The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I received a message from amazon yesterday telling me that Flag won't be released as expected and they don't know the future release date as yet...:bs_firey:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I received a message from amazon yesterday telling me that Flag won't be released as expected and they don't know the future release date as yet...:bs_firey:

29th November according to the below

https://cityonfire.com/arrow-films-will-soon-be-releasing-shaw-brothers-titles-to-blu-ray-and-dvd-but-which-ones/#more-114053

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Thanks, but I was talking about the 88 release, not the Arrow one and Thanks good news regarding this latter, thanks for mentioning it !

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks, but I was talking about the 88 release, not the Arrow one and Thanks good news regarding this latter, thanks for mentioning it !

41 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Stupid me ! I should have taken a look to your link before replying, I was mistaken due to what was written in the link !

Well, it seems that November will create a gigantic hole in my wallet  ! :monk_laughing:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, spannick said:

Tiger Cage 1, 2 and Line of Duty 1, 2, 3, 4 are currently being restored in 2k by Fortune Star and they are pre-sold to UK and Germany already ;)   (Hapkido and Magnificent Warriors also)

WOW! I can only hope The Blonde Fury,Righting Wrongs and She shoots Straight aren't far behind for Fortune Star

I hope such good news comes for those 3 above and Angel,Killer Angels,Beauty Investigator and Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon as well hopefully their right holders are willing to make a deal

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

WOW! I can only hope The Blonde Fury,Righting Wrongs and She shoots Straight aren't far behind for Fortune Star

I hope such good news comes for those 3 above and Angel,Killer Angels,Beauty Investigator,Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon and Outlaw Brothers as well hopefully their right holders are willing to make a deal

Blonde Fury is licenced to German in HD from Fortune Star, yeah forgot to mention it.

there are real Girls with Guns licenced for Germany, but no masters arrived yet so no titles will be told for now...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, spannick said:

Blonde Fury is licenced to German in HD from Fortune Star, yeah forgot to mention it.

there are real Girls with Guns licenced for Germany, but no masters arrived yet so no titles will be told for now...

hmm I wonder if The Blonde Fury will have an english dub option once released well thanks for the good news though I can only hope those on my list will be secured by Eureka and possibly 88 since Eureka is releasing girls with guns next year though what a start with In the Line of Duty 1-4 I assume they will have their eyes on Angel as well since its so well known

• Like 3

@spannick as you learn more about the specs for the German HD release of The Blonde Fury please post further updates I am kind of sad that Eureka or 88 aren't releasing it but I hope I can still purchase it somehow and that it will have an english dub option

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

@spannick as you learn more about the specs for the German HD release of The Blonde Fury please post further updates I am kind of sad that Eureka or 88 aren't releasing it but I hope I can still purchase it somehow and that it will have an english dub option

I asked around the last days and it's coming to DVD only, no brand new HD Master yet, i was wrong. it's in the queue for restoration AFTER the ones i mentioned before, which can take quite a while for now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spannick said:

I asked around the last days and it's coming to DVD only, no brand new HD Master yet, i was wrong. it's in the queue for restoration AFTER the ones i mentioned before, which can take quite a while for now.

Ah so it too is being restored thats great to hear I hope it will include an english dub option hopefully I will be able to find a site to buy it should it include a dub I hope you will have more great news going forward luckily for Fortune Star the only other I have on to upgrade list is Righting Wrongs which I assume is in the quene as well not sure about She Shoots Straight if it will be planned in the future or if those 5 you mentioned will be it for Fortune Star's contribution to girls with guns releases and so will The Blonde Fury get a 2K restored Blu ray then and is it still a German only release or is it to be sold to the UK as well 

but Angel,Killer Angels,Beauty Investigator and Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon are all held by other rights holders so I am hopeful those get restored or remastered and Eureka or 88 or both can make a deal to acquire the distribution rights to them I think Angel,Killer Angels and Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon are all held by Tai Seng but I could be wrong but I am pretty sure New Treasurer Films LTD owns Beauty Investigator

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spannick said:

Spannick are you aware of any old school kung fu movies coming out in Germany? There's been a few this year, hopefully more to come.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Spannick are you aware of any old school kung fu movies coming out in Germany? There's been a few this year, hopefully more to come.

what i know of not many currently, most are working on the modern day HK movies which were licenced for some time now.

https://ssl.ofdb.de/film/38975,Bruce-Lee---Er-bleibt-der-Größte

this is coming

• Like 5

On 9/22/2021 at 8:27 PM, WaverBoy said:

Word is that the video rights to HARD-BOILED, A BETTER TOMORROW 1-3, THE KILLER and BULLET IN THE HEAD aren’t available outside Asia. The rights holders just aren’t interested. Same for the CHINESE GHOST STORY trilogy.

