The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

• Administrator
On 11/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, danthemandmv said:

Bob , you've done it again- the cover art for all these Shaw Bros & other releases has been STELLAR !:bs_martialgreeting:

A sincere thanks for that @danthemandmv. A lot of the credit for my work must go to the films themselves though, packed with incredible ideas, characters, action, and imagination. If, as a huge fan of these titles, I can't make an appealing piece of art based on these films, it's time for me to throw in the towel! :tongue: Hell, for LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA I had the basic composition worked out in my head, did a fast, rough sketch, then started listing all the elements that I thought should be included. But it turned out that there was no way to include more than half of those elements without making an over-crowded mess. I whittled it down to what I considered the "must have" elements, but still... I wish there had been an appropriate place to include the bloody, disembodied eyeballs. :itwasntme

On 11/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, AslanBey said:

Naaaaa give my wallet a breakkkk goddammitttt 🤣

Looks so good and inviting that I'm sure i'll preorder it although i dont know anything about this movie (Im not the biggest SB aficionado).

Really good job BobbyBoy, catching the oldschool spirit.

Thanks!

MONKEY KUNG FU is a cool little flick. Story wise it's no great shakes, kind of meandering along from scene to scene with a meager string of plot through-line to connect them. The main appeal here is the kung fu action and the stars. As I (and others) have previously mentioned, the star of the film is famous director/action choreographer Tony Ching Siu-Tung, whose impressive credits include puling double-duty on DUEL TO THE DEATH, A CHINESE GHOST STORY, SWORDSMAN 1, 2, and 3 (THE EAST IS RED), and creating the exhilarating action for HOLY WEAPON, SHAOLIN SOCCER, THE HEROIC TRIO and its sequel EXECUTIONERS, the ROYAL TRAMP films, HERO (2002) and so much more. Though Tony had previously acted in a slew of films, starting with the role of an ill-fated boy in COME DRINK WITH ME (1966), he was typically only a fighting extra, or minor character. MONKEY KUNG FU was his first, and as far as I've seen (I haven't seen a couple of his 37 acting credits), only starring role. He may have only had this one chance to show what he could do, but holy back-flips Batman, he sure makes the best of it! His kung fu and acrobatic skills are outstanding, and the movie is filled with long, intricate takes of kung fu (monkey and otherwise) madness. I've heard that Tony is a tough, demanding director, and it may because he feels like "Well if I can do anything, you should be able to do it as well". Adding to the masterful displays is another actor/director/action choreographer Tony- Tony Leung Siu-Hung, who also plays two roles here. Leung helmed and choreographed SATIN STEEL and BLOODMOON with Gary Daniels, and action directed or choreographed MAGIC CRYSTAL (with Richard Norton and Cynthia Rothrock), MY KUNG FU 12 KICKS, A FISTFUL OF TALONS, ANGEL, and IP MAN (where he plays the role of Master Lee), and lots more. Add to the mix the skilled fighting actor Hau Chiu-Sing (the Monkey Fist master in both SNAKE IN THE MONKEY'S SHADOW and FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS, the later also co-starring Tony Leung) as Tony Ching's co-star (er...second banana? :yociexp106::wink:), and an extended cast of performers giving it their all. There's an extra-flexible prostitute that won't accept having her services discounted (I can't figure out the actresses' name), and an angry blacksmith played by muscular genre actor Lee Chun-Wa (DRUNKEN MASTER, KILLER CONSTABLE, LETHAL PANTHER) who literally suffers for his role. Fans of old school kung fu cinema will likely have noticed that real-life injuries often visibly appear on the performers (Hau's finger is bandaged during the climactic fight here), and that when there are long outdoor fights you can frequently see the actors' skin getting darker- sometimes tanner, sometimes burnt- as they perform countless takes under the merciless Hong Kong sun (Jackie Chan in both FEARLESS HYENA and THE YOUNG MASTER immediately comes to mind). But Lee Chun-Wa may be the most extreme case I've witnessed, as the shirtless man goes from normal, to bright red, to covered with a slew of huge blisters on his shoulders and back! Yet he still tackles the fighting action with gusto, brawling and falling repeatedly despite his undoubtedly, extremely painful condition.

Anyway, for those of you "on the fence" about purchasing this title, I recommend you swing like a monkey firmly onto the "must buy" side for the rare opportunity to see Tony Ching lighting up the screen with his deep well of skills.

15 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

I'm consistently blown away by your art Bob!!! I need one of those old school montage posters with all of your covers in a compilation or something :D I know it's been said countless times, but I'm loving the covers brother!!

Also, I'm constantly having to pinch myself with all of the Shaw Bro/Old School Martial Arts love these days... I'm still having PTSD from the days of luckily getting one dvd release a year... At first my wife was like "Oh cool, a new Karate movie is coming out for you" now it's "...wow great more karate movies, don't you have enough?...." :lol:

:wink: Awesome!

