Infernal Affairs

Guest chuckd

Looking for opinions for which is the better version/ release of this film.

I've been wanting to see this film since I read about it in my Hollywood East book but after seeing the Departed I REALLY want to see it.

Is the american dvd ok to get or is the HK dvd better. Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man

Don't get the American DVD. Harvey Wesintein made up the subtitles on it like he did for Hero and Iron Monkey.

The best bet to get is the Tartan UK box set of the entire trilogy.

Has almost all the extras from the HK releases translated in English. :)

Guest kungfusamurai

I wouldn't spend too much money on the film. Perhaps I would have liked it better had I watched it before The Departed. I found it too jerky and jumpy and stuff was in there that didn't make sense. Also, looking out for all of the similarities between IA and Departed might become distracting after a while. IA2 was better, if somewhat formulaic.

*Hard Boiled Spoiler*

I recently watched Hard Boiled after not having watched it for several years, and I thought it was funny that Tony Leung played the same character in both HB and IA. There was even a scene in both films where he's talking to the one senior police person who knows he's undercover, and they both give him some kind of gift!

KFS

Guest The Running Man

I didn't think IA1 was anything great either, but I feel it's superior to The Departed which I wasn't expecting to be so subpar.

IA2 is better than IA1 and the best film of the 3...but it is not formulaic in the least.

Thanks. I figured that the shitsteins would be up to their usual shennanigans but I had to ask.

At this point I'm pretty much obsessed with aquiring the film so it's too late to turn back now but it did get kicked lower down in the priority thanks to your info.

Again, thanks for the help!

Guest gfanikf

You may want to wait for IA 2 and IA 3 which are slated for a Dragon Dynasty release in Feb and see how those turn out, they may have original extras besides what the Tartan and HK ones have (I would love an Eric Tsang interview myself). I would agree about a different DVD for IA thought.

Personally I cant wait to see the specs as I love IA2 and recently sold mine and of course regretted it. So this is pretty good timing (of course assuming the DD release isnt fubared somehow)

Archived