I have high hopes for this UHD box set of Chinese Ghost Story but we'll see. If nothing else, the packaging sure looks nice.

https://mediapsychos.com/topic/17264-a-chinese-ghost-story-trilogy-uhd-club-dp-digipak-hardbox-blu-ray-china/

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I have high hopes for this UHD box set of Chinese Ghost Story but we'll see. If nothing else, the packaging sure looks nice.

https://mediapsychos.com/topic/17264-a-chinese-ghost-story-trilogy-uhd-club-dp-digipak-hardbox-blu-ray-china/

I'm confused. Since it's UHD - are these new scans? The packaging looks nice. 

ChGS is one of those trilogies that just begs for a good restoration and a boxset packed with extras. :(

(but yeah, not sure I want to constantly watch out for limited runs of 300 copies of a set that's possibly nicer visually, but knowing nothing about features otherwise)

• Like 3

@spannick based on your responses more girls with guns are coming and Fortune Star has more in the restoration queue and We could see other girls with guns releases besides Fortune Stars in the near future I hope they are acquired by UK distributors and I hope with the new announcement that The Blonde Fury will be sold to UK distributors as well not sure how many to expect but I am hoping to see several hopefully release in 2022 I hope the other 3 girls with guns films not owned by fortune star are currently being restored as well

• Like 2

1 minute ago, actionfan93 said:

@spannick based on your responses more girls with guns are coming and Fortune Star has more in the restoration queue and We could see other girls with guns releases besides Fortune Stars in the near future I hope they are acquired by UK distributors and I hope with the new announcement that The Blonde Fury will be sold to UK distributors as well not sure how many to expect but I am hoping to see several hopefully release in 2022 I hope the other 3 girls with guns films not owned by fortune star are currently being restored as well

yeah the upcoming Girls with Guns are not from Fortune Star... i can't wait to get the news either, but HK is sooo sloooooow it's really unbearable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spannick said:

yeah the upcoming Girls with Guns are not from Fortune Star... i can't wait to get the news either, but HK is sooo sloooooow it's really unbearable.

well I will be hoping for those 3 then I really would find it hard to believe either Eureka or 88 would not try to get the rights to Angel at least too well known but I do think theres a good chance Angel,Killer angels and Beauty investigator could be among the upcoming girls with guns releases so I assume In the line of duty 1-4,Tiger Cage 1-2 and The Blonde fury won't release to the UK till after 2022 depending on when they started the process and hopefully Righting Wrongs is right there with them

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jan Pospisil said:

I'm confused. Since it's UHD - are these new scans? The packaging looks nice. 

ChGS is one of those trilogies that just begs for a good restoration and a boxset packed with extras. :(

(but yeah, not sure I want to constantly watch out for limited runs of 300 copies of a set that's possibly nicer visually, but knowing nothing about features otherwise)

yes, sorry I left out club after UHD lol. I meant the label UHD Club not that these are UHD discs. I actually meant to say " I don't have high hopes" for this box set but the packaging at least looks nice. They're known for their extravagant packaging like the wooden box Kung Fu Hustle. Guess I had a few too many watching UFC 266 last night before posting. :monk_laughing:

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, Yihetuan said:

If they aren’t upscaled, and if they have the original mono tracks in proper synch, I’m interested. That is, if I’d be able to score one of that extremely limited number, which I doubt.

• Like 3

• Administrator

News on some upcoming 88 Films Shaw Brothers titles...

I got to create some "Venom Clan" action with this cover art for 88 Films' upcoming release of THE FLAG OF IRON (1980, aka. THE SPEARMAN OF DEATH) and I loved every minute of it! This Blu-ray will be released in both the USA and the UK. As most of you probably already know, it's a terrifically entertaining film with tons of kung fu action, outrageous acrobatics, and lots of bloody mayhem and weapons insanity. I joked with my son and said that "during the action scenes the fighters are aerial for about 20% of the time"!

Here are details for the upcoming releases...

88 Films: The Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China Detailed for Blu-ray
Posted September 13, 2021

British label 88 Films has detailed its upcoming Blu-ray releases of The Flag of Iron (1980) and Legendary Weapons of China (1982). The two releases will be available for purchase in the United Kingdom and the United States this October.

Legendary Weapons of China

Description: When the former member of a failing magical kung fu order threatens to destroy the remaining group's reputation through his loud mouth insults and defamatory behaviour, an elite band of killers is dispatched to silence him forever.

