The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

10 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I still believe it will a long while before we see the rest.

We'll just have to wait and see of course they might just focus on the most well known ones and stop after those unless that genre results in alot of sales or they might just do limited editions and once those are gone no standard editions since these aren't as high regarded as Jackie Chan,Sammo Hung,Yuen Biao etc

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, saltysam said:

88 seem to suffer quite a few delays with their releases, believe they are quite a small operation. A number of this year's titles pushed back to March 2022 already. Don't think many those wanted titles will surface before 2023.

Like The One got delayed now it's being released November 29 instead of November 8.  Along with their other planed released flims are also being delayed.

• Like 2

Flag of Iron is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com (with a February release). Sadly, the price is $30! I placed an order and hope the price will decrease before it gets released.

• Like 3

thundered mantis
1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

I think we could see most maybe sooner than later as Angel,Killer Angels,Princess Madam,Devil Hunters and Beauty Investigator have all been remastered

@actionfan93 would you care to comment your source on that info? Devil Hunters has been released in France indeed (I own that Blu Ray), but haven´t heard about remastering on the other films. Is it a reliable source or a wishful guess?

On the other hand, every one of us knows that for a release to happen three terms must be met:

-first, a remaster must be done

-second, the copyright owner must allow a foreign release and mark a price that the foreign company can pay and find profitable (that one is quite complicated, as forum members working with those companies have had the patience to to explain to us the fanbase)

-third, the potential release has to find place among the release schedule and criteria of the company. They will usually have to balance releases and take into account many things (trying to build a somewhat wide spectrum of loyal customers, not exhausting too much their potential buyers, getting a strong back catalog so they can survive among new releases, dealing with the requeriments of big retailers and shelf exposition, etc.).

So, no, those movies getting remastered just means there´s an opportunity, not a certainty of a release happening. And if we eventually get a situation where a release happens and it doesn´t sell as the company needs, you can foresee what´s the consequence

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

@actionfan93 would you care to comment your source on that info? Devil Hunters has been released in France indeed (I own that Blu Ray), but haven´t heard about remastering on the other films. Is it a reliable source or a wishful guess?

On the other hand, every one of us knows that for a release to happen three terms must be met:

-first, a remaster must be done

-second, the copyright owner must allow a foreign release and mark a price that the foreign company can pay and find profitable (that one is quite complicated, as forum members working with those companies have had the patience to to explain to us the fanbase)

-third, the potential release has to find place among the release schedule and criteria of the company. They will usually have to balance releases and take into account many things (trying to build a somewhat wide spectrum of loyal customers, not exhausting too much their potential buyers, getting a strong back catalog so they can survive among new releases, dealing with the requeriments of big retailers and shelf exposition, etc.).

So, no, those movies getting remastered just means there´s an opportunity, not a certainty of a release happening. And if we eventually get a situation where a release happens and it doesn´t sell as the company needs, you can foresee what´s the consequence

I sent you a PM on everything but it was said in a past post on here that In the Line of Duty 1-4 and The Blonde Fury are being restored by Fortune Star and have already been presold to UK distributors so with what I read on Eureka's thread I thought 88 was the one who ended up securing those and I thought with those 5 being well known girls with guns they must have others potentially planned of the most well known girls with guns the ones that would have the best chances of selling well because Angel and Yes Madam I think are the 2 most well known films of the genre but I think Royal Warriors and In the Line of Duty 3 are right behind them though I may be wrong but those 4 were the most recommended when I started my search among the genre

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

They don’t mention the genre but 88 Films’ latest tweet could be interesting…

4A9C1A47-8E5A-430C-8C32-730DDCD0B460.jpeg

With all the talk of the Tiger Cage movies I so want this to be Yuen Woo-Ping. I would be fine with a tiger cage boxset but I’d be over the moon with a miracle fighters boxset, or any boxset of his miscellaneous movies. I’m just not sure if “most” could accurately reflect the next mover of movies they would license. 

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I've never had such bad luck with these latest 88films articles. from what I've heard, I haven't been the only one. I ordered Ricky Oh on Zavvi in pre-order and it never came (and it went out of print), I also ordered dragons forever from them and that also never came. I have been refunded for the first item and in a few days I will also request it for the second item that never arrived. I had to order Ricky Oh from 88 movies direct and hopefully we have some new copies as they say, and dragons forever from Amazon. I had to cancel the AOG pre-order from Zavvi and order it from Amazon. I wasted a lot of time, we hope to resolve the situation and to see at least one article arrive after months.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Looks great.

