Guest moviegyrl

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Agreed.

Dragons Forever.

Feet down.

Project A might be the best overall film in terms of structure, etc., but that was mainly Jackie's baby.

Wheels On Meals was fun and had the showdown between Benny and Jackie that many consider to be JC's best fight ever.

But Dragons Forever was by far the best film to show off the abilities of all three brothers and to do so in an equal fashion.

Everyone gets to shine (although it can be argued that Yuen Biao really had his day here - that probably wouldn't have happened had Jackie been directing - Sammo always seemed to be more generous in that regard).

Also, everyone points to the finale in the drug factory as their finest combined moment, and I tend to agree.

But there's also something really special about that smaller and more lighthearted fight between all three at the apartment all while trying to hide their presence from JC's girl.

Just brilliant, perfectly executed stuff.

Plus the film overall was a whole lot of fun.

Sammo did a great job directing a taut, comic and simultaneously exciting film. The movie just breezes by.

I'd say my only quible would have to be an over-emphasis on the romantic aspects of the plot (not to mention the corny and horribly dated musical interlude. But what're ya gonna do?).

Hey, they had to get the chicks in the seats too, and this was a date flick as much as an actioner.

So yeah, Dragons Forever. No question.

And if Jackie would have ended up in Eastern Condors, probably that instead.

By the way, I saw Dragons Forever as a double feature with Painted Faces.

PERFECT double feature.

Guest Chen Zhen

really?? wow, i loved every bit of Dragons Forever. i personally never liked Project A, ive tried watching it a few times, i found it to be very boring, action aside.

Guest Yakuza954

I've talked about it before, can't find the post, but I think Dragons Forever and Millionare's Express are very shoddy productions aside from the fighting. The fact they were made purely for the Chinese New Year is so obvious.. There are a ton of irrelevant cameos, forced cantonese humor, the scripts feel like they were changed 10 times during filming, and both films have final fights that end abruptly (Yukari Oshima talks about how they had to release Millionare's Express in time for the Chinese Lunar New Year so they couldn't finish the final fight).

Guest Chen Zhen

ah yes, i remember u telling me about the chinese new year thing in the chatroom.....didnt really bother me...nor did i really notice..many Sammo Hung films were loaded with cameros tho.

Guest theportlykicker

Hmm, I'd go with either Project A or Wheels on Meals. Never been a big fan of Dragon's Forever. I've tried to enjoy the action many times, but it just seems too rushed to me. The editing in some instances during the action is really bad, compared to Wheels on Meals and Project A which featured perfect editing during the fight scenes. The only parts I really enjoyed were the comedic fights between between Jackie, Sammo and Biao.

Guest Liu chung liang

Best of the Kung-fu-teers, I would say: Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

Sammo_twinkle.jpg

My Lucky Stars, ....well, I don't enjoy it that much. I feel like I'm watching Stephen Chow's nonsense comedy with this one, and we don't see Jackie a lot.

Winners and Sinners, ...I haven't watched it for years. It's worse than My Lucky Stars. I forgot, but I think Yuen Biao does a special appearance, so the three of them are in this together but it still suck.

Project A, ...should be up there with the best of the 3.

Dragons Forever, ...one of the best I guess, because they do more on camera together.

Wheels on Meals, ...boring, but there is some fun moments, and I find Sammo's character very dull.

Hapkido, ...the 3 of them are in this, but not much of Chan and Biao.

Guest Chinatown Kid

That fight in the Pepsi Factory in Twinkle Twinkle was one of the best pieces of choreography I've ever scene and one of my favorite fight scenes. I especially love when Yuen Biao flips off that crate, does a spinning kick and while only putting one foot on the ground goes straight into a spinning back kick and nails Phillip Ko! Jackie really kicks ass in that scene too taking on multiple opponents and Dick Wei. Awesome choreography!

Guest Beat TG

I choose Dragons Forever as well. I think Sammo surpassed all his previous contemporary movies with this movie IMHO, with Jackie, Sammo and Biao doing various kinds of choreography in different situations which was perfect.

In terms of comedy, I choose Wheels On Meals because the timing between the trio was just incredible. The action could've been in quantity though but yeah, it's a plot-driven (almost) movie so I respect that.

Project A was so-so to me as a movie, the trio didn't get enough screen presence together until last 1/3 of the movie but the stunts and fights were great nonetheless.

Guest kingofkungfu2002
I especially love when Yuen Biao flips off that crate, does a spinning kick and while only putting one foot on the ground goes straight into a spinning back kick and nails Phillip Ko!

twinkle1hf7.gif

Project A. That movie was a blast. I have Wheels On Meals. I found that kinda ehh. I never finished it, but I think I'll give it a spin soon.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for that clip King of Kung Fu, is that Biao light on his feet or what!

I rate Wheels on Meals so highly because it features Jackie's best one on one fight(with Benny) ever imo. I also liked Biao's duel with Kieth Vitali. Dragon's Forever featured a fantastic fight finale but Benny's bout with Chan wasn't as good as WOM. Also, the plot was a bit of a bore to me. Project A was great for the stunts but there just wasn't enough martial arts action to satisfy me so I rank the previous two films higher.

Guest Riceboy2000

If my memory serves me correct, wasn't the Biao vs Keith fight just Biao running/flipping/jumping around away? And he ends up throwing a flower vase or something on his head to knock him out. Maybe I'm missing something.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yes it was, and I liked it. Great acrobatics from Biao and great techniques from Vitali. Biao's fight performance in the finale of DF was better but I like Wheels On Meals better overall. I don't think your missing anything, you just got different preferences than me that's all.

Guest Yi Long

My favourite 3 dragons movie is Dragon's Forever.

It's just a lot of fun, has some very good fights, Yuen Biao is amazing in it, both action-wise as well as comedy-wise.

I agree the Jackie vs. Bennie fight isnt as good as the one in Wheels, but overall the movie has way better action.

Wheels on Meals was OK to me... nothing all too special.

Project A also didnt mean a lot to me. Somehow the setting doesnt do much for me, and I thought Yuen Biao was way underused, and I disliked his character a bit. Sammo's character was great, but again he was underused in the action department.

The clocktower stunt and the bicycle scene were very good though, and some of the humour was fun... but overall I feel it could and should have been better, in terms of the fights.

Havent seen twinkle twinkle...

Did see My Lucky Stars, and hate it. Crap movie.

Guest Egocentrik1

my favies

twinkle twinkle lucky stars good fights and funny

my lucky stars good fights and funny

project a the best out of the 3 dragons flicks

dragons forever i like for sammo and yuen biao..I hate jackie in this..good fights

wheels on meals okayish good fights

Guest Liu chung liang

in twinkle twinkle, they do some of the same comedy stuff they did in the first lucky stars, but it's more refreshing imo, because Rosamund Kwan does a good job on her part. also we see cameos which i think it's cool, and the last fight is fun to watch, because jackie get his ass kick by kurata lol, then sammo takes on him to richard norton.

i got a question on dragons forever.... anyone know the main theme song for that movie? i wanna know the title.

Archived