MERCURY MAN now available at ethaicd.com

Guest udar55

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got MERCURY MAN in the mail on Friday and checked out last night. Unfortunately, the film is a bit of a let down. The first hour has no real action in it. The last 40 minutes are pretty good but, sadly, the director edits the fights in horrific fashion.

I uploaded two clips on YouTube to show you what I mean. They use way to many close-ups and seem to cut every second. You don't need 4 fast cuts during a shot of a guy doing a flip. Seriously, it looks like it was edited with a chainsaw (the beginning of clip #1 really highlights this). That seriously takes away from the impact. There are still a few cool moves here and there (like the flying knee at the end of clip #2).

MERCURY MAN nightclub fight:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTVIWyWiRKI

MERCURY MAN warehouse fight (check out the graffiti):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvKvT-H4mls

Guest jmungus
Guest Liu chung liang

:lol ...this is what happens when someone don't have a directors account. they have to split the movie into little parts. but who wants to watch it like that anyway? and the people who do this... i think they're nuts. why even waste time posting the whole movie under 10 minutes until it's finish when you could just post a scene you like? talk about having no life at all.

Guest Chen Zhen

whats the point posting the clips in 10 min increments?

so that ppl dont have to waste their money/downloading time to see that movie....which happens to be crap btw. cant believe panna was part of this doodoo...

Guest jmungus

:\ :lol dont look at me for an answer :x i got them links like that; just did a c&p job from another forum.

why would anybody want to watch a movie (or anything longer than 4, 5 mins) at youtube anyhow ?!?

why does the industry release movies to play on any of that hand-held crap ?

a movie is supposed to look mighty and big and if possible, knock us off our feet with it.

i really do hope that wont ever become a widespread trend (plague).

cant believe panna was part of this doodoo

panna rittikrai is pretty much all about doodoo |I ;)

he will be as long as he wont import knowledge and skills to complement his own strenghts (which are few and far between, considering no movie doesnt consist of just action scenes)

Guest Chen Zhen

i meant the action...the action is crap! i expected more from panna...

theres lots of movies u can watch on youtube, albeit in parts..so i guess u can say the trend already begun.

Guest jmungus
i expected more from panna

havent bothered to learn more about that movie.

only seen 2 different trailers of it; the older one consisted of dodgy cg`d spidermanesque antics predominantly.

is panna credited as action director ? have only read someone hinting at a connection with the "ong bak/tyg production team" (see channel news asia post below).

thinking what im thinking, and reading what they say about the flick, im guessing this will be another case of learning the truth the hard way, for those who dare to enter the mercury man 8o

anyways, wont be takin the mercury man seriously (or holding it against mr rittikrai for that matter; as long as his involvement isnt actually too big a deal).

he`ll get the proper respect (or another certified geeky movie freaks`online bashing) for "kon fai bin" (dynasty warriors... or is it dynamite warriors !?!)

First Thai superhero to battle Hollywood at box office

Channel NewsAsia

Posted: 18 August 2006 1413 hrs

BANGKOK - Thai filmmakers are hoping that a kickboxing superhero who can scale skyscrapers and deflect bullets will become a box-office rival to Hollywood legends like Superman and Spider-Man.

"Mercury Man", Thailand's first big-screen superhero, burst into cinemas last weekend.

But the producers say their target is the overseas market, with a slick film that has dialogue in Thai and English, and a plot that plays to the sensibilities of a post-September 11 world.

In the film, a firefighter named Chan receives super powers from a religious object as he tries to stop a group of international terrorists from staging an attack.

"Mercury Man" is something of a stretch for Thai audiences, which tend to prefer comedies and ghost stories, the director and screenplay writer acknowledged.

The film debuted at number three at the Thai box office, taking in a disappointing 4.6 million baht (123,000 US dollars) in ticket sales over a four-day holiday weekend.

The producers at Sahamongkol Film, which have found international success with Thai martial arts flicks such as "Ong Bak" and "Tom Yum Goong", say they have higher hopes for international audiences.

