Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2022) - Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Rege-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, Sophie Lillis

AlbertV

A new film adaptation of the classic RPG board game Dungeons and Dragons is coming courtesy of the duo of Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley. Plot details are under wraps, but officially cast are Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Rege-Jean Page, Sophie Lillis, and Hugh Grant as the film's central villain, Forge Fletcher.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/hugh-grant-is-dungeons-dragons-villain/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

image_2022_04_21_123802189.0.png

Official title has been revealed. Chris Pine talked about the tone of the film:

"We had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's '80s heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who f***ing knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

They need to make Dungeons & Dragons films dark and adult, not lighthearted and funny. I know there’s a lot of comedy when people get together and play (some of my biggest laughs we’re had playing D&D) but comedy fantasy films rarely work. Just look at Your Highness.

• Like 2

Well, it looks better than the last few attempts, but I still don't see it being all that good. Looks like any other generic, High Fantasy film that has been made for the last 20-30 years. If you want a good D&D Adventure, just go watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy(Which was a major influence on early D&D). 

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

As a past DnD player, I’m weirdly interested in this. I wanted dark but they went super light and leaned into actual DnD lore. It looks like it could be fun.

• Like 4

There are so many stories and characters in D&D that this is clearly something they are looking to make into a multiple release series. I agree with preferring it to be dark, but then the sentiment would probably be that they were simply a crappy version of LOTR. I hope it turns out for the best, could be fun if they really tap into the game terminology and monster manuals.

• Like 4

Honestly? This is hands down the most fun I've had at the cinema this year (I'm not counting John Wick 4 as that may have been the most fun I've had in a cinema in any year, not just this one!), and I speak as someone who has never played, and actually has little interest in, D&D. I actually went to see it because every interview I've seen with the cast is absolutely delightful, they are all funny and don't take themselves seriously at all, least of all Hugh Grant. That same ethos can be seen in the film. The script made me laugh a lot, and Michelle Rodriguez gets several fight scenes to be an absolute badass, which is all filmed with a smooth fluidity.

• Like 2