Blue Beetle (2023) - Xolo Mariduena, George Lopez, Susan Sarandon, Harvey Guillen

AlbertV

scarface-remake-scribe-pens-blue-beetle-

Angel Miguel Soto has signed on to direct a film adaptation of the DC comic character Blue Beetle. The film will focus on the 3rd incarnation of the character, Mexican-American teenager Jaime Reyes, who is given superpowers after a scarab grafts itself onto Jaime's spine and encases him with an armor full of abilities. Gareth Duneth-Alcocer will be writing the screenplay with a fall production start. 

https://www.darkhorizons.com/soto-to-direct-dc-blue-beetle-film/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Not too much of a fan of Blue Beetle. Its not that I dislike him or anything, I just haven't read much of his stuff(Heck, I didn't even know there was more than one. lol). Probably will put this one in the same boat I did with "Shazam": If I find them cheap somewhere, I will pick them up. But I'm not going to go out of my way to get them day one. 

His suit does look pretty sick though. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I’m hoping these direct-to-HBO max movies flesh out the DC universe and deliver on the super hero action front. Titans is proof that you don’t need massive stars and an enormous budget to pull off great fight scenes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Cobra Kai's Miguel Diaz, Xolo Mariduena, has been officially cast as Jaime Reyes, who will become the Blue Beetle. 

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/xolo-mariduena-blue-beetle-hbo-max-1235033632/

Sounds like a cool guy, who is passionate about the role(Always a good sign for a movie). And I agree with what I believe he is saying. That its import for everyone to have good heroes to look up too. All to often now days our youth are looking up to criminals instead of good, law-abiding citizens. So while I am against race-swapping and the like, I do whole-heartily support minority heroes, both new and old, be given some exposer in well written, big budget films(And in the comics themselves, for that matter. But sadly, all to often writers think because there is a minority main character, that they have to start screaming about racism and the like, when they should just be writing a fun comic. Like I said before, I believe most people don't really want to be preached to. We got parents to teach us right from wrong. Its not our fault that some people are raised wrong). 

• Like 2

Some casting updates:

George Lopez is set to play Jaime's Uncle Rudy. Elpidia Carillo will play Jaime's mother. Damian Alcazar will play Jaime's father. Belissa Escobedo will play Jaime's little sister. Bruna Marquezine plays Penny, Jaime's love interest. Sharon Stone will be playing the film's villain, Victoria Kord, a new character whose name is inspired by another "Blue Beetle", Ted Kord. Raoul Trujillo will play Carapax the Indestructible Man. 

Jon Valera (87Eleven Stunt Team) serves as the film's stunt coordinator. 

And more good news...the film will no longer be an HBOMax exclusive, but will actually have a theatrical release on August 18, 2023. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I saw the trailer from a Tokusatsu discord group I'm in. Initially I thought it was going to be naff acting and cheesy special effects but the trailer turned out better than I thought it would be.

Definitely kicks arse!

• Like 1

Just got through watching the trailer on YouTube and I think it looks kind of bleh. Nothing about it really grabbed me. I did like the suit and some of the action scenes, but the characters seem like they are going to be awful. But lets be honest, I'm going to watch it anyways. lol

• Like 1

It has been confirmed that Blue Beetle is the first character of the new DCU. James Gunn confirmed it, but Superman Legacy will be the first official film of the new universe on this video

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 7:07 PM, AlbertV said:

It has been confirmed that Blue Beetle is the first character of the new DCU. James Gunn confirmed it, but Superman Legacy will be the first official film of the new universe on this video

If this is our first taste of their new DCU, then I don't have much faith in what's to come. Not that I had much to begin with. 

• Like 1

Insanely mediocre. I cant believe the rating on rottentomato is good, should be piss poor. 

George lopez is hilarious, but is that really what a superhero movie needs? Drew some comparisons to robert rodriquiz spy kids for me with the mexican family, goofy uncle, cheech marin (as a cheech and chong bobblehead in george lopez truck) big vehicle with bug eyes, gadgets, robotic beetle like in spy kids 2, even had weaponized chewing gum that was big in spy kids 1.   Intentional and inspired by or just a couple coincidences who knows. 

Id consider black adam essential viewing compared to this (which I couldnt wait to leave the theater for). This just felt like ant man all over again. 

I think the blue beetle character design is really cool though. I enjoyed moments. The giant farting beetle vehicle along with some of the raunchy humor felt like such an insult to me as a viewer in its childishness. This movie is made for kids.  I would never recommend anyone see it.     I found the superhero cool enough to check out a sequel of I was bored enough. the villain was horrible though, looking like an armored character from the Doom video game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koravec said:

Insanely mediocre. I cant believe the rating on rottentomato is good, should be piss poor. 

George lopez is hilarious, but is that really what a superhero movie needs? Drew some comparisons to robert rodriquiz spy kids for me with the mexican family, goofy uncle, cheech marin (as a cheech and chong bobblehead in george lopez truck) big vehicle with bug eyes, gadgets, robotic beetle like in spy kids 2, even had weaponized chewing gum that was big in spy kids 1.   Intentional and inspired by or just a couple coincidences who knows. 

Id consider black adam essential viewing compared to this (which I couldnt wait to leave the theater for). This just felt like ant man all over again. 

I think the blue beetle character design is really cool though. I enjoyed moments. The giant farting beetle vehicle along with some of the raunchy humor felt like such an insult to me as a viewer in its childishness. This movie is made for kids.  I would never recommend anyone see it.     I found the superhero cool enough to check out a sequel of I was bored enough. the villain was horrible though, looking like an armored character from the Doom video game.

They need to stop making dumb comedies and start taking their movies seriously. I think Zack Snyder had a solid plan to start with, but the suits screwed it up at every turn. I still enjoyed a handful of what we got, but it kills me to hear what could have been. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed this one quite a lot. Very much a comic book film in that it displays its silliness proudly. For some that will work and for others it won't. The film is a mish mash of Iron Man, Spider Man and Venom (ironic since it's a DC flick) but it balances those components well.

Those that don't like blatant daftness will want to skip it but those that check their brain at the door and like everything comic book worlds have to throw at them should have fun.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I enjoyed this one quite a lot. Very much a comic book film in that it displays its silliness proudly. For some that will work and for others it won't. The film is a mish mash of Iron Man, Spider Man and Venom (ironic since it's a DC flick) but it balances those components well.

Those that don't like blatant daftness will want to skip it but those that check their brain at the door and like everything comic book worlds have to throw at them should have fun.

I watched it over the weekend when it debuted on Max. I have to agree. I enjoyed this one a lot. I felt it was a solid DC entry. I like that the whole family gets involved with helping our titular hero with George Lopez bringing his trademark humor as Uncle Rudy and Adriana Barraza as Nana in the third act was quite a surprise. Raoul Trujillo was awesome as Carapax. I remember seeing him in his second film, Scanners II: The New Order, and I knew he would be a good villain actor and this film solidified that. 

I know at some point we will see Blue Beetle return in the new DCU (as James Gunn confirmed it with Xolo returning)...I would definitely look forward to it.