Dog Bite Dog (2006)

Guest dyenboy

Guest dyenboy

Jus saw this movie..and while there isn't any martial arts in the movie..I thought the movie was very brutal and a very good ending..

if anyone gets the chance to watch this movie or buy..i think its worth a watch..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Not much talk about this movie from the KFC community but like The Raid 2 or before it, when this film bites, it's locking its jaws on you like a bitch and won't let go. Still holds up and its up there as the best hard hitting brutality films of the last decade or so.

One Armed Boxer

It's been years since I've seen this, however it does stand up as pretty much the only movie I'm able to tolerate Edison Chen, coming out only a year before the whole photo scandal blew up and mercifully had the side effect of wiping him off the HK movie scene.

I agree it's a relentlessly brutal and grim ride, and I loved the animalistic sound effects that were applied when Chen & Sam Lee first go at each other in the land fill site. It's the type of movie which makes you want to take a shower after watching it.

For me the ending went a little OTT with the whole birth scene and circle of life thing, but for the majority of its run time 'Dog Bite Dog' is a pretty satisfying ride of brutality, from the director who just brought us the ridiculously colourful 'The Monkey King' of all things.

Never even heard of this movie until I read this thread.. Watched the trailer and daaaammmmnnn.. It looks intense! I'm going to check it out sometime this week! I'm assuming from the comments, it's worth a watch?

One Armed Boxer
Never even heard of this movie until I read this thread.. Watched the trailer and daaaammmmnnn.. It looks intense! I'm going to check it out sometime this week! I'm assuming from the comments, it's worth a watch?

Definitely worth a watch, dark & vicious throughout and only let down slightly by its ending. Be warned though this isn't a kung-fu flick in any way whatsoever. At a push, you'd have to most likely say the style is like a modern day basher when the fists do come.

For anyone who has never checked this out, the trailer is below -

xbbM_0jcTdQ

For me the ending went a little OTT with the whole birth scene and circle of life thing, but for the majority of its run time 'Dog Bite Dog' is a pretty satisfying ride of brutality, from the director who just brought us the ridiculously colourful 'The Monkey King' of all things.

Soi Cheang's done worse than a loose version of a classic tale. Like Home Sweet Home and Shamo which were so contrived and all over the place respectively.

Definitely check out Love Battlefield, Accident, and Motorway from the same director.

Sam Lee is great in this film. I've always liked that guy!

That trailer is loaded with spoilers.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Sam Lee is fantastic in this, especially the cop/detective role. Does he have any more films where he plays the hard boiled cop? He seems to excel in it. Anyone?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Not much talk about this movie from the KFC community but like The Raid 2 or before it, when this film bites, it's locking its jaws on you like a bitch and won't let go. Still holds up and its up there as the best hard hitting brutality films of the last decade or so.

Yup, totally agree. I had no idea the film was going to be so dark or brutal. It took my by surprise.

It's been years since I've seen this, however it does stand up as pretty much the only movie I'm able to tolerate Edison Chen, coming out only a year before the whole photo scandal blew up and mercifully had the side effect of wiping him off the HK movie scene.

I thought he was good in the INFERNAL AFFAIRS films, and was also entertaining as the vampire in THE TWINS EFFECT (2003, aka. Vampire Effect). Even in those you didn't like him?

I agree it's a relentlessly brutal and grim ride, and I loved the animalistic sound effects that were applied when Chen & Sam Lee first go at each other in the land fill site. It's the type of movie which makes you want to take a shower after watching it.

Well put. It is an ultra-grungy film. In the Making Of they said that they shot at a real dump during certain scenes and that the stench was absolutely overwhelming. It feels like it nearly comes through the TV when watching it. I'm glad that this film wasn't shot in "Odorama" like POLYESTER (1981) was, with each audience member receiving a scratch 'n' sniff card to use when prompted! :crossedlips:

I also thought the sound editing with the dog sounds was cool, but became too OTT towards the end. It was better when those sounds were kind of buried in the music and other sound effects. Once it became more obvious I thought it was a little silly.

When it ended with that insane final scene I remember thinking "Did I really just see that?" :tongue:

Definitely. Hope you enjoy it.

The Dragon Dynasty relese of this is excellent, and can be picked up for cheap on eBay.

About $6.00 with shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dog-Bite-Dog-/400698787293?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item5d4b8245dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dog-Bite-Dog-DVD-2007-/221413979111?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item338d4d33e7

That trailer is loaded with spoilers.

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER! It's loaded with SPOILERS. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sam Lee is fantastic in this, especially the cop/detective role. Does he have any more films where he plays the hard boiled cop? He seems to excel in it. Anyone?

Shit. I know I've seen him in something else like that, but I can't remember what it was. INVISIBLE TARGET maybe?

Yes, Bob, he had a small cop role in Invisible Target. I'd say it's very likely you've seen him elsewhere. He did 16 films in 1999 alone. :xd:

His first starring role was in Fruit Chan's Made in Hong Kong. A great debut performance it was, too!

He's had plenty of cop roles, most recently in The Constable along side Simon Yam, but he's mostly known for doing comedies.

Each of those dvd copies has English subtitles right? I just want to make sure but I'm going to buy one of them now

Ordered! I can't wait to watch it now. If anyone can reccomcend anymore movies just like this, that would be amazing!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yes, Bob, he had a small cop role in Invisible Target. I'd say it's very likely you've seen him elsewhere. He did 16 films in 1999 alone. :xd:

Oh yeah, I've seen him in a ton of stuff. I think the first time was probably in BEAST COPS (1998) or BIO-ZOMBIE (1998). I'm very familiar with him. I was actually trying to recall if I'd seen him play this kind of role...

Does he have any more films where he plays the hard boiled cop? He seems to excel in it. Anyone?

... specifically in response to OpiumKungFuCracker's question. But I definitely appreciate you coming forward with that info to help me anyway. Thanks. :bigsmile:

Each of those dvd copies has English subtitles right? I just want to make sure but I'm going to buy one of them now

Would I steer you wrong? :smile:

Ordered! I can't wait to watch it now. If anyone can reccomcend anymore movies just like this, that would be amazing!

I hope you enjoy it.

I'll try to think of some other films along these lines.

One Armed Boxer
If anyone can reccomcend anymore movies just like this, that would be amazing!

Well, on the presumption that you enjoy it once you've watched it, the movie which closely resembles it in terms of tone and sheer brutality in my opinion is the Korean movie 'I Saw the Devil'.

There's a thread for it here, but be warned it's loaded with spoilers -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12196

I saw the devil is one of my favorite movies all time. Thanks for the recommendation tho. I love movies like that. So if this is anything even close to I saw the devil, then I'll love it!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Well, on the presumption that you enjoy it once you've watched it, the movie which closely resembles it in terms of tone and sheer brutality in my opinion is the Korean movie 'I Saw the Devil'.

Good call!

I guess I was only trying to think of other HK films that were similar. Don't know why I was thinking in such specific terms.

I saw the devil is one of my favorite movies all time. Thanks for the recommendation tho. I love movies like that. So if this is anything even close to I saw the devil, then I'll love it!

Okay (I loved it too), then you should check out THE YELLOW SEA too. It's another South Korean film and it's really good.

Never heard of Yellow Sea. Ima check it out for sure!! Thanks guys.. These are my favorite kinda movies so I really appreciate the suggestions.

Cold Bishop
Definitely check out Love Battlefield, Accident, and Motorway from the same director.
I will co-sign this. Soi Cheang is one of the best filmmakers working in Hong Kong right now (And I think both Shamo and Home Sweet Home are interesting in their own right).

Archived