Billy Lo vs Steiner- but not terrible

Josh Baker

I cut out all the shots of Kim Tai Chung's face and replaced the Bruce Lee cutaways with shots that match better. Does this make this nightmare of a fight scene any better? Just an editing experiment to see if I could improve it

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 7

I re-watched the original(Been a while since I've watch this movie) and this one back to back, and it is defiantly an improvement. I found myself better able to suspended my disbelief, when I wasn't seeing the other actor's face every other scene. lol Good job.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Killer Meteor said:

It's interesting how in this fight, they suddenly stopped worrying about showing Kim's face full-on.

I've never understood this and showed just how uninterested Clouse was in respectfully completing Lee's film. There isnt really any logical rationale apart from Clouse couldn't be bothered to film around Kim's face. 

I modeled my edit on the locker room fight as it's the only effective example in the film of dynamically using camera angles to hide Kim's face yet still keep the energy up. 

The sequence is also weirdly lethargic and goes on for too long; Steiner getting a lucky punch in on the tired Billy Lo seemed more credible than a full on poorly covered fight sequence. 

• Like 4

On 2/28/2021 at 12:19 AM, DarthKato said:

I re-watched the original(Been a while since I've watch this movie) and this one back to back, and it is defiantly an improvement. I found myself better able to suspended my disbelief, when I wasn't seeing the other actor's face every other scene. lol Good job.

Thank you very much sir!✌

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

PS, O'Brien was 53 when he filmed Game of Death. It's sort of a testament to his fitness that you would expect more, especially back then when 50 was considered fairly old and most people that age would simply quit any vigorous exercise.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

O'Brien seems to have avoided the booze that affected other Western veterans.

On the other hand, poor Dean Jagger seems to have escaped from Springfield Retirement Castle. The shot of him trying to climb onto the fire escape at the end is alarming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

O'Brien seems to have avoided the booze that affected other Western veterans.

On the other hand, poor Dean Jagger seems to have escaped from Springfield Retirement Castle. The shot of him trying to climb onto the fire escape at the end is alarming.

Was that even Dean Jagger? Im pretty sure that was Yuen Wah or Yuen Kwai in a bald cap, I've seen pictures of them doubling for Dean Jagger on set.

Dean Jagger did seem to age rapidly like a lot of old men in the 70s. I saw him in an episode of Columbo from 1972, and he looks a lot more lucid and fresher faced- just south of middle age- in five years hes transformed into quite a doddering old man it seems.

I always thought he was miscast in the role of Dr. Land anyway, just isn't threatening enough in the role. They may as well have written him out and made Steiner the main villain to be honest, Hugh O Brian is the highlight of the Clouse footage in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Jagger is very good as Caine's grandfather in Kung Fu.

It's funny - Jagger had a long career, with Oscars to boot, and yet the only films I've seen with him are Revolt of the Zombies (1936), X The Unknown (1956) and Game of Death (1978)

• Like 2