Teahouse scenes in kung fu movies without any fighting?

Omni Dragon

Question

It's often said in a jokey way that there was never a teahouse scene in a kung fu movie without a fight. That idea is so embedded in my mind I'm having a hard time thinking of any movie that contradicts that.

• Like 3

7 answers to this question

How about the scene in 5 Venoms where Lo Meng and Kuo Chui are talking about how they should have joined a different clan? I don't remember any violence in that scene.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SunChien said:

How about the scene in 5 Venoms where Lo Meng and Kuo Chui are talking about how they should have joined a different clan? I don't remember any violence in that scene.

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for, but it turns out the waiter tries to swat (hit) away Chiang Sheng (but CS dodges it) because he thinks CS can't pay.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2021 at 1:02 PM, Omni Dragon said:

It's often said in a jokey way that there was never a teahouse scene in a kung fu movie without a fight

While I cant think of many titles at the moment, I'm sure such non action scenes exist. The end of Tiger's Claw, is set in an outisde teahouse/restaurant and no blows are thrown. Seem to recall a few scenes set in a Teahouse from either Dragon Lord or Young Master, that dont feature any fighting.

• Like 3

There was also the scene in Magnificent Ruffians where Chiang Sheng demonstrates his Kung fu and doesn't have to get beaten or pay the bill.

• Like 3

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin has the scene were Gordon Liu's character asks for water in a roadside teahouse before hiding in the monks cart. There's a similar scene in Killer Clans were characters are on the run and quickly stop for water for an injured man at a roadside teahouse.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

I'm gonna save you all some time here.... there's tons of teahouse scenes with no fighting... probably as many as there is WITH fighting. How about this... how many teahouse scenes where they actually drink tea?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

How about this... how many teahouse scenes where they actually drink tea?

Is that rhetorical?

• Like 2