The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

6 hours ago, saltysam said:

Legendary Weapons Of China & Flag Of Iron will be mine October 25th.

Me too. Also looking forward to Mad Monkey Kung fu and Shaolin Mantis. Excited to see what the @KUNG FU BOB artwork will look like for these new titles. Although I do like the original poster artwork as well and it's a nice option to reverse the sleeves if one chooses to do that.

88.jpg

Mad-Monkey.jpg

• Like 7

Can anybody remember the Monkey Kung Fu trailer on the Made In Hong Kong VHS of Drunken Master and SITES? Hope it can be included. Really liked those trailers.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

13 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Another November steelbook…

7E6593BF-E0FA-45D3-AA6C-2E8888C13986.jpeg

Jet Li...Yeeeeessssss !!

I watched this movie many years ago in French or French subtitles, but I don't remember if I had liked it as much as I loved his wuxias or martial arts movies. But if I can, I'll buy it, this kind of blue color is my favorite one and I love this cover !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Jet Li...Yeeeeessssss !!

I watched this movie many years ago in French or French subtitles, but I don't remember if I had liked it as much as I loved his wuxias or martial arts movies. But if I can, I'll buy it, this kind of blue color is my favorite one and I love this cover !

I'll get it, but not a fan of the film really. Would've preferred Kiss of the Dragon out of his western movies.

• Like 5

I'll be passing on the Jet Li title but in for all the Shaws and Armour Of God.Hope either 88 or Arrow can get hold of Mad Monkey Kung Fu.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

I'll get it, but not a fan of the film really. Would've preferred Kiss of the Dragon out of his western movies.

Think i'll pass on The One definitely would've preferred Kiss of the Dragon too.

• Like 4

Never watched The One. I know what it is about but somehow I couldnt watch it. I was ready to purchase it but just saw the prices on amazon... now I think that i have to think twice considering all the releases at the same time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rubber John said:

I need a little bit of clarification...

Are Monkey Kung Fu and Mad Monkey Kung Fu the same film?

Different movies.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rubber John said:

No.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
4 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Rewatched The One a few months back.... was surprised it sucked way worse than I remembered.

I did the same. It’s awful.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I did the same. It’s awful.

I was just browsing the 88 Films facebook comments and I really hope that they haven't made a costly misstep with this release as there was quite a bit of negativity. Many were pointing out that £30 for a poor movie that's been available on blu ray at a budget price for ages would be one to avoid especially as there is so much good stuff coming.

• Like 4

Yes, the way physical media is these days i just don't see 88 shifting 2000 steelbooks of The One at at £30 a pop.However there are steelbook fanatics out there who buy for the steel not the movie so maybe they are relying on that. I sold on my standard blu of The One years ago.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rubber John said:

They're different movies, released the same year by Shaw Brothers. And just for clarification's sake, Monkey Kung Fu (1979) is also a separate movie from Monkey Kung Fu (1980) also known as Monkey Fist Floating Snake. Also Monkey Kung Fu (1979) was retitled Stroke of Death for its US release. However, an old trailer for Five Superfighters (1979) also chose Stroke of Death as its English title despite being entirely separate movies (both from Shaw Brothers, starring Kwan Fung).

Just putting this all out there since I was horribly confused about the same question a few years ago. :laugh

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

They're different movies, released the same year by Shaw Brothers. And just for clarification's sake, Monkey Kung Fu (1979) is also a separate movie from Monkey Kung Fu (1980) also known as Monkey Fist Floating Snake. Also Monkey Kung Fu (1979) was retitled Stroke of Death for its US release. However, an old trailer for Five Superfighters (1979) also chose Stroke of Death as its English title despite being entirely separate movies (both from Shaw Brothers, starring Kwan Fung).

Just putting this all out there since I was horribly confused about the same question a few years ago. :laugh

Great clarification. Thanks.
I'm sure that will help out a few of us.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, saltysam said:

Different movies.

I made the same mistake in my earlier post as I had Monkey Kung Fu on my brain but typed Mad Monkey Kung Fu. It was wishful thinking on my part as I much prefer Mad Monkey Kung Fu get the 88 Films treatment. Monkey Kung Fu was okay but it didn't have the polish that I expect from a Shaw production. It almost felt like an indie in comparison. But it's still my 2nd fave John Ma movie after Five Superfighters which isn't saying much as John Ma directed some really forgettable movies for Shaw studios. Maybe we'll get a Five Superfighters release down the road.

• Like 5

With all of yesterday's 88 Films announcements,

I made a PT2 video to a wee video series I've been doing collating all the (mostly) Asian Blu Ray releases coming out between Aug-Dec, the second part is almost entirely 88 Films details ( with a few Third Window releases in between them)

Some clips from the new Armour of God trailer and from the openings of Legendary Weapons of China, Flag of Iron and Shaolin Mantis to help break up my ramblings.

Anyone interested can watch it here:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Maybe we'll get a Five Superfighters release down the road.

It surely will.One of my favourites.Sacred Knives Of Vengeance is a huge want as well.

• Like 4

ZenkaigerBat

As much as I'm happy to see more Jet Li flim's getting released. I'm hoping someday The Shaolin Temple flim's can be released along with Tai-Chi Master, The Fong Sai Yuk flim's and Fist of Legend.

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 2

sifu iron perm

I would welcome a release of fist of legend, the best version I saw was the international export eng dub on vhs. Didn't like the miramax cut. 

• Like 8

ZenkaigerBat
9 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

I would welcome a release of fist of legend, the best version I saw was the international export eng dub on vhs. Didn't like the miramax cut. 

I know what you're talking about and I've only seen it once. I currently have the taiwanese cut of the flim.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

As much as I'm happy to see more Jet Li flim's getting released. I'm hoping someday The Shaolin Temple flim's can be released along with Tai-Chi Master, The Fong Sai Yuk flim's and Fist of Legend.

It would be awesome when this happened. Especially fongsaiyuk and taichi. And also the one with the little kid in ancient china ( legend of the red dragon??? Legend of shaolin???)

Are there any current nice releases of fongsaiyuk?

• Like 3