Though perhaps the golden age of martial cinema had been and gone, this late entry wuxia style film from The Shaw Brothers house of dreams was still able to pack a powerful punch. Written, directed and starring Chia-Liang Liu (The Spiritual Boxer, Spiritual Boxer II), this gloriously fast-paced drama which entertainingly mixes swordplay with hand to hand combat in a fabulously furious rollicking adventure weaves its own special kind of magic.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

RESTORED IN THE ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO OF 2.39:1
Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
Newly translated English subtitles
Audio Commentary by Mike LEeder and Arne Venema
Eighteen Weapons - David West on Legendary Weapons of China
Reversible sleeve with brand-new artwork from R.P. "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien & Original Hong Kong poster artwork
Slipcase with brand-new artwork from R.P. "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien
Double-Sided A3 Foldout Poster
Extensive Booklet Notes "A Strange Call to Arms - Revisiting the Odd Landscape of Chia-Liang Liu's Early 80s Martial Arts Flick, The Legendary Weapons of China (1982)" by Andrew Graves
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

The Flag of Iron

Description: Another cult classic from the Shaw Brothers Studio, The Flag of Iron is a quintessential Hong Kong tale of rivals, betrayal and family feuds. When the master of the Iron Flag clan is killed by a mysterious assassin known only as Spearman, it sets off an explosive chain of events which pits two brothers against each other in an action-packed adventure of fist flying fury.

Directed by Chan Cheh (The One-Armed Swordsman, Five Venoms), this kinetic and highly influential Kung Fu picture, mixes traditional storytelling with more modern presentation techniques, layering acrobatics, the use exotic weaponry and quick as lightening fight sequences to produce a sure fire entertaining hit, which no serious collector of martial arts movies can be without.

Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
Extensive Booklet Notes "Red and Black Attack Unfurling the Fury of Cheh Chang's Gloriously Inventive Martial Arts Masterwork, The Flag of Iron (1980)" by Andrew Graves
AND MORE...
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

The artwork for LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA will be revealed soon.

FLAG OF IRON 88 FILMS COVER242447292_5030434730306429_7274994001584137925_n.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I got to create some "Venom Clan" action with this cover art for 88 Films' upcoming release of THE FLAG OF IRON (1980, aka. THE SPEARMAN OF DEATH) and I loved every minute of it! This Blu-ray will be released in both the USA and the UK. As most of you probably already know, it's a terrifically entertaining film with tons of kung fu action, outrageous acrobatics, and lots of bloody mayhem and weapons insanity. I joked with my son and said that "during the action scenes the fighters are aerial for about 20% of the time"!

British label 88 Films has detailed its upcoming Blu-ray releases of The Flag of Iron (1980) and Legendary Weapons of China (1982). The two releases will be available for purchase in the United Kingdom and the United States this October.

Description: When the former member of a failing magical kung fu order threatens to destroy the remaining group's reputation through his loud mouth insults and defamatory behaviour, an elite band of killers is dispatched to silence him forever.

Though perhaps the golden age of martial cinema had been and gone, this late entry wuxia style film from The Shaw Brothers house of dreams was still able to pack a powerful punch. Written, directed and starring Chia-Liang Liu (The Spiritual Boxer, Spiritual Boxer II), this gloriously fast-paced drama which entertainingly mixes swordplay with hand to hand combat in a fabulously furious rollicking adventure weaves its own special kind of magic.

Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
Reversible sleeve with brand-new artwork from R.P. "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien & Original Hong Kong poster artwork
Extensive Booklet Notes "A Strange Call to Arms - Revisiting the Odd Landscape of Chia-Liang Liu's Early 80s Martial Arts Flick, The Legendary Weapons of China (1982)" by Andrew Graves
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

The Flag of Iron

Description: Another cult classic from the Shaw Brothers Studio, The Flag of Iron is a quintessential Hong Kong tale of rivals, betrayal and family feuds. When the master of the Iron Flag clan is killed by a mysterious assassin known only as Spearman, it sets off an explosive chain of events which pits two brothers against each other in an action-packed adventure of fist flying fury.

Directed by Chan Cheh (The One-Armed Swordsman, Five Venoms), this kinetic and highly influential Kung Fu picture, mixes traditional storytelling with more modern presentation techniques, layering acrobatics, the use exotic weaponry and quick as lightening fight sequences to produce a sure fire entertaining hit, which no serious collector of martial arts movies can be without.

Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
Extensive Booklet Notes "Red and Black Attack Unfurling the Fury of Cheh Chang's Gloriously Inventive Martial Arts Masterwork, The Flag of Iron (1980)" by Andrew Graves
AND MORE...
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

Boommmm...awesome. definitive purchase for me.

I'm not an expert, so: is "Chia liang liu" "Lau-kar leung"?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

The Flag of Iron

Audio:
English LPCM Mono
Mandarin LPCM Mono 2.0
AND MORE...
REGION A/B "LOCKED"

I read "available in the UK and USA", but I guess that 88 won't do as earlier and ship worldwide !

• Like 3
  • Confused 1