The Paper Tigers (2021) - Alain Uy, Ron Yuan, Mykel Shannon Jenkins, Roger Yuan, Matthew "Master Ken" Page

AlbertV

Originally starting as a proof of concept, and a crowdfunded project, writer-director Tran Quoc Bao's long awaited martial arts comedy The Paper Tigers is coming out on May 7 from Well Go USA. The film stars Alain Uy, Mykel Shannon Jenkins, and Ron Yuan as a trio of kung fu students who reunite after 25 years to avenge the death of their Sifu, but their age has caught up to them. Co-stars former Power Ranger brothers Yoshi and Peter Sudarso and Gui DaSilva as their younger versions. Martial Club's Andy and Brian Le, Matthew "Master Ken" Page, Ken Quitugua and Yuji Okumoto (who also produced) co-star.  

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 8

Looks like something I can relate to as far as their age catching up to them lol. Seems like it will be a fun flick, looking forward to it as well!

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

This is genuinely one of the most enjoyable movies I’ve seen this year. It offers a whole lot of heart, some pretty great laughs and a pretty sweet action scene here and there.

While this is a kung fu movie through and through, the action is not the focal point. It’s more of a lighthearted story about brotherhood. Each of the three tigers shines in their own special way and Matthew Page completely steals the show. It’s nice to see Andy Le and Brian Le of Martial Club too, even if they are essentially playing themselves.

I had a smile on my face from start to finish. I highly recommend supporting this one and giving it a rental or a purchase.

• Like 8

Great piece of entertainment,it’s just fun from start to finish.I can relate to many parts of the film especially the bad knee and getting old thing.Highly recommended.👍👍👍👍

Edited by sym8
  • Like 6

What a fun little movie. Has its heart at the right spot. Nothing fancy but definitely a great watch for the average joe of Kung Fu fandom. Something one can easily relate to. Especially if you use to train and then kind of lost your way (looking in the mirror). Also really funny at times. I wouldn't mind to spend some more time on the screen with these three tigers. Recommended!

• Like 5

A guy I'm in a somewhat small movie discord server on worked on this and had me excited when I found out it was a Martial Arts movie. Picked it up blindly as I had no way to go 40 minutes to see a movie when it got a limited release in theaters. Story about a trio of friends who secretly trained in a garage in the 90s of a cook who taught them kung fu. Fast forward to present day and they're mostly out of shape, barely remember their kung fu and most have forgotten just how amazing they are. The comedy works well with them having untimely injuries, or getting their asses handed to them by guys they used to beat the crap out of easily. Good revenge story too after their teacher is killed at the start of the movie. Highly recommend picking it up!

• Like 4

Thanks to this site I got to know this film, never heard about it before on any other site or publication.

It starts kind of slow and the first half hour I wasn’t feeling it but once you get to know the characters it grows on you. Carter was fun and I was rooting for him, his smugness was so deserved lol, very funny as well. Fight scenes are well done, story is fine though I was more interested in the family dynamics than the actual revenge mystery. I personally think Danny’s advice for his kid to punch the bully has hard as you can is spot on. Sometimes you just have to do the wrong thing to be right ;-)

Glad to see Bruce Lee still gets referenced in these kind of films. The man is immortal. 

thanks kung fu fandom!

• Like 5

Wow! It's been a long while since I enjoyed a MA film that much! What a great film. Such a great bittersweet aftertaste

Watching all those MA films and getting into MA back in the late 80s, early 90s and now, being in my 50s, this film really hits all the right spots for me

I think every MA fan should watch it. Can't praise it enough

(PS Master Ken stole every scene he was in. So glad he got a chance to shine)

• Like 6

Watched this last night, it was quite good. Like what laagi said, if you used to train kung fu (or still are), there are a ton of things to relate to in here. The writing is very good and Ron Yuan was hilarious. Fight scenes were good but not amazing, but I wasn't really expecting them to be. Highly recommended overall though, a complete package.

• Like 4

I also recently watched this and was very pleasantly surprised. Thought it was a nice mix of comedic drama and nostalgia. So glad that director Bao Tran didn't bow down to Hollywood and kept to his vision. Can you imagine this film if Hollywood had their way "whitewashing" this film and cast Nicholas Cage or Bruce Willis in the lead role?! It would have none of the charm of this indie production.

• Like 3