"Demand for this type of movie is much bigger in the international market, which is our main target," director Bandid Thongdee told AFP.

"It was very challenging to make it, but it was worth doing even if we can do very little (in marketing) compared to Spider-Man or Superman."

"Mercury Man" was also very inexpensive compared to those films and even local blockbusters, costing only 60 million baht (1.6 million dollars) for two years of production.

The filmmakers said they spent eight months in post-production working on computer animation for fight scenes between Mercury Man -- played by newcomer Vasant Kantauh, better known as "Bombay," a model making his film debut -- and the terrorists.

Trailers for the film have already appeared in Europe, where the producers hope the superhero's "Thai-ness" will set him apart.

"We want to sell the uniqueness of this movie, which is different from any Thai film that has ever been made," a Sahamongkol spokeswoman told AFP.

"In the international market, we think the Thai-ness represented in this film -- through the Thai design of the superhero costume and his style of fighting which is adapted from Thai boxing -- will differentiate our hero and build its success overseas."

During a summer filled with Hollywood superheroes like the X-Men and Superman, Bollywood also unveiled its own masked crime-fighter in the film "Krrish", which became one of India's most successful films of the year.

Film critic Katarzyna Ancuta, a Polish writer who specializes in Thai film, said she believed Mercury Man could find a market overseas.

"The superhero movies are reawakening, with people more and more interested in superheroes. The more global threats we have, the more people need superheroes," she told AFP.

The special effects don't measure up to Hollywood standards, but Ancuta said "Mercury Man" offers something different because of the style of the fight scenes. - AFP

i get the feeling ppl who ve seen the movie will probably say its not exactly consistent with the impression they get from the movie makers`talk (but talk is cheap) :b

i understand mercury man feat. metinee kinpoyome.

shes freakin hot. she was about the only good thing in the uber-craptacular horror-show that was the horrible no-budget action-nightmare 'the mia' (avoid at all costs!!!!!!)

Guest Knockabout

On Ethaicd it says that the disc comes with thai soundtrack and thai subtitles.. But I seem to remember reading somewere that this movie had english dialogue?

Can anybody who have the DVD confirm, whether or not you get enough english dialogue to follow the plot.

Cheers

Guest inchilottaP

I couldn't watch more then 36 seconds of that first clip before the editing made me turn it off.

The second was not as bad but I still didn't finish it.

I think the only thing worse then the editing was the music and the overdone fight sound effects.

Music sounded like something right off of "Genericly Bad Techno Volume 1" if their ever was such a thing.

On another note the spray painting on the wall was funny the first couple times in Thai movies but really it's begun to make the movies seem even more amateur and second rate then they already are.

On Ethaicd it says that the disc comes with thai soundtrack and thai subtitles.. But I seem to remember reading somewere that this movie had english dialogue?

The entire thing is dubbed in Thai. All of the stuff that appears in English in the trailer is dubbed into Thai.

Guest OngBakBata

This movie was a big let down when I saw it in theater. I think that panna did a good job, it was director's edit that made all the fight scenes look very bad. If all the fight scenes weren't zoom in and so many cuts all the time, it would've been awsome. This wasn't panna fault. It was very bad camara angle and bad director. Panna shouldn't have taken this job because his rating will god down for this.

Guest theportlykicker
This wasn't panna fault. It was very bad camara angle

But surely if Panna did choreograph this he would have been the one choosing all the camera angles. The editing was obviously out of his hands though.

Guest theportlykicker

I know, but surely Panna's reputation in Thailand by now is good enough for directors and producers to give him freedom during fight scenes. It's because of him and Jaa that there's this new worldwide interest in Thai action cinema.

Maybe the producers don't give a damn. :x

Saw the entire movie via youtube and thought the fight scenes involving mercury man were okay but fights involving the women were poor. Overall I thought it was an average action film that is better than most martial arts films produced by America.

Archived