AsianBey if it can happen, it will. Believe me, attention is being payed.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, ShawAngela said:

What a superb cover ! I prefer it to the ils Shaws' one !

Thank you. :angel I love SHAOLIN MANTIS! It was a thrill to work on it.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, Omni Dragon said:

On 11/27/2021 at 11:46 PM, actionfan93 said:

If 88 Films are releasing RIGHTING WRONGS / ABOVE THE LAW (and I'm neither confirming or denying), I assure you it would get the full treatment it deserves. :nerd:

On 11/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, JackieRome said:

@JackieRome that's one of my favorite bits from the film! You know a dude is pissed off when he smashes his table and jumps up through the ceiling before he even comes at you! My advice: as soon as he jumps, you'd best run. :tongue:

On 11/29/2021 at 2:01 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

14 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

and I'd be ecstatic for that I just assumed since both are owned by fortune star they would release both in a 2 blu-ray pack

Again, I can't reveal anything other than... our (the fans) best interest is in mind. :bigsmile: As far as Hong Kong Blu-ray releases go, 2022 is going to rock!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 3

15 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

I would imagine they would take their time restoring each flim.  Plus that would make  like expecting 88 Flims to release both Armour of God 1 and 2 at once. I would imagine 88 might, maybe release Tiger Cage 2.  But till then we'll just have to wait patiently.

• Like 5

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I would imagine they would take their time restoring each flim.  Plus that would make  like expecting 88 Flims to release both Armour of God 1 and 2 at once. I would imagine 88 might, maybe release Tiger Cage 2.  But till then we'll just have to wait patiently.

The reason 88 Films released OPERATION CONDOR before ARMOUR OF GOD is because Medium Rare still had the licensing for the later at the time. I suspect, as both films are such important titles in Jackie's filmography, that if they could've they might still have released them separately, but who knows.

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

19 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

The reason 88 Films released OPERATION CONDOR before ARMOUR OF GOD is because Medium Rare still had the licensing for the later at the time. I suspect, as both films are such important titles in Jackie's filmography, that if they could've they might still have released them separately, but who knows.

I hope they remake all of Jackie's titles in big box sets like Armor of God, or steelbook. I expect only deluxe editions from them;)

• Like 5

I still hold out the slimmest of hopes that one day 88 will acquire Rumble in the Bronx..first Jackie I ever saw in Theaters and it blew my mind, would love a release that had some love for a change

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Rumble isn’t one of my faves but I do like it ok; to me it’s the first sign of Jackie’s decline, but it does have some great stuff in it and I’d definitely preorder an uncut remastered version with proper subs for the Cantonese bits. Haven’t seen it in quite a while and would enjoy a revisit.

• Like 10