Karado: The Hong Kong Cat

Boards Fight Back

Boards Fight Back

This is one of my favourite martial arts films, with the underrated Nick Cheung Lik as the young hero, and Bolo Yeung as the main villain. The battle on the boat near the end is incredible...

You can see it on the Wu Tang Collection channel on YouTube. But it's a slightly shorter version called Superior Youngster. The raunchy scenes got cut. So there is no scene with Bolo's man boobs getting massaged. 

According to the magazine Variety, this film topped the U.S. box office in 1973. That was some year for Kung Fu movies. ;)

What is Cheung Lik doing nowadays? I hope he hasn't passed away. I know that Lo Lieh died back in 2002. He was great as well, but he isn't a name that many people know, unlike Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, of course. 

Edited by Boards Fight Back
  • Like 2

Two fights from this movie--including the finale--were spliced into the American theatrical release of Bruce Lee: A Dragon Story. They are superior to any action from that movie.

• Like 2

Boards Fight Back

I seen a clip from a movie where Chang Nik was fighting Bruce Le, and he had a wig and a beard. While these Bruce Lee imitators were competent fighters in their own right, it's not fair to take advantage of a legend's passing to milk similar movies. There will NEVER be another Bruce Lee.

It's a big shame, but I think Cheung Lik eventually grew tired of appearing in shady Bruceploitation flicks, and so he felt retirement was the right thing to choose. Even though he was great at martial arts, once Jackie Chan came along and made it big, he probably just decided to quit the acting business while he was ahead. He did work as an instructor on productions up to 1994, according to his entry on hkfact.com, but no information is available on him besides his credits. 

As a matter of fact, Cheung Lik was credited as Jackie Chin and Jacky Chang in a few movies of questionable quality, due to his resemblance to the young Jackie Chan. Maybe his real name really isn't even Nick Cheung Lik either. But regardless, he probably just grew fed up of appearing in nothing but crappy, low budget efforts. I'd give it up too, if someone only seen me as a marketing gimmick. 

• Like 3

What did you think of 10 Magnificent Killers? Cheung Lik looked great in his fight scenes in that. Haven't heard anything about him passing to my knowledge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boards Fight Back said:

I haven't seen that movie. 

:laluot_20:

Check it out if you get the chance, it's filled with fights and he even gets to go at it with Bolo Yeung. Cheung and his co star pull off some great kicking too, especially in the finale. :cool

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Don't forget he dodges bullets!

I don't even remember that part in the film lol, I'll have to revisit it cause it's been quite a while.

• Like 3

My bad, thought you meant 10 Magnificent Killers had the bullet dodging. That was hilarious with him dodging the lead by moving side to side. Had never seen Superior Youngster before but the choreography in it just looks to sloppy for my taste, seems Japanese Connection was around the same level. Kung Fu Conspiracy, another early basher of his, I thought he seemed to look  better in from what I remember for some reason.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, CT KID said:

My bad, thought you meant 10 Magnificent Killers had the bullet dodging. That was hilarious with him dodging the lead by moving side to side. Had never seen Superior Youngster before but the choreography in it just looks to sloppy for my taste, seems Japanese Connection was around the same level. Kung Fu Conspiracy, another early basher of his, I thought he seemed to look  better in from what I remember for some reason.

The sort of Kung Fu/Tae Kwon Do form he does at the beginning is pretty cool, you have to admit, but everyone is sort of flaying away, you are right. It was a hit when it came out though, at least in the hood. Tan Tao Liang and the rest hadn't really arrived so just throwing high kicks was impressive.

• Like 3

Boards Fight Back

I looked and looked, but I cannot find anything about where Lik Cheung is nowadays.

I messaged a group on Facebook, and was told he may be in Taiwan, but I don't think anybody knows what became of him. In fact, he has a different name in just about every movie he is in. Chang Nik, etc. :D 

Jacky Chang? Seriously? :P

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 5:23 PM, saltysam said:

Great movie, i have the german hartbox DVD.

what language options are on there?

• Like 2

Boards Fight Back

I watch it on YouTube a lot, for free. :cool

I don't generally buy non horror DVDs, as I would have no room left.

• Like 2