Oh yeah, we're living in the best of times for physical releases of our favorite films. I'm loving it, but it is tough on the wallet.

Fortunately my buying habits and my wife's tolerance are tempered by many of the things I get being sent because I did the covers instead of it all being from money spent. :tongue: She is the main reason I didn't give up on my dream of doing this kind of art and simply drawing as a hobby while working at some normal job. She's super cool! And it's always a thrill opening each package I receive with my work on a release. We open them together and geek out a bit with all of them. She wanted to keep everything I ever did a cover for on display on our living-room shelf, but there are just too many now. :nodding Plus, I like to arrange them alphabetically in their specific sections. :nerd:

11 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Bob, your art adds so much to these lovely releases.

:khi5c:

On 11/15/2021 at 5:31 AM, JackieRome said:

it's incredible. after the package (pre-ordered) from Zavvi was lost, I reordered directly from 88 films and it is 2 weeks since I have not received anything and the tracking is blocked. Ricky Oh I can't have it. I give up and will only buy from Amazon in the future.:laluot_20:

Damn bro, sorry you are going through all this. That sucks. :sweating

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Karlos said:

I noticed there's copies of Story of Ricky on Amazon UK for around £32.

No idea if the various sellers ship outside of the UK. 

Zavvi does and has cheap shipping.

• Like 3

I'm finally out of Youtube jail and have a new custom URL for V2.0 of my channel.

www.youtube.com/c/TheFanaticalDragon

Also here's a review of 88's latest Shaw Brothers release that some of us have been lucky enough to get our hands on already,

stick around to the end of the video for a sneak peek of the next giveaway I'll be doing on the channel ( it's 88 films related)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

I'm finally out of Youtube jail and have a new custom URL for V2.0 of my channel.

www.youtube.com/c/TheFanaticalDragon

Also here's a review of 88's latest Shaw Brothers release that some of us have been lucky enough to get our hands on already,

stick around to the end of the video for a sneak peek of the next giveaway I'll be doing on the channel ( it's 88 films related)

Great that you're out on parole from YouTube prison, but y'all never told me 88 Flims is to release Martial Club! It's one of my favorite Gordon Liu flims!

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

7 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Great that you're out on parole from YouTube prison, but y'all never told me 88 Flims is to release Martial Club! It's one of my favorite Gordon Liu flims!

Thank you mate!

Yes indeed, when 88 did their US releases reveal along with the reveal for the glorious cover art for Chinese Boxer by our own resident Sharpie Samurai @KUNG FU BOB back in July they also teased out original poster art of all the Shaw's Movies they would be releasing next.

Pretty sure this will be buried somewhere back in the thread earlier but this was the image...

And the movies teased out behind the (recently released) Chinese Boxer there are:

Human Lanterns ( release date unknown)

Legendary Weapons of China ( March 2022)

Martial Club ( release date unknown)

Disciples of Shaolin ( 13th Dec / 14th Dec US)

Monkey Kung Fu ( March 2022)

Flying Guillotines 2 - ( release date unknown)

Flag of Iron ( Feb or March 2022)

and Hero ( 1997) the Cory Yuen Boxer from Shantung remake.- ( release date unknown)

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 17.36.29.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

13 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

Thank you mate!

Yes indeed, when 88 did their US releases reveal along with the reveal for the glorious cover art for Chinese Boxer by our own resident Sharpie Samurai @KUNG FU BOB back in July they also teased out original poster art of all the Shaw's Movies they would be releasing next.

Pretty sure this will be buried somewhere back in the thread earlier but this was the image...

And the movies teased out behind the (recently released) Chinese Boxer there are:

Human Lanterns ( release date unknown)

Legendary Weapons of China ( March 2022)

Martial Club ( release date unknown)

Disciples of Shaolin ( 13th Dec / 14th Dec US)

Monkey Kung Fu ( March 2022)

Flying Guillotines 2 - ( release date unknown)

Flag of Iron ( Feb or March 2022)

and Hero ( 1997) the Cory Yuen Boxer from Shantung remake.- ( release date unknown)

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 17.36.29.jpg

I'm looking foward to seeing Martial Club getting whenever it get's released.  It's great to have your channel back on youtube, I was abit worried after a week or two.

• Like 3

88 Films just re-tweeted a post featuring Above the Law / Righting Wrongs.
Probably means nothing, but it got my attention.

Edited by Rubber John
  • Like 7

44 minutes ago, Rubber John said:

88 Films just re-tweeted a post featuring Above the Law / Righting Wrongs.
Probably means nothing, but it got my attention.

