Bruce Lee Society Book

saltysam

On 6/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, saltysam said:

I'm sure Michael Worth is a good guy, i buy all his Pearl River Blu rays on release day. However, this project was a crowdfunded one that was being self published. I think people like myself and others,who've shelled out upwards of £50-£70 almost two years ago, deserve the odd update? Is that too much to expect? :wait

Regarding the crowd funded book, MW actually mentioned it on his last podcast. Said he wants to get them out to the backers as soon as possible since we have all waited patiently for it and that he'll be making an announcement soon. So that gives us hope at least that it's still on the cards for a release.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Regarding the crowd funded book, MW actually mentioned it on his last podcast. Said he wants to get them out to the backers as soon as possible since we have all waited patiently for it and that he'll be making an announcement soon. So that gives us hope at least that it's still on the cards for a release.

I hope this isn't just a delaying tactic. The lack of updates to those who handed a fair bit of cash over is poor imo. I await the announcement.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 7/24/2021 at 4:28 AM, saltysam said:

Bruce Li is despised and there's outrage at one point when they find out a cinema in the UK was advertising Fist Of Fury Pt 2 as starring Bruce Lee.

When I first started posting online in the early noughties, the Bruce Li movies were given a lot of stick by film fans. Over the past twenty or so years, opinions have changed a lot. Critirion even including Game of Death 1 & 2 in there Bruce Lee box-set.

• Like 3

I know,and i was around back then and probably had my pitchfork at the ready for Bruce Li at the time. I just find it funny looking back to see it was Bruce Lee or nothing back in those days.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, saltysam said:

I know,and i was around back then and probably had my pitchfork at the ready for Bruce Li at the time. I just find it funny looking back to see it was Bruce Lee or nothing back in those days.

I can now imagine crowds of angry Bruce Lee fans armed with nunchaku, protesting outside a cienma screening Fist of Fury 2.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I can now imagine crowds of angry Bruce Lee fans armed with nunchaku, protesting outside a cienma screening Fist of Fury 2.

They actually marched on the BBFC and got an audience with James Ferman over the censorship issues :smile

• Like 3

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, saltysam said:

They actually marched on the BBFC and got an audience with James Ferman over the censorship issues

As I got interested in Asian action cinema, it was the last days of James Fermans strict censorship. There was no way he was ever going to change his opinion on the matter.

• Like 2

Read some more of the book, Pam Hadden has visited Hong Kong, where she was mortified when visiting Bruce's house what it was being used for. She also met Russell Cawthorne, Jackie Chan briefly and the highlight of her trip was meeting Robert Lee, who told her Bruce didn't smoke, didn't drink and was super healthy :smile She's still on the anti-Bruce Li wagon, though a couple of contributors are advising her the quality of his movies are improving :smile

• Like 3

Book sounds fun- i picked up a load of KFMs years ago but they are very easy to get now! 

Edited by northern b
  • Like 2

Had no idea this existed, but this really looks up my street.

Just looking it up I saw new issues of Bruce Lee Review magazine mentioned  -  didn't know it had come back!

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
On 7/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, saltysam said:

I used to be anti-Bruce Li at that time (young and foolish!) and only got into his films when the VHS era started. I'd only seen EXIT at the time and was obsessed with Lee to notice how good he/it was. I started a new appreciation with Fist 2 on video.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I used to be anti-Bruce Li at that time (young and foolish!) and only got into his films when the VHS era started. I'd only seen EXIT at the time and was obsessed with Lee to notice how good he/it was. I started a new appreciation with Fist 2 on video.

You are getting a lot of mentions Carl.You were a swapaholic! :tongueout

• Like 3

About 2/3rds of the way through this book now, found myself in the swap/sell shop section selling a Super 8 400ft version of Game Of Death with the Inosanto and Jabbar fights. I honestly don't recall selling it there, i do remember my reason for selling was i had the footage transferred to the new kid on the block ,VHS.

They still haven't warmed to Bruce Li, one member writes in asking for his address so they can send a bomb to it :angry

Pam is really angry over the lack of signatures from members for Bruce's hollywood boulevard petition. She's ashamed of them.! I sense Pam is starting to get fed up with the rigours of running the society solo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 5:44 AM, saltysam said:

I hope this isn't just a delaying tactic. The lack of updates to those who handed a fair bit of cash over is poor imo. I await the announcement.

*sigh* i haven't heard any updates on his social media, so maybe you're right afterall.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

18 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

*sigh* i haven't heard any updates on his social media, so maybe you're right afterall.

I paid for the limited edition on January 8th 2020 , so over 17 months ago now. Frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Interesting story in the book that Robert Lee brought across shedloads of copies of his album Ballad Of Bruce Lee to one of the conventions and ended up leaving them for Pam Hadden to flog. Consequently issue after issue of the newsletter ends with Pam obviously desperately trying to flog the unsold copies she'd been left with at £4.50 a pop.

ballad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finished the book, really sad end, the society closed in 1983 without any warning, no goodbye,nothing. No one really sure the full reasons but it's in the book that running the society took a heavy toll on Pam Hadden,who was juggling running it pretty much solo with a stressful full time job at British Airways. She wouldn't talk about Bruce or the Society and she suffered badly health wise,hospitalised for a long period. She passed away in 1991 aged just 49 years :sweating

Edited by saltysam
  • Sad 2

On 8/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, saltysam said:

I paid for the limited edition on January 8th 2020 , so over 17 months ago now. Frustrating.

well, here's another update at last. We've heard this broken record before about Covid delaying the release but I'm still giving MW the benefit of the doubt for now.

Screenshot_2021-09-16 Ultimate Art Book of Bruceploitation Movie Posters.jpg

• Like 1