Which version/cut of Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain do you prefer? (With Poll)

Omni Dragon

Which version/cut of Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain do you prefer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which version/cut of Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain do you prefer?

• Hong Kong Version Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain
    • Export version Zu Time Warrior

For most Hong Kong movies the international/export edit/cut are generally a shorter version with scenes removed, this is true for Zu's  export version however it also unusually gains new scenes not found in the HK version. It weirdly gains about the same amount of minutes as it loses.

The Eureka Blu-ray running times are:

1h 38m 37s for the HK version

1h 37m 14s for the export version

According to https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=124272:

Comparison between the Export Cut Zu: Time Warriors and the uncut Hongkong original version (both included on the British Blu-ray from Eureka)

144 deviations, including
* 23 re-cuts
* 15x additional material in the export cut
* 10x alternative material

Difference without credits: 1:50 min
* approx. 38 minutes additional material in the original HK version
* approx. 36 minutes additional material in the Export Cut

A few additional master deviations with a duration of less than 0.5 sec each were not listed in the cut report.

I personally prefer the export version as I like what the modern-day scenes add to the story. Eureka compared it to The Wizard of Oz though it's always reminded me of Life on Mars (TV Series 2006-2007). I also prefer the action in modern-day scenes. It's not that I didn't appreciate the fantasy style stuff I just slightly preferred the other stuff.

I've actually watched Zu a few times on the HKL DVD were I would stop/start and guess where the scenes from the export version fit as if I was watching a hybrid version.

• Like 3

Time Warriors was added later, according to the story Told so far. I didn't like it all and will only watch the HK cut. No interest in modern day wrap-around. Takes me out of the story and simplifies it. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente

For the Time Warriors version, perhaps they should have got Yuen Biao to play a writer. This would have been like what later happened with Jet Li's Dr. Wai in The Scripture of No Words (although ironically the international version of that movie dispenses with the modern day stuff).

296907061_5388655154559547_7839131023747972760_n.jpg

• Like 2