They teased out not that long ago that they would be releasing Righting Wrongs sometime soon...

Eagle eyed folks spotted that the extra features on the list shown behind some proof discs included Yuen Biao extras and they've since pretty much confirmed it... this pic.

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22.46.00.png

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

I wonder when Tiger Cage and possibly Tiger Cage 2 are coming and what else they have to come

Soon, very soon.  88 Flims will finally release their DY blu-ray collection to fans. They will happen but it's a matter of when it will happen is  beyond me.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Soon, very soon.  88 Flims will finally release their DY blu-ray collection to fans. They will happen but it's a matter of when it will happen is  beyond me.

hmm I wonder what else they have up their sleeves then I hope they are the ones to release In the line of Duty 1-4,Angel and Killer Angels any other girls with guns would be a bonus

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

hmm I wonder what else they have up their sleeves then I hope they are the ones to release In the line of Duty 1-4,Angel and Killer Angels any other girls with guns would be a bonus

A bunch of us have been talking for years we would absolutely love a bunch of girls with guns releases

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nectarsis said:

A bunch of us have been talking for years we would absolutely love a bunch of girls with guns releases

hopefully in the future 88 or another label release the best ones its too bad Yukari,Khan,Moon,Rothrock and Yeoh didn't have more gems and too bad the genre didn't take off I can only imagine the gems that could have happened just imagine a film with Yukari Oshima and Jackie chan or Yuen Biao teaming up to take down a villain or Yukari being the big villain to Jackie Chan or Yuen Biao oh what could have been had that genre taken off in popularity

• Like 3

2 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

I'd  say the  In The Line of Duty flims will be split. The ones with Michelle Yeoh by Eureka.  The rest including In The Line of Duty IV Featuring Donnie Yen maybe 88 Flims.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I'd  say the  In The Line of Duty flims will be split. The ones with Michelle Yeoh by Eureka.  The rest including In The Line of Duty IV Featuring Donnie Yen maybe 88 Flims.

hmm interesting I guess i just assumed they'd package the first 4 in a box set either way I am a buyer for the first 4 not sure about the others after 4 if fortune star would restore those as well but I wonder who if a deal can be made ends up with Angel and Killer Angels 88 I am guessing not really sure how far the labels will go in that genre maybe Outlaw Brothers is coming in 2022 as well but no idea if In the line of duty 1-4,Angel and killer angels get released that would be fantastic if outlaw brothers and other girls with guns comes than they are bonuses to an already great lineup

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 2

Just launched my competition to win The latest 88 Films Shaw Brother's releases over on my youtube channel.

Giving away a sealed copy of The Chinese Boxer, a copy of Disciples of Shaolin and also a copy of 5 Element Ninjas to anyone who may have already pre-ordered the newer titles but maybe doesnt have the earlier releases....

A HUGE thanks to 88 Films for helping me to make this happen.

Good Luck to everyone from here who chooses to enter!!

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

I couldn't see T&Cs like most competitions (must not be a relative of an employee, etc), so I can only assume that I'm eligible to enter; I haven't had contributor copies yet, you see, nor did I see them in my local HMV. #ByAnyMeansNecessary

:coveredlaugh

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Just launched my competition to win The latest 88 Films Shaw Brother's releases over on my youtube channel.

Giving away a sealed copy of The Chinese Boxer, a copy of Disciples of Shaolin and also a copy of 5 Element Ninjas to anyone who may have already pre-ordered the newer titles but maybe doesnt have the earlier releases....

A HUGE thanks to 88 Films for helping me to make this happen.

entered....good luck to everyone :)

+1000 karma points to you for doing this

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Finally finished listening to all 4 of the audio commentary tracks on the Story of Ricky blu ray. Initially I was thinking why the heck would they need to put 4 commentaries but I learned something different from each one & glad I did listen to them all in the end. Frank Djeng's was the most informative IMHO and if you had to choose only one to listen to due to time constraints, then that would be my preference but the others all had their merits as well. Interesting to learn about Norway's ban on the use of animal parts for "gore effects" from Audi Sorley and Chris Ling.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, chen lung said:

I couldn't see T&Cs like most competitions (must not be a relative of an employee, etc), so I can only assume that I'm eligible to enter; I haven't had contributor copies yet, you see, nor did I see them in my local HMV. #ByAnyMeansNecessary

:coveredlaugh

You absolutely are fine to enter mate, one of the prizes came out of my own pocket ( 5 element ninjas)

the more the merrier!

• Like 4

On 11/24/2021 at 12:05 AM, LiuYiLong said:

You absolutely are fine to enter mate, one of the prizes came out of my own pocket ( 5 element ninjas)

the more the merrier!

LOL

Was just kidding, mate. 👍 Good luck to the winner!

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1