Mark and Jack Long

ShawAngela

Question

I have two questions.

I'm now a little bit able to recognize Jack Long in movies since I saw him in Seven Grandmasters, Broken Oath, Shaolin Invincibles, Boxer's adventures, and I think that he is an underrated actor.

I'd like to know if him and Mark Long are brothers, and also, if anyone know something about his birth date and if he is still alive ? Each time I see him, he looks so young in his movies ! I just saw him as the fan fighter in Shaolin invincibles and he looked great and, again, so young !

And here is a third question : was he a real martial artist, or just like Beardy, excellent at mimicking the moves ?

TheShaolinInvincibles+1977-30-b.jpg

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 7

TibetanWhiteCrane

Not brothers, that is just some bullshit spewed by the ever reliable Ric Meyers. Jack Long was in the Taiwanese Opera school with Lee Yi Min etc.

And I believe he's very much alive.... seen him around Facebook at least in the last five years in pics with some of the other old school Taiwanese guys having dinner and such.

• Like 7

On 4/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, ShawAngela said:

According to what I was told by a Chinese friend of mine when I was at the university, people from the same family in China have the same family name and, if they are from the same generation, they also share the same second name, knowing that, normally, each Chinese people has three names in his name (well, I'm not very clear, sorry...).

For instance, Liu Chia Liang and his brother Liu Chia Yung share their family name Liu, and since they are from the same generation, they also share Chia.

As Mark Long and Jack Long Chinese names have the same "Long " character, but not the same second name character, I believe that they aren't brothers at all, but I asked this question after having read in an old post someone talking about " The Long brothers ", so, I wondered...

Not everyone seems to keep to that generational name nowadays though. Say for example Peter Chan Lung, and Billy Chan Wui Ngai. They're brothers, but (as far as we know) don't share a generational name. Likewise with the likes of the Yuen clan, Chin Siu Ho and Chin Kar Lok etc.

And depending on the individual family, the generational name can be shared by everyone born to that family in that specific generation, so cousins could share it. And sometimes it differs between male and female offspring. The generational name is sometimes decided generations in advance (it can be written beforehand in a family register, maybe by a grandfather or another elder family member). I'm not 100% sure if there is more to it than that 

As for Mark and Jack Long, I've never been sure. I also heard that they just used stage names, so I'm especially unsure. 

• Like 2

I too wonder if Mark and Jack Long are brothers. Someone on the old fandom mentioned they were brothers, but due to their features, I always question if it was true. I am aware sibling don't always have to look alike. I'm even more curious now to find out if they really are siblings. It sucks little information is known about some of the lesser known kung fu stars. It seems like most of them disappeared after the kung fu movie scene died down.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Not brothers, that is just some bullshit spewed by the ever reliable Ric Meyers.

That clears that up. LOL. Oh good ol' Ric Meyers.

daffy duck no GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to what I was told by a Chinese friend of mine when I was at the university, people from the same family in China have the same family name and, if they are from the same generation, they also share the same second name, knowing that, normally, each Chinese people has three names in his name (well, I'm not very clear, sorry...).

For instance, Liu Chia Liang and his brother Liu Chia Yung share their family name Liu, and since they are from the same generation, they also share Chia.

As Mark Long and Jack Long Chinese names have the same "Long " character, but not the same second name character, I believe that they aren't brothers at all, but I asked this question after having read in an old post someone talking about " The Long brothers ", so, I wondered...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SMK said:

6 hours ago, SMK said:

That clears that up. LOL. Oh good ol' Ric Meyers.

daffy duck no GIF by Looney Tunes

I love Daffy ! With Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck, it's one of my favorite cartoon hero !! It's so funny !!

• Like 3

If I'm not mistaken, both of those are just stage names as well. Which might have lent credence to the brother theory.

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane
21 minutes ago, Asmo said:

If I'm not mistaken, both of those are just stage names as well. Which might have lent credence to the brother theory.

It's Lung Sai Ga and Lung Koon Mo for Jack and Mark respectively, so they could be, but they're not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

It's Lung Sai Ga and Lung Koon Mo for Jack and Mark respectively, so they could be, but they're not.

I was under the impression that those too were stage names. They're credited by a few different names (including surnames) which makes me lean a bit closer to thinking that Long/Lung isn't even their surname.

Plus, their surname is written with an uncommon character which makes me think it's an incredible coincidence if those aren't stage names entirely.

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Asmo said:

I was under the impression that those too were stage names. They're credited by a few different names (including surnames) which makes me lean a bit closer to thinking that Long/Lung isn't even their surname.

Plus, their surname is written with an uncommon character which makes me think it's an incredible coincidence if those aren't stage names entirely.

You never know with the 50 aliases most of these actors have, and often their real given name isn't known at all.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

You never know with the 50 aliases most of these actors have, and often their real given name isn't known at all.

Very true. I did see a Chinese resource that gave Jack Long's real name as Long Shi Jia, but they mightn't even know. That's one thing that makes it hard with a lot of these actors, it's difficult sometimes to even connect them with different aliases until you see them credited in different films and the same actor pops up.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Regarding "wrong brothers", for some time I thought that Wong Ching and Wang Chung were brothers, I don't remember why, apart from the obvious fact that they share the same - markedly common - family name, and play in a lot of Shaw movies. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Regarding "wrong brothers", for some time I thought that Wong Ching and Wang Chung were brothers, I don't remember why, apart from the obvious fact that they share the same - markedly common - family name, and play in a lot of Shaw movies. 

Really ? They aren't brothers ? It seems to me that I had read that  they indeed were somewhere, maybe on hkmdb...

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 1/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, ShawAngela said:

Really ? They aren't brothers ? It seems to me that I had read that  they indeed were somewhere, maybe on hkmdb...

My bad. Just reading the Fu Sheng biography and it's mentioned there too that they are brothers. 

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

Reading this disappoints me. I remember listening to the Ric Meyers commentary on the Ninja Checkmate dvd and thought it was so cool they were brothers. What a shame. 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
On 4/19/2021 at 6:21 AM, Duel to the Death said:

I remember listening to the Ric Meyers commentary on the Ninja Checkmate dvd

There's your mistake right there......

The same comm I believe, where Ric is very adamant that the film was shot in Hong Kong and not Taiwan.

And also reads a full review of the film from HKMDB while also regaling us all with the ENTIRE rule book to chinese checkers.... oh, Ric.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In his 7 Grandmasters commentary for Eureka's Cinematic Vengeance set, Frank Djeng said at least three times (in the first half an hour), that Jack and Mark are brothers.

So what now, will this question get a definitive answer?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Someone ask Toby Russell so we can settle this shit once and for all. I've always been told by several knowledgeable people that they were not..... no matter what Ric Meyers say.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

In my humble opinion, since they seem to be from the same generation, the second Chinese character of their Chinese name should be the same. If you check it on hkmdb, you can see that even if they share the same first character for Long, their second character is very different.

When I tried to learn Chinese a long while ago, I was told that the first character was the family name, the second was the name of the generation (so, brothers shared the same second character in their respective names), and the third character was what we would call their first name in our side of the world.

In addition to that, they don't share any ressemblance...

• Like 4

Well that's it then. It's official, Jack and Mark Long are not brothers. 

Ric Meyers definitely shouldn't be trusted and both Frank Djeng and Michael Worth were wrong in their claims. Perhaps someone should tell that to Frank, I belive @Hong Kong Cinema Appreciation Society is in contact with him.  

Thanks for providing the definitive answer @NoKUNGFUforYU

• Like 2