Trying to find the name of a movie

drwhofan

Question

Hi.  I'm try to find the name of a martial arts movie is saw back in the early eighties on TV.  I only clearly remember a single aspect of the movie.  At one point some students are training and there is a demonstration of coin throwing.  The instructor pinches the coin ( about a silver dollar size) between his two middle fingers of right hand (as i remember) and then smacks the back of his right hand into the palm of his left hand while releasing the coin.  The coin then embeds itself about 1/2 way into a wooden dragon statue in the courtyard.  Does that scene ring a bell with anybody?  i seem to remember that the plot had something to do with a bonded courier with a case chained to his wrist in Hong Kong but i maybe pulling together two pieces from two different movies. Thanks for your help.

• Like 3

6 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, drwhofan said:

Hi.  I'm try to find the name of a martial arts movie is saw back in the early eighties on TV.  I only clearly remember a single aspect of the movie.  At one point some students are training and there is a demonstration of coin throwing.  The instructor pinches the coin ( about a silver dollar size) between his two middle fingers of right hand (as i remember) and then smacks the back of his right hand into the palm of his left hand while releasing the coin.  The coin then embeds itself about 1/2 way into a wooden dragon statue in the courtyard.  Does that scene ring a bell with anybody?  i seem to remember that the plot had something to do with a bonded courier with a case chained to his wrist in Hong Kong but i maybe pulling together two pieces from two different movies. Thanks for your help.

I think the bonded courier film is "That Man Bolt"

• Like 3

as i remember it wasn't  period / historical setting but I'll find a copy and check it out.  i know that the ending is supposed to have a very interesting coin throwing fight.  I'll take a look.  Thanks

• Like 3

I found a preview of the 12 coins film and I don't think that's the one I'm looking for.  There is a ton of coin related mayhem in that movie.  as I remember the coin throwing was only used one other time in the movie ( the demonstration setup to use of the coin as a weapon later on).  Thanks for trying though. 

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 2/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, drwhofan said:

I found a preview of the 12 coins film and I don't think that's the one I'm looking for.  There is a ton of coin related mayhem in that movie.  as I remember the coin throwing was only used one other time in the movie ( the demonstration setup to use of the coin as a weapon later on).  Thanks for trying though. 

There are a lot of movies where coins are a weapon. I mean a lot. While 12 Deadly Coins is dedicated to it, you can find coins thrown in tons of Swordplay movies, such as the Eagles Claw, Mallow Forest, and To Kill A Rover, I've lost track of how many times they throw coins around Taiwanese swordplays.

I tried it once in Chinatown, they had old Chinese coins that were worthless from China before the Communist took over, so, like the movie, I filed the edges. Yeah, I can't throw for shit, but even then they would have stuck in if I was Roger Clemens. I mean there just wouldn't be enough blade, etc, to do damage. Pretty sure Shurikens were only effective if they were dipped in a strong, fast acting poison, or else as a distraction. Even throwing knives are not deadly in most cases. From what I read about Shurikens the idea as to throw a bunch so that they would have a chance to run away. Samurai were much better in a fight then Ninja, who were really just spies who had no allegiance, etc. Kind of like throwing sand in the face, etc.

Someday Kung Fu Robber will finish up with the 16 mm I had transferred, but for now we can enjoy what he did with one of these scenes. At about 4.16 minutes in or so, but you may well watch the whole thing.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
Just now, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

There are a lot of movies where coins are a weapon. I mean a lot. While 12 Deadly Coins is dedicated to it, you can find coins thrown in tons of Swordplay movies, such as the Eagles Claw, Mallow Forest, and To Kill A Rover, I've lost track of how many times they throw coins around Taiwanese swordplays.

I tried it once in Chinatown, they had old Chinese coins that were worthless from China before the Communist took over, so, like the movie, I filed the edges. Yeah, I can't throw for shit, but even then they would not have stuck in even if I was Roger Clemens. I mean there just wouldn't be enough blade, etc, to do damage. Pretty sure Shurikens were only effective if they were dipped in a strong, fast acting poison, or else as a distraction. Even throwing knives are not deadly in most cases. From what I read about Shurikens the idea as to throw a bunch so that they would have a chance to run away. Samurai were much better in a fight then Ninja, who were really just spies who had no allegiance, etc. Kind of like throwing sand in the face, etc.

Someday Kung Fu Robber will finish up with the 16 mm I had transferred, but for now we can enjoy what he did with one of these scenes. At about 4.16 minutes in or so, but you may well watch the whole thing.

• Like 2