Cherry 2021 - Tom Holland (Russo Brothers/AppleTV+)

laagi

Surprised this didn't already have its own thread. Kind of difficult to put down how I feel about this movie. As far as the sheer scope goes it does have that Russo touch. Feels like it should be on the big screen. Also Tom Hollands performance is good probably even great and that's coming from someone who's not a fan of his at all. There's some outstanding parts while others seem to be a bit of a drag. Supporting cast was okay. Also I was put off a few times by the voice over but nothing too bad. Not sure what it was but overall the movie is trying too hard to be overly dramatic. I don't think I've seen a main character (lately) cry this much thru an entire movie. Also I could see that most viewers might be put off by it. It's not mainstream enough and at the same time also not indie enough... Does that make any sense? In the end I'm stuck with a movie that despite all its flaws some how still had me captivated for most of its 150 minutes runtime. It's a nice showcase for sure for Holland. Maybe also to push his career outside of the Marvel universe. Which I think we can all agree upon is really hard to shake off. Curse and blessing.

• Like 1