Bruce Lee Society Book

saltysam

DragonClaws
On 5/31/2021 at 10:36 AM, saltysam said:

I'm very tempted but funds are tight at present with my daughter's wedding coming up next month.

I'm thinking about buying this one too, let us know your thoughts if you do purchase it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm thinking about buying this one too, let us know your thoughts if you do purchase it.

Strangely, the softback version is £6 more from the publisher than from Amazon. I fancy the hardback but it's a hefty £45... i'll probably crack and get it, see how my funds are next week. Need to slow down buying expensive german kung fu blu rays :laugh

• Like 3

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, saltysam said:

Strangely, the softback version is £6 more from the publisher than from Amazon. I fancy the hardback but it's a hefty £45... i'll probably crack and get it, see how my funds are next week. Need to slow down buying expensive german kung fu blu rays

Is there any major differences between the content of the softback and hardback editions?. Hardback editions often come with more pictures, at least this is usually the case with most biography's.

• Like 2

Not that i'm aware of. Books, like LE blu rays are getting expensive these days. I'm still waiting for the LE crowdfunded Brucepoitation poster book i paid for seems like 2 years ago now :sweating

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

Not that i'm aware of. Books, like LE blu rays are getting expensive these days. I'm still waiting for the LE crowdfunded Brucepoitation poster book i paid for seems like 2 years ago now :sweating

I wrote to them asking for an update ..its taking bloody ages! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saltysam said:

I also recently inquired about it and nada. The last update was that he found a different printer but there was a backlog due to orders held over during Covid. hope there is another update soon just for reassurance sake.

• Like 2

I went ahead and ordered if off Amazon. I wanted to order the limited edition set & t shirt from their webstore but international shipping was $40!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

I will pick it up at some point,being at an age where this book would bring back some nostalgic memories for me

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I also recently inquired about it and nada. The last update was that he found a different printer but there was a backlog due to orders held over during Covid. hope there is another update soon just for reassurance sake.

It's a bit poor tbh.Starting to have doubts about whether the book will ever materialise.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, saltysam said:

It's a bit poor tbh.Starting to have doubts about whether the book will ever materialise.

Getting a book out/published takes a lot of effort. Some authors have spent many many years trying to find a publisher, thats before you start with any other issues. Michael Worth is a good guy, and I trust he will deliver the book.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Getting a book out/published takes a lot of effort. Some authors have spent many many years trying to find a publisher, thats before you start with any other issues. Michael Worth is a good guy, and I trust he will deliver the book.

I'm sure Michael Worth is a good guy, i buy all his Pearl River Blu rays on release day. However, this project was a crowdfunded one that was being self published. I think people like myself and others,who've shelled out upwards of £50-£70 almost two years ago, deserve the odd update? Is that too much to expect? :wait

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

45 minutes ago, saltysam said:

I've caved and ordered the variant hardback edition. £6.95 postage on top :speechless

I received my copy the next day from Amazon and I realize it's just 30 years worth of newsletters compiled in book form but it's interesting for me as I have little knowledge of the UK Bruce Lee fan scene. It's a time machine and nostalgic to read that's for sure.

• Like 3

Started reading this, the qr codes dotted through the book are a nice touch, scan them and they take you to various videos etc.

• Like 3

yeah, those veoh vids are definitely a nice touch and pretty neat. So keep your mobile close to you when you read this haha.

• Like 3

I'm about 200 pages into this and while great for nostalgia purposes the content is very much of it's time. It's gets very repetitive and i don't know how we coped with no internet back then :smile Solid information is sparse and most newsletters revolve around Pam Hadden banging on about including SAE'S in correspondence, censorship cuts, pen pals, swap shops and lists of places you could pick up Bruce Lee memoribila. Bruce Li is despised and there's outrage at one point when they find out a cinema in the UK was advertising Fist Of Fury Pt 2 as starring Bruce Lee. Fair dos but they completely gloss over the fact that it's actually a decent follow up. I'm up to the point where Jackie Chan has come on the scene and they don't seem keen on him either, mentioning his big nose a fair bit. Also noticeable that in the pre home video days, how popular Super 8 collecting was. There is little love for the Clouse GOD either but Pam it seems likes Carradine and The Silent Flute movie and was angry about it's poor distribution in the UK.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4