The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

Boommmm...awesome. definitive purchase for me.

I'm not an expert, so: is "Chia liang liu" "Lau-kar leung"?

Yes, that horrible habit of writing the Chinese names as we do outside of China, putting the family name in the last position ! It's a total absolutely nonsense, and mainly regarding Liu Chia Liang, who is widely known under this name and not as Chia Liang Liu !!:devil

• Like 4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Boommmm...awesome. definitive purchase for me.

I'm not an expert, so: is "Chia liang liu" "Lau-kar leung"?

That's very strange that his name was written that way in that press release. Yes to your question, it's the same person, but it should (as @ShawAngela pointed out) be written as "Liu Chia-Liang".

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I buy the 88 films just for @KUNG FU BOB artwork.  

Bless your heart! (the check is in the mail :happy).

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I read "available in the UK and USA", but I guess that 88 won't do as earlier and ship worldwide !

I'm not sure, but I hope they will. I think that in that statement they're specifying those countries because of the releases being Region 1 and 2, but hopefully their availability to order shipping to France won't change.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Yes, that horrible habit of writing the Chinese names as we do outside of China, putting the family name in the last position ! It's a total absolutely nonsense, and mainly regarding Liu Chia Liang, who is widely known under this name and not as Chia Liang Liu !!:devil

It takes a whole lot to rile you up, but I see that the disrespect to "Pops" was your breaking point! I'll be sure not to cross you, my friend. :lipssealed

• Like 6

Oddly, Disciples of Shaolin is up for pre-order on US Amazon (here) but the movies that are being released sooner (Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons...) aren't.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

And why is Lau kar Leung called so when his real name is different? I mean I get it with Jackie and Gordon and Jet li and Donnie etc. (Western names I think). But what was the reason for the "second" name of Lau Kar Leung?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

And why is Lau kar Leung called so when his real name is different? I mean I get it with Jackie and Gordon and Jet li and Donnie etc. (Western names I think). But what was the reason for the "second" name of Lau Kar Leung?

Mandarin and Cantonese.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mandarin and Cantonese.

Ok ok wait... sorry if this is a dumb question: so one person has several names in several accents ( dialects, languages?) ? 

If my name is "aslan" in mandarin, then they would call me otherwise in cantonese? Or is this another traditional issue?? Like I said I dont have any knowledge about this topic. Can someone explain it?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Ok ok wait... sorry if this is a dumb question: so one person has several names in several accents ( dialects, languages?) ? 

If my name is "aslan" in mandarin, then they would call me otherwise in cantonese? Or is this another traditional issue?? Like I said I dont have any knowledge about this topic. Can someone explain it?

Mandarin and Cantonese are different.  Mandarin chinese people can not understand cantonese also some words are very near. Like Sifu (cantonese western notation) and Shifu (mandarin western notation). So it is the same with names: Liu Chia Liang ( cantonese ) - Lau Kar Leung ( mandarin ). The western notation comes from the pronunciation - cantonese or mandarin.

Hope that helps you to understand.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kuenfist said:

Mandarin and Cantonese are different.  Mandarin chinese people can not understand cantonese also some words are very near. Like Sifu (cantonese western notation) and Shifu (mandarin western notation). So it is the same with names: Liu Chia Liang ( cantonese ) - Lau Kar Leung ( mandarin ). The western notation comes from the pronunciation - cantonese or mandarin.

Hope that helps you to understand.

Just a little rectification : Liu Chia Liang is Mandarin and Lau Kar Leung is Cantonese.

• Like 8

I'm still waiting for my copy of Ricky Oh from Zavvi. other Italians who have ordered it on Amazon.uk have already received it. they didn't even give me the tracking number. Purchased on September 17th.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Just a little rectification : Liu Chia Liang is Mandarin and Lau Kar Leung is Cantonese.

Sorry you are right !!! My mistake.....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AslanBey said:

No, It's not a dumb question.  At least you're not ignorant about unlike some people are.

• Like 4

88 getting a bit of stick elsewhere over the availability of Story Of Ricky. They've moved warehouses so there was a delay in listing this as available on their website, Amazon etc got stock first. They finally put up their copies earlier and it sold out in less than an hour,seems plenty missed out who were probably hoping to use reward points. I love 88 but they do seem a bit haphazard with pre-orders from their site.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I received an email today saying that they are ready for the two category III movies as a Deluxe release and to get them as soon as possible because they go very quickly...

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

And the day after I posted about The flag of iron delay, I received a message from amazon telling me that it will be released on the 2 or 3rd of December...

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

88 have commented over at BD.Com, going to be more delays to th Shaw titles, looks like Feb and March next year now for most of them.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

88 have commented over at BD.Com, going to be more delays to th Shaw titles, looks like Feb and March next year now for most of them.

Yes, I received a message yesterday or the day before, telling me that Flag of iron will be released around the 14th of February, and the day after, they said "great news, it will be released earlier that expected"...on the 10th of February...:bs_laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's seriously frustrating to get a copy of Story of Ricky without paying the highway robbery shipping fees or getting extorted on ebay. I'm on the waiting list at diabolik but it goes out of stock almost immediately after getting notified. Thank god that 88films is planning on printing 2000 more copies due to the overwhelming response for this title.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It's seriously frustrating to get a copy of Story of Ricky without paying the highway robbery shipping fees or getting extorted on ebay. I'm on the waiting list at diabolik but it goes out of stock almost immediately after getting notified. Thank god that 88films is planning on printing 2000 more copies due to the overwhelming response for this title.

It's a strange release, i was waiting for 88 to put it up before ordering, eventually i ordered from Amazon the Friday before release day and it arrived on the Monday. I also believe HMV have not yet sent out their pre-orders citing they haven't had stock yet, but i'm hearing that copies are/have been available in some HMV stores.Must have a look in my local store.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4

I am still waiting for my copy from Zavvi for Italy sent on September 17th, while there are other people in Germany who bought it later, on amazon.uk and it arrived immediately. untraceable shipping, Great

• Like 2

Some1 who played henchman of Michiko Nishiwaki in Outlaw brothers "leaked" 88 films has plan to release it. Hopefully it happens, while movie has bit too much comedy in action it certainly delivers.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 3