But i dont know anything about this movie and dont know whether i should grab it. Can someone give an advice? How good or bad is the movie? I assume it has indeed cult character but not every cultmovie is a musthave for me.

How is the movie compared to lets say "8diagram pole fighter" or" one armed boxer" or " clan of the white lotus" etc. Does it go to a similar direction or does it play in the same league (or maybe better or worse)?

I appreciate every opinion.

3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

20211103_143219.thumb.jpg.15c9fe7788264beff0b3a19f76339b39.jpg20211103_143139.thumb.jpg.c9bbaf2169f1ab548dd2d4700b75589b.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Looks great.

But i dont know anything about this movie and dont know whether i should grab it. Can someone give an advice? How good or bad is the movie? I assume it has indeed cult character but not every cultmovie is a musthave for me.

How is the movie compared to lets say "8diagram pole fighter" or" one armed boxer" or " clan of the white lotus" etc. Does it go to a similar direction or does it play in the same league (or maybe better or worse)?

A classic Jimmy Wang Yu' s taking revenge for his Master and follow students killed by Japanese. It's a great movie, in the same vein as One-armed boxer, King boxer or Furious slaughter, on m'y opinion.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Looks great.

The movie is good,  great asThe  One Armed Boxer. Without this movie you wouldn't have Fist of Fury which  was released two years after the release of The Chinese Boxer.  This kick started the Chinese vs Japanese/Chinese Martial Arts vs Japanese Martial Arts type of flim.  

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, Drunken Monk said:

They don’t mention the genre but 88 Films’ latest tweet could be interesting…

4A9C1A47-8E5A-430C-8C32-730DDCD0B460.jpeg

Hmmm. So woud need to be someone who didnt make too many films. Gut feeling maybe John Woo? Hard boiled, killer, bullet in the head, just heroes, better tomorrow 1 and 2 Nd once a thief would attribute to a good bulk of his work. I know u had hand of death, heroes shed no tears (already released) broken arrow, face off, blackjack, windtalkers and red cliff so could be barking up the wrong tree and from what i hear foreign licensing for woo's best films is very difficult so probably not but cant shake the feeling it could be woo. If non asian maybe Peter Jackson box set?

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

The movie is good,  great asThe  One Armed Boxer. Without this movie you wouldn't have Fist of Fury which  was released two years after the release of The Chinese Boxer.  This kick started the Chinese vs Japanese/Chinese Martial Arts vs Japanese Martial Arts type of flim.  

Okayokayyyyy...you got me. Preordered. Greetings from my wallet

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Here's a quick unboxing video i put together for 88's release of The Chinese Boxer ahead of it's UK release on the 8th Nov

Full review to follow on soon once I've checked out the commentary track etc, but first impressions are DAMN it looks amazing, another great transfer from 88. This is the best I've ever seen the movie look.

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

I watched my copy of Chinese Boxer earlier. Lovely package. Same transfer as the German Blu but this one is 1080p unlike the 1080i german, it's got newly translated subs and is on a BD-50. And of course the great KFB Slip,booklet etc. A great package.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, AslanBey said:

Okayokayyyyy...you got me. Preordered. Greetings from my wallet

Buddha bless your wallet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Here's a quick unboxing video i put together for 88's release of The Chinese Boxer ahead of it's UK release on the 8th Nov

Full review to follow on soon once I've checked out the commentary track etc, but first impressions are DAMN it looks amazing, another great transfer from 88. This is the best I've ever seen the movie look.

Love your videos, thank you! It didn’t hit me that this was getting released in the US as well, for easy Amazon ordering, just put my preorder in, can’t wait!

• Like 6

I hadn’t heard of Disciples Of Shaolin, and didn’t realize 88 was releasing it. I just preordered from Amazon! The Chinese Boxer will be arriving today. So glad these are getting released stateside! Other than Flag Of Iron, which of course I’ll be preordering when the time comes, do they have any more SB currently in the pipeline?

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I hadn’t heard of Disciples Of Shaolin, and didn’t realize 88 was releasing it. I just preordered from Amazon! The Chinese Boxer will be arriving today. So glad these are getting released stateside! Other than Flag Of Iron, which of course I’ll be preordering when the time comes, do they have any more SB currently in the pipeline?

yes there is a few for early 2022 January onwards

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graysman said:

yes there is a few for early 2022 January onwards

What might the titles be? Anyone know? And any further news on HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU?

• Like 5