Arahan (2004)

Guest shaolindogpaw

Guest shaolindogpaw

Thought this movie was great. It started kind of slow but quickly kicked into gear. The storyline was original, the visuals were pretty good and there was a nice mix of comedy and action. It was like watching a semi-gritty Korean manga comic.

The fight scenes in this movie were excellent, especially the final fight between the main bad guy and the hero. Who is that guy who played the villian?

He was ripped like Bruce Lee on steroids!

Guest kingofkungfu2002
Who is that guy who played the villian?

That's Jung Doo Hong, he's probably Korea's best martial arts/stunt co-ordinator at the minute.

If you can, check out 'City Of Violence' :D

Guest jmungus

i love arahan. makes for a great entertaining actioner. popcorn cinema a la south korea.

purists will hate on it, but they should not be comin in to watch a show like arahan with their purist-glasses on in the first place.

city of violence isnt bad either, but beyond any doubt inferior to arahan imo.

ppl who dig house of fury or DTG will have a good time with arahan.

I thought Arahan was an average film since the film has periods where the pacing is too slow before something interesting happens. The best fight scene from this film is the cafe/restaurant fight. It is very well choregraphed with minimal wire work.

Guest kung fu 750

Also Jung Doo Hong (the bad guy in Arahan) was in one of the best Korean martial arts movies EVER

FIghter in the Wind

You must see Fighter in the Wind

Ron from Kansas

Guest The Running Man
I was Arahan was an average film since the film has periods where the pacing is too slow before something interesting happens.

I agree. Film was a disappointment for me.

The best fight scene from this film is the cafe/restaurant fight. It is very well choregraphed with minimal wire work.

It is the best fight in the film, but not for those reasons. The reason it's the best fight in the movie is because it's the only fight that doesn't suffer from bad editing, which the movie's action scenes suffers from almost entirely.

Had been interested in this movie since 2010, so cool that its on Netflix currently. I loved City of Violence, still do. But ultimately passed up on this one probably after hearing the word superhero like in others description of it. Which I was very much not a fan of at the time and trying to stay away from that sort of thing, wires too, in my martial arts movies. That description is partially true as theres two or three scenes of the heroes leaping, nearly flying from buildings. 

However theres one great very jackie chan like hands on fight scene in the smack middle of the movie. Super engrossing fight that had me attuned to, but none after that. The build up to that point is very lackluster and cheesy with tropes of ancient asian legends that verge on the more generic side of that cliche. 

The end fight is pretty great in its own way but didnt hold my focus like the hands on one before, imagine that...typical kung fu fan lol. And, too many cuts. If you have an affinity for dragon tiger gate youll probably love the end fight here as well. Jung Doo Hong even resembles Donnie Yen in DTG or Iceman, which is actually in a similar vein of coming back to life after ancient awakening.

The end fight scene is at least quite interesting setting wise, I couldnt even figure out what it was supposed to be. Maybe Im missing something but its like part steam punk warehouse and sandy flooring dojo. 

• Like 4